It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
(male)

shakorox HB User
Do PM clinics do background checks?

I'm going to a new pain clinic as the current one I go to turned out to be a needle-pushing pain in the a$$ clinic. I was being pushed around by the white-coats. It seemed like the only reason they were interested in my pain is because its located near to were I keep my wallet, in my back pocket.

I have my first consult with the PM Doc wed 4/3/06 @ 8:30am. His office just called and interigated me about my medications, who perscribes, when they perscribed, and if they are willing to continue perscribing! They asked me about the pharmicies I use and thier numbers. I was nervous and had to retrace my answers to make sure I didn't miss anything, I think I forgot to mention my Lyrica The lady on the phone made sure to tell me that if the doctor decides to take over my med treatment plan it may take up to a month before he actually does so because of the paperwork involved

So does this sound like the norm for a PM clinic? Like I said, the one I have been going to only does injections, they said they are "an interventional" pain clinic only. This is why I was referred to the new clinic by my GP. I hope it goes well, that call made me nervous.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
(female)

txmomof3 HB User
Re: Do PM clinics do background checks?

I don't think they do "background checks," but I am almost sure that when switching between clinics that a good PM doc would retrace your steps when it comes to your pain history. These docs are monitored closely by the DEA, and they want to stay in practice. They also want to make sure they are treating you correctly, and not using two or three docs and different pharmacies. They want to check and make sure of several things: that your PCP and other docs are aware of you being in PM, that you are discontinuing your relationship with your previous pain clinic, your record of refills (are you refilling on time or are you refilling too soon?), how many docs are prescribing you pain meds, etc. If you forgot to tell them about the Lyrica, I would call back and tell them. When people call me, there are often things that I forget about...and it is better to tell them yourself than for them to find out from the pharmacy (this builds trust).
Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

What you experienced is pretty normal. It is the doctors way of trying to rule out that a person could potentially be a drug abuser.
If you forgot to mention a medication I would suggest you call the nurse back and let her know about it and that you weren't sure if you mentioned it or not. By not disclosing the information the doctor may decide to not treat you even though it is an honest mistake.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
(male)

shakorox HB User

I called back, they are pretty nice there. They thanked me for letting them know. I'm not worried, it's not like I have anything to hide. I'm still nervous about seeing the new doc though.

Thanks,
-Derek-

Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Ssshak, I had to weight to get into a clinic untill thhey had letters from both my surgeon and GP stating they understood the clinic would be handling all my PM/ back related prescriptions. They wanted it in writing that the case and prescribing of all meds had been turned over.

If more docs took these kind of precautions, less doc shoppers would make it in the doors putting the docs and every legit patient at risk. Checking with pharmacies for patterns of behavior makes sense too. The pharmacist know who is bringing in scripts from multiple docs, notorious docs and wasted when they pick meds up. I'd rather my doc be tough than be a soft touch for anyone that complaines.
JMO. Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread