It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Angry *****TOPAMAX. I thought it would be good, but I'm ready to flush it down the toilet.

UGH!!!!!! I HATE THIS MEDICATION! <<< As you can perhaps see by the capital letters and multiple exclamation marks, I'm irritated... and it's for no other reason than the Topamax. I thought it would be a great pain treatment and even help me lose the 10 pounds I gained from awful-Neurontin, but apparently that's not going to happen. Does it change moods or something? I know that it can be used to TREAT mental conditions, so I'm sure it can cause them, or at least cause some change in mental status. Last night I actually got so angry that I couldn't sleep. Not one wink. I'm going on 39 hours without any sleep right now. Do you have any idea how angry you have to be to not be able to sleep? After threatening to rip my mother's leg off and beat my step father to death with it (they both laughed, but I was in no laughing mood), I quickly realized that this was not a normal reaction. I've never been that angry in my life. I'm even mad RIGHT NOW. At what, you ask? I have NO IDEA.

I can't concentrate either. For example, if I'm doing school work, I forget what I'm doing, or what I'm reading... and that never happens. I'm a straight-A student in advanced placement classes! I'm completely losing it, and it's all from like 1 stupid week of this crap.

I'm on 25 mg/night. I have a call into the doctor that put me on it, but she's extremely sluggish at calling back, so can I just stop it? Or do you have to ween off it like Neurontin?

Thanks.

P.S. Excuse the spelling errors, I don't have the patience to go back and check.

Last edited by Melissa765; 05-18-2006 at 11:16 AM. Reason: I added an ICON to draw more attention to the post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
(female)

lulu222 HB User
Re: TOPAMAX. I thought it would be good, but I'm ready to flush it down the toilet.

Melissa-I tried this about one year ago for migraines and thought it was the worst possible drug ever until I tried prednisone. The only good thing was the weight loss but it wasn't good weight loss. I had to force myself to eat and had no energy to exercise.

I didn't have sleep or anger problems with it. I slept well and the biggest issues were it made me stupid and did nothing for the headaches. A neurologist and a neurosurgeon both told me I needed to keep taking it and up the dosage. My job is not the kind where you can afford to be dim witted and forgetful so I ignored their advice and went off it by going to the lowest dosage for about one week, then stopping.

I don't recalll, is 25mg the lowest dogage? I may have cut the pill in half during that week. I didn't miss it or have any ill effects from stopping it. Sorry I'm not more helpful. Joining in on the hate part though.

Old 05-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User
Re: TOPAMAX. I thought it would be good, but I'm ready to flush it down the toilet.

Hi there--you didn't mention how long you have taken the topamax. I've been on it for a little over a month. I'm at 100mg's. It has helped my headaches, and I think possibly some other pain too. I've heard it can take up to four months for your body to adjust to the med. While I haven't ever heard of anger problems coming from the med, I seem to get confused very easily especially after the first 4-5 hours after I take it in the am. By 2pm I seem to be myself again. 25mgs is the lowest dose and it could be that it's not helping you because you are on such a low dose. It isn't a fun medication, but honestly I would rather be confused right now than have the bad headaches and pain I was having before. I will be honest and tell you I have days that I want to quit taking it too. I just want to be myself again (just without the pain) I have a neck injury with nerve damage. If you do continue to take the topamax and go up with your mg's--don't just stop taking it--it could cause problems, like seizures, you have to slowly go off of it. Always talk to your dr. first. There is a thread further down the page called "Calling all topamax users" Or something like that. You"ll find a lot of interesting info about topamax there. That's where I found out all my info. I still check every morning to see if anyone has written and if I have a new problem or story I write too. Topamax causes you to do a lot of strange things, some of them pretty funny, some not so funny. hang in there and keep in touch. Angela

Old 05-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Also--sleeping came easier for me once I hit 75 mg's and weight loss at 100 mg's. I have lost ten pounds in the last two weeks. I just don't think much is going to happen for you at 25 mg's. My dr. had me go up 25 mgs every five days. If I had my way I would have done it every 7 days. Keep in mind, it was not easy!!! I would keep calling your dr and not give up until she calls you back. How rude. Another thing that topamax has done to me is that I can't spell anymore--most people say that they can't do math in their head anymore--I could never do that to begin with!!! If you stay on it, keep in touch, we are a great support group!

Old 05-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

such a low dose and such bad side effects, I trust you've seen your doctor by now and he's got you of this drug. What did he say though?

Of course there's no "one size fits all," this drug helps me alot and I'm taking 400mg a day for my cronic nerve pain!

Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Any med that is causing you so many different side effects,well getting off of it would really be in your best interest.it does appear to me,that your body just does not like this med at all and it really needs to be stopped.I would most definitely call your doc about this.all this crap after just one week,wow.I would think that the taper would not be too difficult since this has only been in your system for a short period of time.

the thing is,with any given med,there really is just no way to tell what someones actual individual response will be.after just looking up the topamax and reading just some of the side effects,one of them that is possible but seen mostly in children who are taking it is increased anger or aggressive behavior.

i just wanted to tell you that when my son(age 16 at the time) was placed on prozac for depression and also ptsd from the horrible things he was forced to have to endure while going thru liver failure and transplant,he,within just the first month on it,one day just told me'mom,i just don't feel right'.well what followed thru the next year was absolute hell.he turned from this really nice,easy going very caring child who just loved to make people laugh,into this nasty mean uncaring very angry child who I just did not know anymore.this year was a non stop nightmare of anger explosions from hell wich usually would end with a scene out of a COPS episode playing out either at home or where ever he had happened to be at the time.I was actually afraid of my own child.he actually finally ended up being dxed with whats called bi polar III? this is not an actual "true' bi polar condition but because of the manic episodes that come along with it,it was given that name.this condition was totally and completely developed from the use of the SSRIs we tried,totally and completely.we were very very lucky in that when I had him transferred to a good mental health facility that I had been trying to get him into for like months(he had to be in a major crisis at the time and they also had to actually have the bedspace availiable)this doc was totally familiar with what bi polar III was.most docs have never even heard of it.but there was no history on either side of our family of any big mental health type of disorder anywhere just some depression.the bizarre thing was after any raise in his actual dosage or a change to another SSRI,almost like clockwork,exactly two weeks afterthese changes happened,bam,another manic over the top anger explosion would occur.once we got him Dxed and off the SSRIs and onto a mood stabilizer,wow i was slowly seeing my 'real' son come back.it was truely like night and day.

sorry to go so in depth here but the point of this is just that some people will really have some major major side effects from any med that actually has any real effect on the brain and the chemical reactions that take place.the fact that you are having the aggression really actually kind of scares me.from what my son went thru,one of the big things that came up first as far as side effects was a big increse in his anger.really bad.he actually beat up a kid at school one day just because this kid had done somethingto one of his friends way back when.I was getting phone calls from the dang school about three times a week.this was normally a really nice mellow kid.the changes were so bad that we had to actually have him taken out of his normal high school and placed in a more controlled school that also specialized in children with mental health disorders.all this just from a med.just a med.unbelievable really.I thank god everyday for that doc at that mental health facility who actually had him Dxed by the next day.they still put him thru all of the ongoing really in depth testing just to confirm it and even did an MRI on his brain just to rule out other possibilities.it all just kept comming back to the SSRIs.

You just have to be very very careful when taking any med that has the ability to really affect the brain chemicals.I watch him like a hawk now for any possible changes in his mentation or 'new" behavior,anytime he starts any new med no matter what it is.

you just never know how any med will respond to your individual physiology or body chemistry til you actually take it.but honestly,whenever I hear ANYONE state that they have started to feel angry while starting a new med like you are,well,it just gives me the willies ya know/you just really need to be very watchful and you also need to tell your family to kind of monitor your behavioir for any out of the norm types of behaviors.the further my son got into the months of being on this crap,the more 'normal' he said he actually felt!!and he was soooo out of the normal reality that he didn't really "see" what we were seeing.very scarey stuff there let me tell ya.it wasn't til he just decided one day that he wasn't going to actually take his transplant meds anymore just because he didn't 'want to",that culminated in the very last anger explosion that we were able to get him the help he really desperately needed.

please call your doc and get yourself off this med and onto something else.you DO sound soo miserable right now.you don't have to continue on something that is causing you so many nasty symptoms.really.just always let your entire family when you are starting any new med so they can help to really evaluate your whole behavior patterns.sometimes the patient does not evenr ealize whats up but the family is scratching there heads trying to figure out why you have suddenly become very different than your normal self.

I hope you can get off this crap really soon.like i said,after only one week,the taper shouldn't be real involved,or long at all.good luck to you,please keep us posted on how you are doing.i hope you can find something that really works for you and that does not cause you all of the nasty side effects as with this med.sorry for such a long winded post.there are just so many really nasty meds out there that can affect you in some really incredible ways.ya gotta watch out for yourself.Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 05-20-2006 at 06:13 AM. Reason: i cannot spell anymore, sorry

Old 05-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
(female)

Melissa765 HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone! I ended up stopping it that night... the doctor said that she had never heard of that reaction to that medication before. Anyone with a computer who types in "Topamax side effects" would know that that IS a side effect.

This is my first day off of it, and I already feel somewhat better. I can't even believe that I could tolerate feeling like that for those 4 days. I ended up not sleeping for 4 nights. Last night I slept like 2 or 3 hours, which is better, but still not great.

This was scary though:

My little cousin came over to my house last night. She's 17 months old, absolutely adorable, and so well-behaved... and she's more like a niece to me because of the 15 year age difference. I babysit her all the time, and see her at least 5 times a week. HOWEVER, last night when she came over, she was itching her nose (allergies), and I got SO ****** because she was touching things afterwards... and WHAT IF she had any snot on her hands or anything, after I had just cleaned the house. I was so angry that I had to walk out of the room to avoid punching through a wall. Normally I'd be maybe a little irritated, but I'd say "Oh I'll clean it later."

Also, after she left, I cleaned the entire house from top to bottom until about 3 in the morning. That's not normal for me... It's like giving me an OCD quality!

Like during the day, I'd envision stabbing people, breaking things, slitting people's throat's etc. Of course I'd never actually do it, but the fact that I wanted to was alarming.

I'm just glad it's over. I decided not to take any pain medication, and just deal with it like I have for the past 2 years.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User

Hi Melissa,

I take topamax (for about 4 months now) and as a result have done a lot of research on the internet and have read of two other people having experiences similar to yours, although from what I read you have experienced the rarer of the side effects. What I found from my own experience was that my GP who prescribed this to me for migraines was not aware of the potentially negative side effects, he told me it was very well tolerated and if anything might make me lose weight but for me it made me pretty stupid, lose my words and concentration. He was also not aware of it's off label use for nerve pain when I mentioned it seemed to be helping my back and foot pain. My Pain Management doctor however (who I started seeing after I was placed on topamax by my GP for migraines) was fully aware of the various topamax side effects and it's use for nerve pain.

Anyway, I saw my GP just this week and he said he talked to the pharm rep about topamax and the side effects I complained of and that I had to go down from 100mg daily to 50mg because that was about all I could tolerate and as a result I have a little improvement in headaches and a fair amount of improvement in back pain. My GP said it was then that the pharm rep listed the fuller list of side effects and stated that some people are more sensitive - however from my reading I think the cognitive disruption side effect is very common however I do think people adjust more of less. It seems to me what is happending is that a new drug comes out (topamax) or maybe I should say a drug gets FDA approval for treatment of an illness such as topamax for migraines (which happened fairly recently) and there was some really good research data supporting its effectiveness so the pharm reps go out and sell to the doctors and then the doctors start prescribing and maybe for many patients they have no problems but then a few patients start having problems and then some have rare ones like you or me with being overly sensitive. What is very unfortunate is that your doctor (nor mine) did not give us the information about the common or the rare side effects (what they were) before you started.

Good luck to you and sorry to here you had such an awful experience with the topamax.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I am soo relieved that you are going off of this med Melissa.this is exactly how my son was actually reacting to the SSRIs.very very scarey stuff there.hopefully once you get completely off this and its out of your system,things will get back to normal.you are going to just have to be very very careful in th future about taking ANY med like this and others that have a direct impact on the brain chemicals.it does apper to me that you have a very high sensitivity to the changes in the brain that take place with meds like these.

I just wanted to also mention to you that you may be much more sensitive to other meds now that this has actually happened.my son used to be on trazadone before this year long nightmare took place with no problems,but when we put him back on it a few months later,he started actually reacting in almost that same freaky way he did with those godawful SSRIs i couldn't belive it was happening again.the second I started seeing these creepy signs agin,I called his doc and he was immediately taken off.luckily this did not actually require any sort of taper.hopefully since you were only on this stuff for a very short period of time,you wont have this problem again.but like I stated in the other long winded post,just make sure the people around you are monitoring your overall behavior if you should need some sort of new med.good luck Melissa.Marcia

Old 05-22-2006, 04:12 AM   #10
(female)

goawaypain HB User

Hi, I haven't posted here in a long time but caught your question and thought I would respond. I too have tried topamax and had like the worst PMS everyday from it. I actually had gotten up to 100mg and figured something was not right so I experimented by going off of it several times and everytime I would start up the med again I would just be so irratated.
Also I have tried Neurontin and it did the same thing to me. I have been in pain management for 4 years and my doc had never heard of this before. But if you read the side effects this can happen but is very rare. It was a shame because the topamax did wonders for my pain.
I even had the same reaction to Zovirax that I take if my cold sores on my lips get real bad and after like 3 days on the med, boy watch out especially if you are a cashier or something because I can get so ****** off at people that it really scares me.
Now I understand that a drug that can change you brain chemistry will do this but an antiviral? yep, checked the side effects and it can happen with that one too.
I don't understand why all three of them would react to me like that but I just now stay away from them and any new medication I take now I always check to see if my mood is changing for the worse.
I now take Zanaflex for headaches and pain and it has done wonders for me but if I miss a dose I get like withdrawl symptoms and this med should not do that. I guess I am just sensitive to some things.
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and just be careful.
take care,
Jenny

Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Glad you went off of it!! After I have my injection I am going to try to also. I get tired of being confused. I just went to check the date and went into the bathroom to look at the calender. Well--the calender is in the kitchen, not the bathroom. Stupid stuff like that. I forget what I'm doing half the time. A month ago I was a very organized person, now I throw my bills down and leave them there instead of filling them because I get too confused. I also get incredibly short of breath. Can't seem to walk 20 feet anymore. So I think you did the right thing. I hope you find something to help with your pain.

Closed Thread