It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
(male)

shakorox HB User
Still going through the ringer at new PM Clinic

Hello

Thus far I do like my new pain clinic, but I feel that the prerequisites for my medication plan are taking their toll. I have officially, completely, entirely, and unfortunately run out of meds. The Lyrica is gone, the oxycodone is gone, and Iím sad to say Tylenol and NSAIDís are on my list of No-Noís due to toxicities.

Itís been over a month since my first visit and Iíve had subsequent visits to have one sort of injection or another. I began the ďmedication planĒ since my first visit, which (as Iíve explained before) consists of all sorts of loops. Fortunately my persistence is paying off and I should be starting my plan (hopefully) on June 12th (my next visit with the PM Doc). Until then Iím in the process of getting an endorsement from the behavioral health and substance abuse psychoanalyst. I met with him yesterday and I spent two hours taking all sorts of tests that are indented to determine my personality, anxiety levels, pain coping methods, predicted abuse potential, and some other stuff that I canít remember. I will meet with him on June 7th and he will go over the results, analyze me some more, and go over my entire MAPS (Michigan Automated Prescription System) report. This will include any Schedule II or greater script I have received since 2003. Well Iíve already done the MAPS interrogation with my PM Doc who was concerned about the variety of Docs that where prescribing me meds. I told him about the surgeries, ER visits, and how the office I have been going to sometimes calls scripts into the pharmacy under the wrong doctorís name.

None-the-less this ordeal will hopefully be over soon. But itís not over yet and it will be a long couple of weeks. Like I mentioned I have taken the last of the meds yesterday and I now I feel like crap! My previous doc is taking a Memorial Day vacation and wonít be back for a few weeks and the PM doc has not taken over my med management yet. So here I am stuck in limbo. Iím sure it will get worse before it gets better, so all I can do is b!+@h about it, hence this post.

Thaks for listening,

-Derek-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Still going through the ringer at new PM Clinic

Hey Derek, I'm familiiar with the Minnisota multi phasic personality inventory "MMPI", It's like 700 questions from depression to klepto mania too pshosis and they ask the same question worded 10 differnt ways to see if your being truthful. It's the standard for psych eval and was required at all 4 clnics I attended whether the used opiates or not.

This "MAPS" thing sounds very interesting I take it they have a consolidated report of every scheduled med you have taken for years, who ,when, where, etc. They should understand that various docs in one pactice can all write script or refills for you. I never know which one of the docs is going to sign my scripts. If it's just a DEA visit when I'm pickng up a script I get the impression the NP just goes to the area the docs congragate and who ever is free signs them. LOL

Lordy, I guess when the number of opiate script doubles and then tripples again, it's going to raise attn. We have an OxyC tracking system in VA and the satandard DEA schedule 11 reporting done monthly at each pharmacy, but nothing as compehensive as MAPs.

I went througgh the same thing when MY surgeon referred me to the last PM clinic I went too. It was 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 weeks. But after the initial intake interveiw, I also had to wait for a leter from my surgeon and GP both stating they were aware that the PM clinic would be handling all my PM medication and they should not prescribe any more meds for this. It took about 3 weeks from the initial interveiw the surgeon assumed would be the time she took over, but at the time I was so under medicated I don't remeber feeling ill. My surgeon would call in 30 Vicodin a week and that just kept me from eating a bullet when I was bed wridden.

Every week was a guessing and waiting game as to whether he would refill the meds or not. At 20 mgs of hydro a day, I don't recall a big difference between being unable to walk without the meds and unable to walk with the lmited meds he prescribed, but the surgeon thought he was doing me some extrordinary favor by prescribing anything.

The time will pass and anything that distracts you from feeling wrotten helps. I had a hospial bed in my den and actually completd the second Tomb raider the last month before PM."I did have the cheat codes and guide though. It was the last time I played video games, but it took my mind of things for a while.

Good luck at the clinic. Hopefully all the hoops just means they are careful and they can offer a multi dsciplinary aproach to treat even the toughest cases.
Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-26-2006 at 08:41 AM.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Derek,

Sorry to hear about all the stuff you have to go through. Unfortunantely, thanks to people that abuse opiates, and lie to docs, etc, we all have to pay for that dearly.

By doing all these tests on you, they will have a nice thick file about your need for opiate meds. This way they are covered in the event of an audit. It just sucks that it takes as long as it does.

My PM clinic takes one day. You go in for your initial appt, and as long as you bring you medical records with you and have a referral from a doctor that recommends you for treatment, then the doc will start a medication plan the same day. He will also set up any injections or other treatment options that day. If you choose not to follow his recommendations, then he will generally not see you

But I cannot complain about my PM. He is very caring and concerned. Once the relationship is built and the trust is built he is always willing to try something new if we think it will work. I just bring in any old meds for him to destroy and he'll give me a new script.

Hopefully, after you finish with all this stuff, you will be able to start a med plan that works for you. Sorry you feel like crap. Its too bad they won't give you something to get you by until your next appt.

Good luck with the testing process. Take Care

Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
(male)

shakorox HB User

Yup, I'll hang in there. I've been here before in between doctors, I saw it coming and was able to taper off my meds a little bit, but like Shore said when you take a dose so much lower than your norm its almost like taking nothing at all.

Oh well, speaking of video games, I got one of those new XBox 360's, hopefully I can get into that. For now I think I'm just gonna take a hot bath for the next couple days. I think the biggest shock to my system is going from being plugged up to just the opposite, I haven't had to buy immodium in years.

I've got no big plans this weekend, I'll just take it easy and whine.

Later,
-Derek-

Closed Thread