It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
different manufacturers of oxycodone

Hi all,

I hope that you all can help me figure something out. Last month I went to my Pain Management doctor. He changed my medications from hydrocodone 10/500 to oxycodone 10/325 (mallinckrodt was the manufacturer) which I could take every 4 to 6 hrs. This month the PM doctor wrote the prescription for oxycodone 10/650 (watson is the manufacturer). The label says I can take it every 6 to 8 hours.

Ok, first of all, I am concerned about the increase in tylenol in the oxycodone.
With the 10/325 , depending upon the pain levels I would take my medications at 4 hours. Some times the medication did not seem any stronger than the hydrocodone..for the relief of my back pain.

I will do as the prescription says, but, it may be hard, because if the pain builds up too much, it will take a longer period of time to calm it down.

My second question is something I read here (I believe) about the Mallinckrodt generic brand is not as strong as some of the other generics. My old prescription was Mallinckrodt....could that be why it didn't seem as strong, as for pain relief? My new prescription is made by Watson. I have had their medications before, and they seemed ok, it wasn't for the oxycodone... So now am I going to feel a lot more sedation when I take my new med? (I am not sedated at all from the Mallinckrodt med.)

I guess this sounds confusing, but I am concerned.

I wish you all a pain free day.....and hope if, not, that the day is not too bad!
Thanks for all of your help.

Sage

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User
Re: different manufacturers of oxycodone

Hey Sage,

As far as the Tylenol goes, you don't want to exceed 4000 mg of tylenol daily. If you are taking it on a regular basis, then its should be no more than 2000-3000 mg max daily.

You could ask your doc to reduce your Tylenol to the 325 or maybe go with an Oxy IR that is Oxycodone only. You can always buy a bottle of Tylenol if you need and take one with it if you are needing it for pain.

As far as pharmaceutical compaines, you're right about Mallinkrodt and Watson. Mallinkrodt seems to get more complaints than most other generics. Generics are allowed to be over or under the active drug by a certain percentage. Mallinkrodt seems to be under most of the time. Watson usually puts out quality generics. Most people report good experiences with Watson. Watson is also the brand maker of Norco (Hydrocodone 5, 7.5, 10/325). They are also the selected marketer of generic OxyContin for Purdue Pharma (Makers of OxyContin). Purdue selected Watson to market there own generic.

The problem with Mallinkrodt is that they are a large pharmaceutical company. Many pharmacies carry there meds. They also sell in bulk to many of the other pharmaceutical compainies.

If you can get Watson stick with them. Or Endo Pharmaceuticals. They are the makers of Percocet. They have there own generic called Endocet. People have reprted problems with Endo's generic OxyContin, but as far as percocet/endocet, I haven't heard of anything. I get the Endocet each month and have never had a problem.

Take Care

Old 05-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Re: different manufacturers of oxycodone

Thanks ARANGER,

I appreciate the help. I am worried about the tylenol...have been on meds for several years now, but seem to be getting stronger stuff from my PM lately, I had a bad flare up of back pain around Easter...and was changed from hydrocodone to oxycodone.
I'll see tomorrow when I take the new meds. from Watson, if there is any difference in the strength. Kind of scary, that companies are allowed to do this....vary the strength in generic meds.

Again, thank you for your reply...

Sage

Closed Thread