It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

ChristineMarie HB User
Angry im really ******

hey everyone. i just found out something that really made me loose more trust in people. i have been on pain meds since about november of 2005. back then, my orthopedist was perscribing them to me. this was also before i got an accurate diagnosis. (no one could figure out what was wrong). So anyway, i have this friend. while deep down she is a good and caring person, she lies A LOT and is manipulative. (Not with me, or at least i thought). So we were at a friends house one night(back in december) and i happened to get up and use the bathroom, leaving my bag unattended(something i usually NEVER do). i came back in the room, she was the only one in the room at the time. THought nothing of it.
Well, about a month ago my sister(she is my twin and is also friends with this girl) tells me that my friend straight up stole some of my meds!! now i didnt notice because i didnt run out of my script early thank God. Well, when my sis told me this i completely floored, but hesitant to belive her(this is because my sis has stolen from me in the past). She then went on to tell me that that same night she stole from me also(she said she took one and my friend took 5). So after she came clean i did belive her.
I was so upset and disgusted i didnt know what to do. the was supposedly one of my best friends, now i hate confrontation but i decided to say something to her. To my surprise, she admitted it!!! now mind you, this is going back months b4 anyone knew what was wrong. She said that since there was no eveidence of a problem, her and my sis thought i was lying!!!! she apologized and says after i got my test done(EMG) and it showed significant never damage(I have RSD), that she beleived me and felt terrible about her accusations!! good im glad you feel bad stupid b****!!
anyway im sorry for ranting but i was just so upset. i mean i have had a hard enough time with doctors thinking i was drug seeking ( i am only 19), now my friend thought so too?!?!?
anyway thanx everyone for listening, if you guys have any input or have been in a similar situation, id love to hear it!
hope you all are having a nice day!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User
Re: im really ******

Hey CM,

Thats too bad that your own sister, twin at that, would steal from you. And your friend also. I'd be mad as well....

Opiate meds are abused by some people. Of course other meds are abused as well, but opiates are probably one of the top. Vicodin (Hydrocodone) is the most abused. The funny thing is, 99% of the abuse is NOT from chronic pain patients. Its other people that abuse these meds for reasons beyond pain.

Some people are suprised that a family member would steal for opiates. But I tell people this; Do you think a family member would steal if they were addicted to heroin? Probably so. Heroin is also an opiate. A very strong one, but the point is, its in the same family.

Unfortunantely for us that are chronic pain patients, we are usually required to sign contracts at our PM clincs and adhere to strict guidelines. My PM says on his first visit with you, "Don't lose your meds, don't get them stolen, and don't ask for an early refill." I'm not saying its your fault, but my point is, people like your sister and "friend" don't really know the effect they cause us in the long run.

If we call the doc and say we had our meds stolen, they've heard that hundreds of times. So it really puts us in between a rock and hard place. If my meds were stolen, I'd probably just go through WD's and be in pain for the month because I wouldn't call my doc.

I have a safe that I lock all my meds in. I only carry a small amount with me. The pharmacist makes up an extra bottle with a label for me, and I put enough for the day in there. I keep the rest of my meds in my safe. Before I had a safe, like Jon said, I hid my meds in my home and sometimes forgot where I hid them..

Anyway, sorry to hear about that. I would invest in a safe and be sure to never let your meds out of your sight. I came to the conclusion a long time ago about opiates, "Can't trust anyone." Thats sad, but unfortunantely true in many cases.

Take Care

Old 05-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
(female)

ChristineMarie HB User

hey guys thank you for your replies. you guys got the right idea about gettin a safe for your meds. it really is sad that you cant even trust your own family. after this happened i too hide my pills in crazy spots around the house that sumtimes i even 4 get!! lol. anyway thank you guys again for the responses and have a great week !!!

Old 05-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I agree get a safe. I have a adult son, well 19, and some of his friends are less than desireable so I bought a safe many many years ago to prevent your exact problem. I only take out what I need each night for the next day and put it in a small pill box I carry with me. If I go somewhere I take that box with me. I've had 1 pill come up missing 1 time which I think is a pretty good track record for about 10 years.

If you do buy a safe buy the appropriate kind, don't get one that has a dial on it only or key only. Get one that has a dial and requires a special key or has a digital pad and a special key. Don't use lock boxes, they are easily broken into. A decent small safe will run about $150 at the most at Walmart or one of the Office stores. I think I paid just under $100 for my newest one which is small but heavy and fireproof. (we wanted a smaller one for the bedroom as the first one is just too big and is in the office with our medical and important papers in it now)

Do not leave the combination to the lock anywhere that anyone can find it! Do not put the keys if you have them anywhere that are easily accessed (ie just laying around). Put extra keys in the safe (they usually give you 3) and give one to a person you trust like your mum or hide it in a safe place or tape it under something that no one is likely to look under.
It seems like a lot but it is well worth it in the long run!

Closed Thread