It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User
advanced degenerative disc disease

Hi,
Just want to know if anyone else is troubled with QUITE advanced degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia? And what can be done with it. I am considering some injections. Already had a facet injection-- that didn't help. I am on 20mlg. methadone three times a day, I am on 10mlg. of oxicontin at bedtime and 300mlg. of neurontin three times a day. And it barely takes the pain edge off. Pain is exhausting and depression is worsr. I know I am fortunate not to be worsr off. babyboomer6 P.S. I am 54 yrs. old

Old 05-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: advanced degenerative disc disease

I am kind of wondering why they have you on two seperate long acting meds(the methadone and the oxycontin?)if your pain is not actually neuropathic in nature(the DDD and fibro would not actually be considered neuropathic in nature,maybe just a small amount with the DDD)the methadone probably would not be quite as effective for you as say somone who is suffering from definitive nerve damage or a pain syndrome like what I have with the central pain syndrome and RSD.

in your particular case,I would think that possibly dropping the meth and upping the actual narcotic oxycontin would really be a much better way of really treating this.

besides the actual neuro pain i have,i also have a c spine thats a total mess and also heavy DDD.whenever I take my dose of oxycontin,i always feel the relief first in my c spine.always.my cousin has fibro too and she finally was able to get her PM to try oxycontin and she said it was really the best move she made as far as treating and actually lowering her overall pain levels.i really do think that just maybe dropping the meth and upping that oxy would make a huge difference in your pain.

Oxy really was the best possible thing for me personally with actually really feeling a big difference from the c spine and the other more structural or mechanacal type of pain that I have.unfortunetly it really doesn't do a whole lot for my more severe neuro pain syndromes but i am treating that with anti siezure meds right now.i am currently taking gabitril but will be trying lyrica soon.we have just been waiting for my RSD knee to settle down after needing to have two seperate surgeries done on it.thats been a big nightmare as RSD and surgery just do not mix well at all and I am having a whole new 'brand' of pain to deal with now.I amhoping the switch to lyrical will help.

I would just sit down with your PM doc and discuss changing things at least for a trial run and see how it goes.he/she should be willing to at least give this a try for .your oxy dose right now is really really low,thats probably one of the biggest reasons your pain is not under better control.normally,for your types of pain generators,you would most likely respond to a higher amount of the oxy for these types of pain.

I wish you lots of luck and hope your PM is willing to at least give this a shot to see how well it would work for you.just making some changes in your meds should help alot.let me know how things go,Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User

Dear Marsha, Thank-you for the your response. I think you have a point here. Do you think I would benifit from a neurosurgeon looking at this situation? I have been thinking of going to the mayo clinic. I have some other issues . I had a vascular bone transplant ten yrs. ago. Bone was taken out of my leg, hip,(back and front)and put in my wrist. This was because of a sugery gone wrong. Before they did this sugery, I went under the knife seven different times to try and fix this wrist.(each time they took bone from my hips.)I have also had some other major surgeries.(gastrenectomy,not to lose weight)My point being, perhaps I have some major nerve pain problems. I think I truley have OSTEO arthriris (and a little RA). I need help bad. I can hardly walk-and I am onky 54. I agree about the meds. Hmmmm-- please know I appreciate all your support. Take care Marsha. boomer

Old 05-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

I have the same thing![along with other problems] I also take neurotin,it helps with the nerve pain.I too don't understand why your doc. would give you two L.A med. Especially O.C at night. I take it 3x a day[o.c] and when i first started the med. it actually gave me a boost,also hard to sleep.I believe your dose needs to be adjusted,but one or the other.

Closed Thread