It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User
Question New to board but not Chronic pain

I have been treated for chronic pain for few years an seem to be fairly good at dose I'm on.My doctor just imformed me he is going to be trying some of his patients on a new med an wanted me to reseach it an see what I thought,I'm a bit confused becaause he said it was a drug to be painfree an not be on narcotics anymore,he made it sound too good to be true.Now I'm finding it seems to be more for people who are havingg trouble getting off drugs.The name is SUBAXONE.Anyone know if this is also really used for chronic pain.My pain condition is for life,I have Syringomylia an I take my medicine as prescribed but I am on a high dose an he made it sound like I could get off some of the powerful drugs an this would taake the place an I'd be painfree.Please any advice would be appreciated.Thanks babycakes

Old 05-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User
Re: New to board but not Chronic pain

Hey Pas, welcome to the boards

Suboxone drug name buprenorphine, is a partial opiate agonist. This drug is an opiate but differs from drugs like Oxycodone which are full opiate agonist. A full agonist causes more euphoria and more withdrawl symptoms when stopped. A partial agonist will not cause the same amount of euphoria or withdrawl symptoms.

The unique thing about suboxone is that is approved for opiate dependence and addiction currently. However, I have heard of docs using it for pain management. But it is currently only approved for opiate dependence and addiction. And the doctor must be certified to prescribe this drug.

Another unique thing about this drug is that it will take over the opiate receptors. So for instance if you take a high dose of oxycodone daily, and then suddenly start suboxone, the suboxone will take over the receptor causing you to go into withdrawl. Usually the doc will have you come in already in mild WD's before starting suboxone.

Your doc may be weaning you off opiates if he is using this drug. It does have pain relieving effects, but not to the extent of oxycodone or the like. Like I mentioned though, this drug is currently approved for addiction and dependence. But I have read some stories of it being used off label.

Good luck, let us know how it works for you. Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this sudden change from what you are already on that you stated is working,to something like sub,well I am wonderfing if your doc may be planning something here as far as trying to get you off of narcotics completely?this just doesn't sound like the normal type of med a doc would want to just "place you on' considering your current meds that you are taking.ya know?

sub is just one of those "all or nothing' type of meds.as far as i know,it cannot be mixed with other narcotic meds at all so it is not like the same situation where you are seeing your doc and he is trying a little of this narcotic and a bit of this narcotic,all at the same time?

I really do think you need to have a little chat with your doc about his actual reasons for suddenly wanting you to try this drug,espescially since what you are taking now is actually working for you?i don't know if it is just me or not,but something just dosen't seem really "right'(or odd?) in what your doc is thinking of doing for you.

i would speak with your doc before consenting to anything with this med.i know it 'can" be used for some people for pain management but from what i have heard regarding its overall effectiveness.it would in no way ever be considered one of the 'frontline' meds used for just plain pain control.you most definitely need much more info from your daoc about his reasoning here.please let us know whats up.marcia

Old 05-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User

Thanks so much for replys.Yes what I have read so far doesn't seem to be what I need,I will say my doctor was on vacation an the other doc told me that they were the only 2 doctor's around here prescribing this an it's new for them an I didn;t want to be a guiena pig for them.They have many patient's in chronic pain an YES some of them do abuse them But my doctor know's more about me an how bad my pain is.I have to go every month for my med's an never had a problem running out so ofcourse when I read about this drug I'm thinking it sound's more for some-one with addiction problem.The way he said it was 'How would you like to be able to take a pill an it not be narcotic yet I'd be painfree?''Sounded great until I started researching it.I'm doing OK on my current meds but I haven't been painfree for year's.I take Oxycontin 80mg 3X daily an Percocet for breakthru an have been on this dose 2 year's now.So yes I would love it if what he said was true but after reading up on it I don;t think I'll be trying it out at all.Thanks again!!Babycakes

Old 05-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Yea,I really seriously doubt that you would realistically get a whole lot of relief from just sub alone.and there is no way that it would come close to comparing with the dose of the oxy you are currently taking.personally I think there are alot of docs who look at this med and think ,"hey if i can get my worst pain patients onto this stuff i wont have to actually Rx the narcottics anymore'you know what I mean?

I just seem to see this med being brought up on this board alot now where even just six months ago,it was really never mentioned at all.so the "word' must be spreading and more docs are trying it on their pain patients with alot of really hopefull thinking.The thing is tho,from what I have read on this med and heard from most of the people who have given it a go,it appears to be a rather pathetic pain med at best so I really don't understand all these docs suddenly wanting to use their patients as guinea pigs with it,unless its for an ulterior motive,ya know what I mean?

this also really limits the ability to actually use the different combos of narcotic pain meds like for BT pain??what in the heck do you do when your pain gets totally out of control on this stuff/take more of it or just suffer thu it?i don't think so.

should be interesting to see just how this "new" pain med all works itself thru the docs and patients.marcia

Old 05-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I think basically it's more effective for substance abuse and those who are on lower schedule meds. I think it's pretty useless for someone who's already taking Oxy, Methadone or MSC. It probably does work well though for someone who's only using Vicodin or perhaps percocet alone so it does have some value just not much for folks in our situation.

Closed Thread