It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
(male)

Mister WU HB User
amytriptilyne

I just got prescribed amytriptilyne (10mg; moving up to 20 after a week). Does anyone have an experience with this drug that they could share?

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User
Re: amytriptilyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister WU
I just got prescribed amytriptilyne (10mg; moving up to 20 after a week). Does anyone have an experience with this drug that they could share?

Thanks!
I lurk on this board just to see if anyone has migraines and what they take that being said did you mean Amitriptyline? If so that is a generic for Elavil which is an antidepressent but it does help with pain also. I have taken that for 12 years for RSD and my dose is 10mg a day. Caution that should be taken at night it will (might) make you sleepy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Mister,

Amitriptyline (Elavil) is a tricyclic anti-depressant. It is prescribed for the obvious (Depression) but also for nerve pain and sleep disorders.

Amitriptyline is a pretty old drug and has been around for some time. Your dose is rather small, however, if you've never taken it then it will probably work ok for you at first.

Amitriptyline has some pretty decent sedation qualities. Many people take this drug for sleeping. The problem is, many people report feeling drowsy the next day. It has a longer half-life than other sedative meds. Like Ambien which is in a different drug class all together, but it has a shorter half-life so the next day is usually ok for most people.

The only other thing that I can think about that is negative about this drug is weight gain. Many people report gaining weight while taking Amitriptyline.

You didn't mention what the med was prescribed for. Normal dosages are usually 25-50 mg for anti-d and sleep. I know some people that take 150 mg as well. The longer you take it, the more tolerance you will build to it.

Hope this answered some of your questions.
Take Care

Old 05-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
(female)

agurl79 HB User

Another use for "elavil" that I can add is for intestinal spasms, that's why the doc gave it to me. It's supposed to relax the smooth muslce of your intestine. It works fairly well for me, and does help me to sleep better, so that's a plus!!

Old 05-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
(male)

Mister WU HB User

"Amitriptyline." Ooops, sorry I guess I can't spell. Thank you all for your responses, they are quite informative! I've been prescribed amitriptyline because I have a contsant ache/tightness in my rectum (a literal pain in the butt) which is accompanied by achey legs and muscle spasms throughout my body. I've tried hard to find out what's causing it (cat-scans of my lower spine and prostate; urethrograms; colonosocopy) but basically the presciption is an acknowledgement from my doctor that we're probably never going to figure out what the problems is and we'll just treat it. While its frustrating to not know what's wrong, I guess if the medicine can alleviate some of the pain/tightness that would be a lot better than nothing (I've been suffering from this for three years now). And it the only side effects are drowsiness and maybe weight loss, I can live with that. How pronounced is the drowsiness usually?

Old 05-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I am only 10 mgs but even after so many years on it I still get tired. I take it about8 or9 pm and go to bed at 12. Someone also said weight gain might be a side affect I had read that when I started taking it and almost stopped but no weight gain here.Good Luck

Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

Your on a very low dose so I can't see you getting any severe side effects.My mom who was only 5' tall was on 75mgs in the am and 75 in the pm for migrane headaches.She died 13 years ago from a combination of respitory

Old 05-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Since you're just starting out on elavil, I would wait and take it at night before bed. You are on a low dose, however, all people respond differently to drugs. Elavil, I know at higher doses can make a person pretty drowsy. It is hard to say at 10 or 20 mg, but who knows. To be on the safe side you should wait until bedtime.

I've never really heard of anyone losing weight on Elavil; it is usually weight gain that is the problem.

Hope it works out for you.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

Amytriptyline is helpfull for nerve pain.it does cause drowsiness but i found this lessened after a year.

it doesnt cause weight gain but it may increase your craving for sweets which may cause weight gain.

it does cause dry mouth which is why i stopped taking it after 2 years.
after a while you tend not to notice the dry mouth but it is still there and does cause gum/tooth decay.

i recently switched to Norytryptyline which is also a TCA anti-d.
i find it to help but not as well although my teeth are not as sensitive as with the Elavil.
Elavil is the most common prescribed TCA yet it also has the most side effects,mainly drowsiness and dry mouth.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
(female)

Avalon HB UserAvalon HB UserAvalon HB UserAvalon HB User

I was prescribed 10 mg for back pain. I am female, thin build, and somewhat prone to sensitivity to any drugs that cause sleepiness. I took it for a week and had to stop. I was incredibly tired and felt like I was in a fog. I started taking it earlier in the evening (about 9) but still was a zombie most of the next day. By the time it wore off, it was time for the next dose. Perhaps I would have built up a tolerance, but I couldn't work or do much else in that condition. I hope you have better results!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi all

I usually post on the thyroid board and have been taking Elavil(amitriptyline) for a couple of months. I, too, am very sensitive to meds as I have Fibromyalgia and am having my thyroid checked as well as having low cortisol and having that checked again as well. I'm taking 50 mg. and I'm finding that I'm tired all day and grouchy but I can't tell if it's just from the fibro or the cortisol problem. This really stinks because I always felt that it's a good day if I can get my dishes and laundry done but lately I don't even feel good enough to want to do those. I know what clinical depression is and it doesn't feel like that. I would like my doctor to decrease my dosage to 25 mg. but was wondering if anyone takes a lower dose (like 10mg.)for fibro and has been successful with it? Thanks so much!!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:27 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I take 50 to 60mg two hours before bed every night, it really helps me sleep. I've been on it for one year now and at 1st the dry mouth and next morning sleepiness were problems, but they both passed after about 3 months. I find it helps me sleep through my nerve pain and it's not addictive (physically,) as I've come of it on at least one occasion with no problems and had my sleep pattern back within a week!

Old 06-15-2006, 06:08 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

I was started at a 10mg dose for nerve pain and on my second day had severe dizzy spells. Can't seem to take antidepressants. I also had an allergic reaction to wellbutrin. Dr hasn't tried to give me anything else since. Really wish we could find something to work in conjunction to the topamax for the nerve pain!

Old 06-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
(female)

JackieH HB User

Hi Bluestream,
You take Topamax? I do too. I'm going to my doctor this afternoon to talk about raising the dose today is a matter of fact. Just came online to check my email but my server is down for my whole province & they don't know how long so I'm glad I can still talk to folks on the health boards!

Is your Topamax helping your pain today?
I tried Elavil, too but it made me gain 5lbs in 2 weeks & I was too sleepy. Had to go off.

Bye for now.
Jackie

Old 06-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
(male)

cornburner HB User

I fell 3 years ago at work, now that we are coming time for some kind of settlement, Comp doctor wants me to quit all the drugs except neurontin and this drug. I've taken it before with no effect, so I am at a loss why that is what they want except that maybe these are cheaper that the 4 other drugs including the narcotic duragesic Fentynal patch. I guess I would ask them why this is the drug they want you to take.

Closed Thread