It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
(female)

mshatch HB User
Im stuck is there any middle?

Hey Everyone,
I hope this finds you all well. I haave a question. I have been on Lortab 10 for years now and my body is getting very ammune to it. A few weeks ago my PM dr decided that it was time for me to have a stronger med so she went from Hydocodone to Oxycodone. I felt like I was in another world, I guess my body couldnt handle the change. What I would like to know is if there is anything in the middle of those two drugs. The real name of the oxycodone was roxicodone. Is there anything thats more gentle? I would like to know so I could suggest it. Thanks for the help.
Mshatch

Old 04-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Im stuck is there any middle?

There's really no in between the two. It's my understanding that the Oxy is just a long acting form of the hydro without the APAP. What dosage did your doctor put you on and how frequently do you take it?
When most folks have problems with oxy they tend to go with MS Contin, or morphine. Both meds can take a bit to adjust to at first but once you do you're fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey MS,

From Hydro to Oxy, there is not much in between. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Morphine. If you look at a an equianalgesic chart, you will see that Oxycodone is approximately 1.5 x stronger than Morphine Mg to Mg. Some people think that Morphine is the strongest drug out, however, that is untrue.

However, Hydrocodone (lortab) is about equal with Morphine mg to mg. Morphine may be slightly stronger but not by much.

The only other suggestion that I would have is to compound. Your Dr could write you a script to have Hydrocodone compunded. This is where they can make a stronger hydrocodone (more than 10 mg) and put as much or little of Tylenol (apap) in it as the Dr wants. So they if you are currently taking 3 10mg tabs at a time, the dr could write it for 30/100. This way you are getting 30 mg of hydro and only 100mg of tylenol.

Take Care

Old 04-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

mshatch, you don't mention the mgs. of hydrocodone you were taking and what amount of oxycodone you went to. Regardless of the medication, so much of it depends on the actual dose. Three tylenol #4's are about twice as strong as 10mg. of oxycodone (you eventually run into other problems but this is a simple conversion).

Sometimes just switching the med.that you are taking provides much better pain relief simply because it affects different receptors - which is why when most PM's change a patient from one med. to another, they start at about 1/2 of the expected conversion.

So if you were taking 100mg. of Hydrocodone a day to convert that to oxy it would be 65-70 but your Dr. may start you off at 45mg. with the goal being to treat the pain effectively with the lowest dose.

Maybe you just need to adjust the dose of the oxycodone down a bit? Are you taking the meds. as needed or are you on a schedule?

Chaz

Old 04-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

mshatch HB User

Hey Guys
Thanks for the advice and great answers. OK this is what I am currently back on...Lortab 10 6xs a day as needed. I am not "exactly" sure but I think it was roxicodone 30 mg 4xs a day. I was only on it for 2 weeks hence I go to my PM dr every
2 weeks. I do like the idea of compounding but I have never heard of that going on in this area. I will certainly ask. Any other suggestions would greatly br appreciated. You all always give me great suggestions I love having this board to come to. Thanks you all are very helpful.
Always
mshatch

Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
(male)

Amsterdam HB User

If you were taking 6 lortab 10's and then went to 4 roxi 30's that is more than doubling your dose. 120mg of Oxy is quite a jump from 60mg of hydro.

Taking one of the 30mg roxi's would have been like you taking about 3-4 of the lortab 10's at one time.

Last edited by Amsterdam; 04-17-2006 at 10:21 PM.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Amsterdam is right. If you are taking 60 mg daily of Hydro and you are now taking 120 mg of Oxy daily, that is a significant jump. Remember that Oxy is about 1.5 x stronger than Hydro.

You said you are taking 30 mg tabs. They make oxycodone without tylenol from 5 mg to 30 mg. Maybe if you asked your Dr to lower the Mg's, it would give you a little more room to flucuate your dose started with something smaller and moving up as needed. Instead of going the other way.

As far as compounding goes, just call a few pharmacies and see if the compound. The nice thing about compounding is that your Dr can write a script that is custom made to your needs. Now, not all Dr's will do this, and you probably want to check with your insurance company, but at least it is there as an option.

Hope everything works out for you.
Take Care

Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
(female)

mshatch HB User

Hey Amsterdam and aranger,
Thanks. I knew the oxy was a strong one. She told me that with all the difficulty I was having she thought it appropriate. I went to her yesterday and forgot to ask but I go back in two weeks and I will ask her for a lower dose. My main concern after taking it was I felt lost. I guess it was because of the higher dose. If she dose put me on a lower dose how long do you think it will take for my body to adjust. Keep in mind that I have been on Lortab 10's for yrs and I think that is where the problem lias. Now also keep in mind that I am on valium , soma and triavil (anti depressant) and also lunesta for sleep. My insurance does pay for my scripts and I am not to surre they would go for that. The last insurance we had wanted to drop me because of the extent of medical problems I have. I cant tell you all how much your replies mean to me. I learn so much from you all. I think your all awesome.
mshatch

Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i do think that another possible option for you would just to change the delivery system for the oxy by actually going to oxycontin.since this is a time released med,you would never be slammed with the really high dose all at once as with something like the roxicodone.just by switching to the oxycontin you would get a real nice easy steady flow of the oxy without the side effects of that all at once full release.I really would speak with your PM about this.you would gain the needed change from the hydro to oxy but by using the time released mechanism,you wouldn't get the all at once release type of problems.just a thought.marcia

Old 04-19-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I agree with Marcia on the oxycontin idea. That way the meds will be released into your body throughout the day rather than pumping in all at once and making you feel "lost" after taking it all. It's worth mentioning to your doctor at least. You could even call them before your next appointment. It might be a decision they can make over the phone....

Tina

Closed Thread