It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
(male)

shakorox HB User
Unhappy Getting discouraged

I had facet injections two weeks ago and had significant relief for six days so the PM doc thought I could get longet relief with the nerve abilation. I had the test blocks today but they didn't work, I haven't had any relief.

Anybody have any ideas what they will try next, I'm getting discouraged it's been over a year of poking and proding and scans. All teh diagnostic imaging comes out clean, but my PM doc believes that you can't rely on those tests entirely. I don't feel any closer to any decent relief. I'm 26 now and the pain only gts worse as time goes on.

Thanks for listening

-Derek-

Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User
Re: Getting discouraged

Does the medication you take help at all with your pain at least? Has your doctor ever mentioned doing anything more permanent, like surgery options or anything like that? I'm sorry that you did not get the relief that I'm sure you were hoping for with this treatment you had today. That really sucks. I don't have any personal experience with the type of pain you are having but I sure hope they find something to be able to help you soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
(male)

shakorox HB User

Thanks Tina

The meds help but when I have the injections I try not to take any so I can realy assess my pain level. Unfortunatly aside from the facet injections (which lasted 6 days)the meds are the only thing that help the pain thus far, I hope there is another solution. I've alredy had 5 injections within the last year and the PM doc said I shouldnt get anymore.

As far as meds, I'm still in the screening process, urine drug checks, pharmacy records, former physician references, pschycologist assesment etc. Therefor I am making the remaining meds I have last. I'm stretching them out and should have enough to last until my PM can get me on the right meds. Hopefullly something long acting. I've gone through some withdraws but maybe my tolerence will go down and I can start at a lower dose. I'm not realy sure how that will work.

Thanks again,
-Derek-

Last edited by shakorox; 05-17-2006 at 07:49 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User

What do you mean by getting screened. Never heard of it. I live in So. Dak. though. boomer

Old 05-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
(male)

shakorox HB User

Hello BBmr,

Well I'm new at the Pain Clinic for med management and they have a screening process that takes about a month before they will actually write you perscriptions. The process involves drug testing (for illegal substances, stuff your not perscribed, and stuff you are perscribed) to my understanding they test you each time you come in after you start recieving perscriptions. This is to make sure you are actually taking the meds and not selling them. They also ran a check on me through the state of Michigan, it was very detailed, it listed every Doc that ever perscribed me a controlled substance and what it was, when it was, and quantitiy. My PM doc shared this with me and he made me tell him who each doc was and why the med was perscribed at that time. He also needed a letter from my regular perscribing doctor requesting him (the new PM doc) to take over my "medication treatment plan." They also take labs like a CBC and CMP to get your baseline levels, so they can tell if the meds are messing with your guts in the furture. Additionaly, I have to meet with a behavioral medicine phychologist monthly, so they can be extra sure I'm not a junkie. And they also will do pill counts every month. And I have to sign a detailed opiod management contract that outlines all this. I'm sure I'm missing something, I'm still new to this my self.

-Derek-

Old 05-19-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

wow,and I thought MY pain clinic was invasive.what state do you live in/is there a higher crime rate there or something?i have never heard of anyone who was going to a pain clinic actually have the clinic look up a detailed report on all docs and the tons of meds I had been having to take all these years.that in itself,seems a bit extreme.but the other stuff you mentioned seems pretty normal for a pain clinic.

a month tho really does seem a bit long to have to just wait for them to just eval you and start you on some initial meds.I hope they get their ducks in a row here soon for ya and they can really help you control your pain issues.please keep us posted on how things go for you.Good luck,marcia

Old 05-19-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

They said they lived in Michigan.

You know, I hate to say this and probably won't be too popular for saying it, but if more doctors did what your doctor was doing I bet it would reduce the amount of drug seekers and make life a bit easier for those who truly need treatment like you. Most states pharmacies do link up to the DEA and simply pulling the historical record of prescriptions to an individual might prove sufficient.

It sounds as though the clinic is very thorough in ensuring that those that they prescribe medication to truly need it. Try to hang on the best that you can until your appointment, hopefully it won't be too much longer for you and you'll get appropriate treatment and relief.

Have the doctors considered surgery as an option for you at all?

Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
(male)

shakorox HB User

I should be on a med plan within two weeks from now. As far a surgery, it has not been discussed in detail. Plus I'm leary about surgery, my mom had botched back surguries and ended up in a hospital bed at home from when I was 9 through 16 years old. Nurses coming to the house everyday. I don't want to end up like that.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Shakorox - Are you sure you didn't have to sign over your first born child as well??? I'm sitting here amazed at the hoops they make you jump through at this pain clinic you are involved with! I'll tell you quite honestly, with my very long history of needing to take narcotic pain medicines (starting at age 14) the prospective pain management doc would have to close his office for half the day just to go over the data that he would find about me! Do you know if the guidelines used at this clinic are unique to this practice, or does Michigan have state laws governing pain management clinics as a whole? Reading your post makes me more thankful that I'm not required to go through some of the things that others have to. I'm sure that there are pm clinics in the state of Maryland, where I live, that have the exact requirements as your clinic...I'm just lucky I didn't find one like that. I'm not saying that these procedures aren't necessary - but this clinic that you're going to sounds like they really push the envelope when it comes to compliance. Take care and I hope you find relief very quickly. KathyMac

Old 05-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
(male)

shakorox HB User

Hey KathyMAc,

I figure they are just covering thier butts. I don't mind jumping through the hoops if it means they take me seriously and take good care of me as a result. I could see how a "drugseeker" would run out of thier office after reading thier policy I don't think those are Michigan requirements, I believe they are just the policies of the practice, maybe they got burned in past or something

-Derek-

Closed Thread