It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

lulu222 HB User
Anyone have luck w/ accupuncture?

As of today, I've had three sessions with some success. I am being treated for a possible disc herniation with bone spurs at C5 and bulging disc at L5. None of the doctors I have seen previously have offered any help and the accupunturist said he can help me.

It's going to be fairly expensive to go through with the entire treatment. My insurance wouldn't cover. Just wondering if others have had experiences in this area that can give some idea what to expect.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Anyone have luck w/ accupuncture?

Hi LuLu - A few years back when I was going for weekly massage therapy, my therapist was sharing her office space with a woman who performed accupuncture. At that time I was having severe back pain and was willing to try anything. She was very up-front about her practice and told me that if I didn't feel some relief after 3 sessions, then I shouldn't waste my time and money on the treatments. Unfortunately, I didn't get any relief. I think that mentally I was quite vulnerable to her suggestions and the scenarios she would set up while I was all "needled up"....like, "Think of all your pain draining out of a small hole in your back. It's going deeper and deeper into a space under the table. Your whole body is becoming relaxed, etc., etc." You get the picture. I always felt very relaxed when I was done, but my pain was still there. It turned out that my pain was being caused by a broken vertabrae that hadn't been diagnosed yet. So I wouldn't judge the entire art of accupuncture on my one experience. If needed in the future, I'd be willing to try it again. KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

I've never had accupuncture. I've heard some people say it helped them tremendously and have heard others say not at all. However that is true with many things. Surgery, injections, etc. Some people say surgery fixed them nearly 100%. But many of us here can't say the same.

I would be willing to give it a shot. You can't say it didn't work if you don't try....

Glad to hear its working for you.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Angry Re: Anyone have luck w/ accupuncture?

No, and it was the worst thing that I've ever tried. I got it done at a hospital by a doctor (supposedly) trained in it, but she was an anaesthesiologist first and foremost. Not only did it not help my back pain, but I left with more problems than I went in with:

*I had bruises and huge red marks the size of quarters at each acupuncture point, lasting 2 weeks. Also, from when the under-qualified "doctor" hit the nerves, I have red "track-mark"-looking lines going up and down my arms and legs, so I look like Iím injecting something into my veins.
*From ones that she put in my hands, my thumbs still get numb and have shooting pains (3 weeks later).
*When she put them in, she kept hitting nerves and I'd get shooting pains so bad that I would reach down and ripped them out of my legs myself.

She also tried to incorporate a "sinus" and "eczema" treatment in there because I have chronic sinusitis and I used to have eczema (when I was younger, but it stopped and I haven't had one for over TEN MONTHS). When I left, I had the worst eczema outbreak that I have had in years (and it still hasn't gone away). I'm practically bathing in hydrocortisone cream. I also have a full-blown sinus infection.

I wouldn't wish acupuncture on my worst enemy.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

I went after a car accident - about 6 months afterwards. It helped me tremendously.

I would *love* to go again - can't afford it and insurance won't cover it.

Closed Thread