It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User
Question Aranger, anyone, I have a question.

I admit that you made me feel better about the esi I'm getting on May 5th, but my anxiety level is rising very quickly allready. I used to suffer from some very severe anxiety attacks. I do have xanax to take if necessary, but rarely if ever take any. (a bottle of 15 lasts me over a year and I cut them in half) I am allready on topamax and can't imagine feeling anymore sleepy or out of it. Do you think if I call my pm and let him know I am feeling this way he would give me something other than the xanax to take, or should I just try not to have a heart attack And totally unrelated, I tried to go off of the topamax by going down 25 mg's and felt that nerve related headache the first day. crap. So I really do hope the injection works. Thanks for all your help, I'm trying not to be a pain, I'm just scared to death. Our other friend, if I remember correctly, is scheduled for hers today. Hope it goes well for her and she gives us an update. Could be why my anxiety level is higher today. Thanks, again. Angela

Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User
Re: Aranger, anyone, I have a question.

Hey Angela,

You are talking about June 5th correct?? I understand your anxiety. My first injection, I was pretty freaked out as well. But after I had it done, I was like, "that wasn't that bad." Although my doc is good about sedation.

As far as anxiety meds, Xanax will work. However, xanax is a short acting benzo and can cause some sedation. I would call your doc and let him know of your concerns and that your anxiety is getting higher as the days get closer. Generally, they will use something like Valium or Ativan. These seem to be a little less sedating, however all the benzo's have the sedation effect.

Also, make sure you speak with your doc about sedation when you go in for your procedure. Most PM's have no problem with this. They will usually start and IV and give you a mix if Midazolam (Versed) and Fentanyl. The goal of the Midazolam is amnesia and relaxation. It is suppose to make you forget anything about the procedure. However, after you've had it a couple times, that effect wears off and it just relaxes you. But with the IV meds, they take effect nearly immediately, and they can easily give more if needed.

Either way, touch bases with the doc and let him know how you are feeling now and also check into the sedation for the day of the procedure.

I'm sure you'll do just fine. Keep us posted on how everything goes for you.

Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

Advice seeker HB User

I had Versed when I had my cervical ESIs and they could have cut off my head and I wouldn't have cared! It really worked and didn't cause any long term sedation.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

They are planning on sedating me the day of the esi (june 5th)oops. My pm said they will sedate me to the fullest!! I did have a Valium when I had my second mri and I liked it much better than the xanax. I did not know that I was claustrophobic--that's why I had it. I wasn't so tired the next day like I would be on the xanax. Between you (Aranger) and Advice seeker, I really feel like I will get thru this, I'm just so scared. I am am sure for nothing. Has anyone had this injection help with your headaches? While the topamax has helped me, I just want off of it. I can't function and it takes my breath away so easily. I did say I would do anything to get rid of the headaches--but now I really feel the rest of my pain. ouch. Thank you for being here for me. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Thats really good that your PM is willing to sedate you to the "fullest." It actually makes it easier for the doc if you are sedated and not moving around. If you don't feel that you are sedated enough, let your doc know. Since it is usually an IV, they can adjust it so that you are barely awake and really just don't care.

I'm also very claustrophobic. I cannot do an MRI. They have tried IV Ativan and told me it should have knocked out a horse with the amount they gave me. As soon as they pushed me into the MRI machine, I couldn't take it. At the time I was hospitalized due to surgery just a few days prior. The next day the wheeled me back to the MRI machine. I kept telling them that there was no way I would make it through it. When I got to the MRI machine, there was a guy in a tie with a machine that looked very familar. It was anesthesia. He pushed some Diprivan into my IV and I woke up an hour later and was all done. The best MRI I've ever had

It sounds like your doc is going to take good care of you. Make sure to let us know how it goes for you. I know you'll do just fine

Old 05-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Thanks Aranger, I will keep you posted. What a way to find out you're claustrophobic. When the guy came over the speaker I tried telling him I can't breath, I'm having an anxiety attack, he just said well we are almost done. He lied. It was horrible. Years before I had a cat scan and I did fine with that. It is more open tho. I should have known. I can't stand tight spots, or to be held down, I panic and can't breath. It will be over before I know it. I read your other thread and commented and I too find these boards the only place where I can talk to anybody. My husbands attitude is more or less, don't be such a baby. My first divorce had a lot to do with the way he treated me when things went wrong physically and now that I'm down again and being treated the same way, I keep thinking, what have I ever done to deserve being treated like this. You hear of other people getting treated so good and I get a little jealous. I treat my husband good when he's down. Even when I hurt really bad, I put dinner on the table and keep the house clean. Of course when we met 7 years ago I was in really good shape and I have always been a very physical person. The pm dr said my mri looked like that of a 70 yr old male that has worked hard physically all his life. He said I over did it with the hard work. I thought I was doing my body a favor. My husband owns a ranch, so I think he may have been looking for a working partner and now that is ruined. I think he does love me, but is very dissapointed. He may be quietly pushing me away. I will tell you tho, and I haven't ever told anyone--when I am in extreme pain and can't get any support, not even a bowl of soup or a cold wash cloth, those are the days I feel like I can't handle it any longer. It's a good thing I have a 14 yr old daughter to think about. She is of no help either, tho. She is very lazy about helping out too. Husband thinks that as long as she is not getting into trouble and is a good student she shouldn't have to help out at home. So, where do you turn? I just look forward to talking to you guys everyday. Thanks for listening--I'm rambling. I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. Angela

Closed Thread