It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 02:58 AM   #1
(female)

milimoki HB User
kidney stones(chronic)

Hey everyone, I had a quick question.. I suffer from chronic kidney stones, I get about 4-7 every month. All my doctor wants me to do is get cat scans(which I worry about from the cancer you may get, i have had over 60 scans) He is so worried about giving pain meds, that he basicly refuses even when he sees I have a 5-6 ml. stone, anything over 6 is not passable btw. I get no more than 10 a month. People keep telling me to go to a pain Dr. I was wondering if any of you ll suffer from stones, and do Pm doctors even treat this. It is extremely painful to have a stone, and to have 4-7 every month is starting to make me feel I have nothing to live for. I have no life due to these stones and the doctors say I have to live with them and there is nothing they can do, my body just produces piles of them. Any way any advice or answers would be great...Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User
Re: kidney stones(chronic)

I wouls start refusing the ct's unless it's life threating.Your right thats way to much radiation for the normal atient to take.You need to see a urologist right away...Dave

Also you should see a dietechcian as it may be diet related....Dave..Sorry, terrible spelling today

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

k_stone queen has been treated with pain meds for her chronic, painful kidney stones (and I'm sure other things).

I'm sure you could find some compassionate doctor to help you with this chronic condition.

No one should have to suffer!

Old 05-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Mili..yes, I suffer from chronic kidney stones, hence my screen name. I've had over 300+ stones. My stones started at age 9 and I'm now 35. I've recently had my really bad kidney totally removed a little over a month ago. It was sooooo damaged by all the surgeries. I need to go for now, but I will post later. I just wanted to answer your post. And yes, I go to a pain management doc. It took several years and 4 docs to find one willing to treat me. I'm a very rare case. I have 8-10 stones at a time. You can read my "story" on the kidney disorder board. It's titled "newbie here---but extremely familiar with kidney stones". I promise I will post later, ok?? Bye for now.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
(female)

milimoki HB User

Wow I just readyour story and went through the whole link. Out of all the doctor's I have gone to , not one has offered to give me tests like the one's mentioned. I wrote them all down. I have an appoitment next week with a pm Dr. Hes out of town, but I dont know what to expect. What kind of med's do you think they will put me on? For a person who gets 3-7 stones a month? I dont even always go to the Dr or ER when I get stones, sometimes I just do it on my own. I dont know what it is with my town(Ocala, Florida) but all the doctors are afraid to right scripts for pain med's. They will give me 30 pill's..well sometimes it takes 2-6 weeks for me to pass my stones. I just dont get it, you have a cat scan with a 5 ml stone on it and the ER gives you 10 pills and the Urologist gives you 30. He says you have to have a repeat cat scan to get more. So I i have to get 4 scans a month? That seems like alot to me and I am afraid i will get cancer. I Am tired of the cat scans. I just want the meds to be comfortable and I want more answers than well you have a calcium stone.I have never been offered tests. we have 4 urologists in town and I have been to all 4 and got the same treatment. What will I expect from the PM Dr.?? Thanks for all the huge amount of info btw. Your situation is awful, I dont know if I could handle it.. Anyway will wait for your reply..

Last edited by milimoki; 05-24-2006 at 03:31 PM. Reason: I left out something

Old 05-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
(male)

winston_smith HB User

I went through the same kind of stuff if finally getting to the root cause of the problems and adequately treating the symptoms. It took four years to finally get the dx nailed down to something called medullary sponge kidney. In a nutshell it causes the afflicted to form stones on the order of what you are describing as well as having way too much calcium in the blood and urine. I finally had to quit seeing the urologist and start seeing a nyphrologist. Stick to it and you will find the right doc.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
(female)

milimoki HB User

But did you have a problem with your doctors perscribing pain meds/?? I am suffering and in pain because doctors here wont perscribe pain meds. Did you ever see a pm doctor? I called all the kidney doctors in the phone book today and they all said go to a urologist.. so I give up

Closed Thread