HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Advice on traveling with meds! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/393847-advice-traveling-meds.html)

Flutterby77 05-22-2006 10:40 AM

Advice on traveling with meds!

I am going on a short airplane ride, but it is a big airport, I am deathly afraid of loosing my medications, and I also don't want any problems with security, since I will be with my family. What are some suggestions about taking them, should I get notes from my Dr, or Pharmasist???

Any Help would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks

slipperyslope 05-22-2006 10:51 AM

Re: Advice on traveling with meds!

I just traveled across the country with percocet and oxycontin in my purse the security people dumped out my purse and did not even look at the meds they were right in front of them. they are looking for guns, lighters and knives NOT your medications. don't even worry about it. but keep them on you in your carry on bags so you don't risk them being stolen or lost.

Sage48 05-22-2006 01:37 PM

I travel a lot also. I always keep my meds in my purse...the securtiy has never questioned them. They are prescription drugs...labeled with all of the info. If there is a problem, they can call the pharmacy or Dr's office.
Don't worry about your meds, but do keep your purse or whatever you are carrying them in close to you...you don't want them stolen!!!
When I get to my hotel room, I take what I need for the day and put those in a small container for my purse. The rest of the meds are locked in the room safe (if there is one) or locked inside of my suitcase. Better to be safe than sorry!!!
Enjoy your trip.

Sage

ARANGER 05-22-2006 02:39 PM

As long as your are not flying internationally you shouldn't have a problem. People travel with meds all the time. Not just pain meds but blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. Like everyone else suggested, keep the meds with you in a carry on. Don't put them in your check on bags. Just make sure your meds are always in your sight.

Take Care

RobinD21283 05-23-2006 05:23 AM

I just got back from France with no problems with the Kadia or Lyrica or the 10 other meds I'm on.

The only problem I had was on the way back with my Immitrex injections. I pulled them out of my bag so they wouldn't just show up on the xray, and they don't have them in France so they had to go show the boss and they tested it in the machine, but I eventually got it back. Half of my problem may have been a slight language barrier. At the end of the day though, as long as everything is in the original RX bottle, you will be fine.

Kissa 05-23-2006 05:32 AM

Be sure to take only enough medication with you and a few to spare just in case you get a lay over someplace, that way if by chance it gets lost you aren't out an entire month of meds.

Ask your pharmacist for a second bottle with the exact same prescribing information on it and explain you want this as you are travelling and do not want to carry your entire supply with you, generally they will do that for free.

CaribouMom 06-01-2006 11:49 AM

When I travel, I use one of the medication containers, the daily or weekly kits. Mine has a lock on it too. I use the sticker that comes with my prescription and stick that to the back of the box. Mine is a weekly box that has spots for 5 medication times each day so I just put my doses in according to the time I'm supposed to take them and they have the actual prescript sticker that comes with the info when you get your scripts on the back.