It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

rhonda73 HB User
early prescriptions

Hi, I am a new member to this board. I have been reading the posts normally 3-4 times per week, and have enjoyed reading advice, and all the helpful info.
I have a question to ask you guys: I am leaving to go to Mexico next week and I wanted to ask my doctor for my refill on Percocet 10/325 before I leave. I am not out but last year when I went my jaw locked up from snorkeling and they thought I was going to be air lifted to a hospital. So I wanted to be safe than sorry. By the time I return I will be out of medication. Just wanted to get some opinions, since I am asking early.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User
Re: early prescriptions

Just tell him what you just told us or ask for 10 to hold you over.It shouldn't be a problem.If he won't give it to you then you can get them in Mehico no problem.....Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Rhonda,

It depends on a couple of things. One is the comfort or your doctor. How long have you been with his practice? Is this your first early refill? And how early is the refill.

I've got an early vacation refill before. My doc knows me and I have never called with an early refill or had the cat knock it off the counter, etc. So when I was going on vacation I asked and told him that I would provide proof of my vacation. He said no problem.

The thing is with percocet is that it is a schedule 2 drug. Which means it is more closely watched by the DEA. As long as you have been honest with your doc in the past and haven't requested early fills and explain your situation, it will probably be ok. However it all depends on the doc.

Good luck. Take Care

Old 05-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi,
i was wondering i don't know much about these things but couldn't he just post date the script. good luck

Old 05-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Can't post-date a schedule 2 drug. Used to be able to, but the DEA cracked down on that. Too many docs were writing a patient several scedule 2 scripts at a time to fill on other dates. They viewed it as refills, which you can't have on a 2.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
(female)

rhonda73 HB User

I have been with this dr for about 8 yrs and he is a general doctor. I have been on Percocet 10/325 for about 5 yrs. He prescibes me 60 a month. I got my last refill on 5/3, and I called yesterday for the refill. I told the receptionist that I was leaving the country for 2 weeks and that i was not out now but wanted to be sure I had enough. SO I guess I will wait and see what they say when they call back, no word yet. Thank you guys!

Old 05-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User

FYI- I take Vicodin and was going out on business for a week last month.

My refill date dropped during the time I would be out of town, so my doc. approved an early refill so I wouldn't run out during my trip. When I went over to the pharmacy (that I always go to, but they have several pharmacists) they refused to fill it for me.

Citing the fact that it was a controlled sub. and just flat out refused even though I explained to her my being out of town on business. Now I don't refill early and don't make any waves usually. This really irked me though! I felt like a druggie. The pharmacist had NO idea what pain I would be in w/out the med's.

Long story short I phoned my nurse at the Dr.'s office and my Doc. called right away to instruct the Pharmacist to fill my script.

What an ordeal - I hope I never refill during a trip again! I will not return to that pharmacy either. I felt like pond scum!

Old 05-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Like its been already mentioned,hows relationship with doc. etc. Plus you have to take into consideration,are you paying cash,or covered by insurance? I'm going away myself for 3 weeks on the 27th of June.My refill is due on the 15th of june,instead of getting a 30 day supply,I suggested to my doc. just to give me a 10 day supply,wich would cover me till the 25th of june,then get a 30 day supply on the 25th[26th] wich would cover me comfortably till i get back,with a few days to spare,this way,theres no early refills,everyones happy.If its to late for that,suggest to your doc. that when you pick your early script. up,that you will bring in what you have,just to show that your not running out early.Remember,theres a lot of abuse out there,and it makes the doc. feel better about an early refill.Also,remember to get a note of somekind that states your doc. knows about the refill.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User

Madhatter,

Great idea about getting a note. I never thought of it. I also never thought there would be a problem. Thanks for all the insight!

Old 05-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
(male)

murfisto HB User

as i said on another thread regarding fill-in Rx's, most folks who travel know in advance that they will be out of town and pain folks are justifiably keenly aware of refill dates on their drugs. put that together and simply ask your prescriber for a "60-day supply" which he states on the Rx. If you know your doctor and he/she knows you and, especially if you fill your 'scripts at the same "chain" pharmacy, the druggists usually have absolutely no problem filling 60-day's worth. in fact, if needed, they will fill a "90-day supply. this goes into their computer and the pharmacy knows if you are abusing, at least from their chain of stores.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Like i mentioned in the other post,its not just the doc. and the pharmacy,its your insurance carrier also.Unless your paying cash,wich in my case i don't.

Closed Thread