It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

JeanneO HB User
How can I find out the class of a med?

I'm trying to find out what the medication Clonidine (Catapres) is and don't know where to look. I've done a search and have found info on it but nothing tells me what class or schedule drug it is. Anyone know?

Thanks

Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: How can I find out the class of a med?

It's usually part of the full prescribing info. Although many BP meds are unscheduled but need a prescription to obtain. I'll see what I can find.
Take care, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Jeanne,

Clonidine (Catapress) is in a class of medications called antihypertensives. It is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). Clonidine works by relaxing the blood vessels so that blood passes through them more easily.

Drowsiness, dry mouth, and constipation are side effects of this medication.
I don't think it is a scheduled drug. I'll have to check on that.

Take Care

Old 05-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Unscheduled due to it's lack of abuse potential, but you still need a prescription to obtain it. Why do you ask?
Dave

Old 05-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Even though it's comonly used as a BP med, it's also used in PM as an adjunct med with opiates. It's not only used as an oral and transdermal med but also often mixed with an opiate in pumps. It's also used to ease withdrawal and treat Bipolar disorder.
dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-25-2006 at 11:20 AM.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
(female)

JeanneO HB User

Thank you Shoreline and Arranger

I was on clonidine a few years ago to help with anxiety and thought that it would help for additional coverage to my pain meds (which are fairly low, but need to be increased I believe) but wasn't sure if it was considered a narcotic type med.

I asked my physiatrist about it today and they said that they typically only prescribe it for opiate withdrawals. My problem really is that I need something stronger than what they're giving me but they don't want to prescribe anything stronger or really even up my current dose (15mg hydro 4 times per day). So I'm heading for proper PM but I'm pretty sure it'll take me a while to get in. So I'm stuck at my current dose for the time being and thought that the clonidine might help with the stress and tension that I get right now. I didn't want to ask for something if it was out of line.

Thanks again!!

Closed Thread