It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User
About to get my first Epidural Injection for pain

Hello again, second "thread", here.

Was wondering about anyone's experience/experiences with Epidural Injections for pain. I am getting my first on Thursday morning and to say I am scared is an understatement. I had an S.I. Join injection on both sides of my spine (into my sciatic joint); which was extremely uncomfortable and a pressure sensation that no human should ever have to experience! Unfortunaately, that was not a success. I guess I'm afraid of both of those situtations, the pain and what if it doesn't help? Can someone "walk" me through it? If I'm typically extremely apprehensive on a "good" day at the Doctor! is there something they can give me to not hyperventilate?

Any real. honest help would so greatly be appreciated. I'll be checking back often and I hope to get some valuable info.

Take care all!
Barb`

Old 05-14-2006, 03:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: About to get my first Epidural Injection for pain

Hi Barb. You didn't mention what part of your body is involved regarding the epidural. I have had the same procedure done that you have gone through with the sacral joints. I had an excellent doctor who told me that she basically does these injections and other injection-type procedures all day long, 5 days a week. I guess that's why my sacral joint experience wasn't really bad at all. She used flouroscopy to guide her before the injection. I sure hope we are talking about the same thing here! Anyway, I also had the procedure done on my back and my surgeon did the procedure himself. If I had to choose which one was the least comfortable of the two, I'd say it was the sacral joint injection. There's no harm in asking your doc for something to help you relax before the procedure. He may give you a shot or call in a prescription for Valium to take before going in. Just make sure you have someone to drive you there and home if you're going to take anything like that. Good luck! I hope it works out well for you Barb. Take care - KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User

Dear Kathy:

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and for sharing your experience with me.

It's actually for severe, lower back pain. I have a torn disc, Pars Defect and severe Fibromyalgia that has basically been "enraged" by a slip/fall which caused me to sprain my neck and spine.

The SI injections sound like they were done the same way as yours, my Dr. used the xray machine (some name I can't remember) and gave me the shots according to the pictures. It was excruciating for me (don't know why)! There was such a horrible pressure.

Well, hopefully, as you said, the Epidural shot won't be as painful. It's just the unknown, I guess?

Did you get alot of relief from the Epid. shot? I hope I at least get relief from this pain that nothing seems to help!

Do you take any nerve pain medication? Just curious if you do, how you like it, which one? side effects? etc.

Thanks again so much for your time and I hope to "hear" from you again, soon.

Take good care,
Barb

Old 05-14-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

If you search through the posts you'll see many comments regarding the these types of injections and the common consensous is don't have one. Several individuals here have had them done numerous times, all with a failed result. There are a few folks who did have success with them. There is a report called the Burton Report which outlines why these types of proceedures can be bad for you as a whole.

My experience was a horrendous one and the doctor did use a flouroscope. Some doctors will sedate you when doing them because they are quite painful. You can ask your doctor for some sort of sedation or something to relax you.

The injection was not effective for me and is the case of most individuals. The injection actually made my back much worse permanently as a result. My doctor and I have an agreement that he will never subject me to another one which is fine with me!

Barbie

Old 05-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Hi bjeanne, I'm scheduled to have a steriod injection on May 5th and I am seriously nervous also. I have found a lot of support here and on the spinal cord board. My pain dr is going to be doing the injection. I told him how terrified I was and he will be giving me something in my IV to help me relax before hand. If you're not scheduled to see your dr. before your injection I would call his office and let them know you need something. I'm sure that they would be happy to give you what you might need. I wish I had something to help will the fear in the meantime!! I just try not to think about it. Please keep in touch and let us know how everything went!! Good Luck!

Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey BJ,

An epidural is just that. Medication is injected into the epidural space of the spine. I've had several injections over the years and many spinal surgeries. The epidurals can be a little painful and take a bit longer than some of the nerve blocks and other injections they do.

Many doctors will use a Versed/Fentanyl mix for sedation. Versed (Midazolam) is a stong Benzo with amnesia qualities and Fentanyl is a potent pain killer. The use both these in small amounts generally through an IV just before the procedure. The effects don't last long, which is why it makes it good for this procedure. Some Docs are using Diprivan in a small amount before the procedure. This is the same med they use for general anesthesia. You'll know because it looks like milk and makes your body feel increadibly heavy.

Either way, you can ask your doc for sedation before the procedure. Make sure you call the office soon and request it. Its a pretty common practice so they should accomodate that request as many people get nervous. It actually helps doc that is doing the procedure because you are less likely to move around while he is doing it if you are sedated.

Epidurals feel different to every person. I've been at the clinic waiting for mine and seen some people walk into the procedure room and come out with no sedation and look fine. Others come out and just look loaded from all the meds the doc had to give them to keep them still. It really depends on your injuries and sensitivity in that area.

I hope they have no problem giving you some sedation before the procedure, but I would be calling in advance and talking to the nurse. I think you'll find it to be a much better experience with the sedation.

Make sure you give it about 10 days before you expect to see any results from an epidural. I'm sure you'll do fine, and I hope you get good relief from it.

Let us know how it went for you.

Take Care

Old 05-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

After reading the posts subsequent the one I left, I can tell you I feel very, very, very lucky!! My doc didn't even suggest a sedative and when I asked about it he said I wouldn't need it. I must either have excellent docs who know exactly where they're shootin', or I have a higher threashold of pain than I thought! Now when I had my Mylogram....THAT WAS HELL!!@! I wanted to kill the doctor...but he kept yelling at me, "Don't move!! Stay still!!," I was screaming at him to stop the procedure. He kept telling me he was almost done (that was a lie!) Of course I had no sedation for the mylogram either. So now I don't know what to tell you - I guess the bottom line is always the same - each person will react differently to the same medication or procedure. It depends on so many things. Don't cancel it because of fear. Bluesteam and Arranger have the best advice - call the doc in advance and ask about the twighlight sedation or if they have something you can take. It sure makes alot of sense to me that, like Arranger said, the doc would want you to be as quiet and still as possible and not writhing in pain all over the table. But again, my experience was quite different and I hope your's will be on the pain-free side. Try not to worry Barb - I know that's easier said than done- all the best KathyMac

Old 05-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

hehe I wrote a nice long post and my cat hit the mouse and caused the page to go back! LOL

I hope you don't feel that I was trying to scare you, I wasn't, just being realistic. Definately ask about twilight or perhaps some sort of Valium or Xanex. You may also benefit from a Lidoderm patch which is usually worn the night before and up to the time of the proceedure.

I didn't actually feel the needle going in because of the patch but instead the intense pressure and pain from the medication itself which shot down my legs as it hit the nerves. I think the most important thing of the proceedure in and of itself is that the doctor actually uses a Flouroscope so that they don't have to dig around and they get the spot right the first time.

Be sure to get lots of rest even if you feel great because they do use a numbing medication that will wear off in time. I'm sure they'll tell you but using ice for 15-20 minutes when you get home every hour can help with any residual pain or swelling. Additionally ESI's can sometimes cause severe headaches, it doesn't happen often but does occur. If you have a headache that is extremely intense or lasts for more than 24 hours you should call the doctor and let him know.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

KathyMac--Wow I am sorry about your Mylogram, I was slightly uncomfortable with mine, now I feel very lucky. I had mine in my neck and arm area. I wonder how much further the esi injection goes in compaired to the mylogram??? Is that a stupid question? I am going to ask my dr about using the lidoderm patch before my injection. I am also a little concerned now about the headaches because I had been suffering from really bad ones before he put me on the topamax. I really don't want to risk having any more. I wonder what the chances are. I did watch a program on TV last night about how surgery and injections are way over-used and don't really help, so now I am wondering myself. Because my case is work-comp I don't think I have a choice. I have bulges in my neck and lower back and the dr said you can only put so many steriods in your body at one time, so he wants to treat my neck first. Now, I may need more encouragement myself I don't know. Aranger--does the IV knock you out pretty good??

Old 05-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Blue Stream,

The IV sedation can knock you out depending on if you are opiate naive (no experience with opiates) or have a low tolerance. Both Versed and Fentanyl are very potent. They use these in small doses, but if you've never had them before or have no experience with opiates or benzo, then yes it will make you pretty out of it for a short period of time.

I've seen people come out of the procedure room in a wheelchair being pushed by a nurse because of the sedation. On the other hand, I've had so many that I walk on my own out of there.

If you've never had Versed before, it can cause some amnesia. Which is really a good thing because you really won't remember the procedure. However, I found that the amnesia effect didn't last long with subsequent injections and sedation.

I actually prefer the Diprivan which is what is used for general anesthesia. The doc can load up a large syringe but give it in small amounts to see how you respond. For me, I usually require more than others, but he is able to get it so that I'm just barely awake and really don't care what is happeneing....LOL

Sedation is a good thing in those procedures in my opinion.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Sounds like I will be out cold--thanks. I really am feeling better now. I am, tho, worried about ending up with more headaches beings I am getting this done in my neck area. BJ--be sure to call your dr today!! Let us know what he said. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just another few words on the over-use of injections: My doctor told me not to have any more injections because after a series of them I developed signs and symptoms of Cushings Syndrome. The steroidal type meds that they were using in addition to the numbing medications must have built up in my system and were probably amplified by my daily dose of Prednisone that I take for my RA and scleroderma. Anyway, I developed a big "moon" face and fat deposits on the upper part of my back. I think that the docs had administered about 4 or 5 of these epidural-type injections within a 12 month period before I started to get the symptoms. I wonder if my past experience means that I'll never be able to have injections again, or that enough time has elapsed since this happened that I could try again if needed. Drugs like cortisone/prednisone are "drugs from hell"! They do marvelous, wonderful things for certain conditions - while robbing your body of calcium and generally disturbing most of the bodies normal functions and reactions. Sure wish I could get off the prednisone!!! KathyMac

Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Sounds like I will be out cold--thanks. I really am feeling better now. I am, tho, worried about ending up with more headaches beings I am getting this done in my neck area. BJ--be sure to call your dr today!! Let us know what he said. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #14
(male)

CleveMike HB User

I hope everything went fine(if you have already had the procedure) here is my experience...
I went into the Clinic in Mid April for an S1 Right Transforminal.
I left still in pain. I have 2 herniated discs the L4 & L5. The pain slowly receeded about 25% over the next 2-3 weeks, in the meantime I have been going to Physical Therapy 2 times a week and going through my PT routine several times a day. I had good days and I had bad days...no pain anymore when laying or sitting but standing and walking was still a real test..
My doctor was disappointed in the result and I went in for another injection on Monday May 15 . When I was going through the preop, the doctor suggested doing 2 injections at the same time. Lucky me!!! Twice the fun!!!!
Yes...there is a strange discomfort in the procedure. The L4 injection was much easier for me than the L5, which felt like it was a needle about 4 foot long....to top it off..I had a late afternoon appointment and a horrible headache to begin with and all I could do is go through "hard time" and know that it would be over shortly.
oh yea..I forgot to tell you about my neasuea!...I puked like a fire hydrant right after I got home! I don't know..it was probably a combination of not taking the medication for a few days,the headache..the stress..not eating...no coffee..maybe the double dose of Streroid..I was standing in front of the bathroom sink and felt the neaseau comming on..I reached for the bottle of Pepto..and the plastic seal was still on!! At this point I wished I had nails because the mouth suddenly started to water ...I was finished!!
I had called the doctor and he called in a promethazine script for me..The rest of the day was laying in the dark and finally having some soup about 9pm....then sleep..
The good news! I feel great the next day! My pain in my lower back is all but gone, with the exception of some tingling in my right foot! I am very worried of hurting my back further, but I must continue to do the PT to re-align the discs. I would gladly trade the cost and stress of the procedure for daily PT!
Sorry it was a bit long-winded but that is just part of my experience...the one thing I don't understand...I have talked to many people who have gone through this, and they were never told to do any Physical Therapy..even with just a buldging disc!?!? Why shouldn't anyone that dosen't have a tear ,try and "fix" it more permanently ???They just keep going for more injections?? Maybe $$$$$$$$ has something to do with it!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User

Thank you ALL so VERY much for all of your repllies and help!! i'll be on the phone the first thing tomorrow morning to let the nurses know that I am out of my mind with fear and ask them if they can prepare/be ready for that, and what will they use to help me. I'm terribly scared and yet everything that we've tried to date has not been really successful, so I'm battling the whole "what if" things, what if it doesn't help. doesn't work, etc, etc, and on and on. . you know?

I will definitely let you all know how I make out and I'm so glad to have found this board. Truly, nobobdy gets it unless they've lived it! It's so frustrating. I just wish I could give any one of them just 5 minutes in my body. . I guarantee they'd "lose" their minds!!!

Pray for me, please. . as I do for all of you.

Barb

Closed Thread