It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User
Help !trouble With Urinating At Night

hi all,
i have an over active bladder i wake up at least 3 times at night every night.i am on detrol la it doesn't help much i have just pretty much accepted this . But over the last 3-4 days i have woke up to pee just as i do every night but i am having alot of trouble starting the flow and keep any kind of flow i am only emptying some of my bladder and i still feel like i need to pee but i can't so i fall back to sleep for maybe 45 mins-1 hour as try all over again. This happens all night however the wierd thing is that it only happens at night after i wake up for 20-30 mins it back to normal i can empty my bladder and i have a good flow. i am on many meds,but the only change in meds that i have had is increase in narcos from 6 a day to 8 a day.I am also on nontriptyline,robaxin,zantac,reglan,sero quel,but this is the same as i have been on for awhile now except the increase in narcos. Has this happened to anyone else? why is this only happening at night? please help i am a little worried.kelsey

Old 05-31-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Help !trouble With Urinating At Night

Urinary retention is a common side effect with opiates and some of the benzo's. It can also be so severe that it becomes dose limiting and the retention can lead to UA infection from not completely emptying the bladder.There are a few other meds to try aside from daytrol that dialate the urethra. It may be a side effect that deminishes or it may continue to be a problem and limit the dose of opiates you can take. I've also met folks over the years that have to straight cath at home just to empty their bladder. It can become a very serious problem and you may have to change to a different class of opiates that hopefully won't efffect you this way .

Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I know that when I first started with methadone that urine hesitancy was a major side effect for me. It took a lot of adusting to be able to relax and let it flow, so to speak.... But eventually it died down for me and I only notice it here and there now. But I did hear, as Shoreline posted, that this problem can lead to getting urinary tract infections. So if you are having this problem a lot I would definitely approach your doctor about it. You may need to do some adjusting with your medications. Since it seems that you are having this problem mostly at night, it may be as easy as chaging the time of day as to when you are taking some of your meds? But it could be possible too that you are already at the start of a UTI. Is it burning at all when you are actually going? I know that the first sign of my getting one is the constant feeling of having to go, and then only being ablee to get a couple of drops out when I do and then immediataly after feeling as though I STILL have to go. The pain and burning don't normally come until I am way into the infection for me. So you may want to get checked out. UTI's are not fun as I'm sure everyone knows. Let us know what happens! I hope your body is just adjusting to the change you had in your meds and that it will all clear up for you soon. Good luck!

Tina

Old 06-02-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

was this just a sudden type of onset thing or did you have any sort of issue with this before the med change?the fact that this appears to be a positional thing could possibly indicate a new change in your actual condition?what IS you actual Dx and any places along the spine that are causing you problems?do you have any,and I mean any,sort of urinary issues at all what so ever during the day?even something that would be considered no big deal type of symptom,but it has some sort of a connection with the bladder?have you noticed any sort of even smaller type of changes with your normal condition?any changes in your bowels?marcia

Old 06-02-2006, 05:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

yes,i do have to pee alot all day and i have for a long time ,at night and during the day.I have notice the flow was a little slow even (for about a week) before the big issue with it being real slow(over the last couple of day).I have been also very contsipated(sp?) i just thought that was to be expected with increase in pain meds. My dx is cervical spinal stenosis c2-c6 and i also have ddd many bones spurs that are indenting my spinal cord at c3-c6 ,many bulding discs thanks for you input kelsey1(please let me know what you think) kelsey1

Old 06-02-2006, 07:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am wondering really,if there has been some sort of a specific change or a 'shift" in the way the discs could be possibly compressing your spinal nerves but only really badly when lying down.since you already were having some sort of actual affectation prior to this newest nightly and some daily?changes.I would really seriously bring this up to your doc.any sudden changes to your urinary or bowel habits could just indicate a compromise or compression on spinal nerves,that in your particular case,may just become more apparent as the position changes and there is more pressure or constriction of a particular nerve.does that make any sort of sense??

i know from experience and listening to other people who have spinal issues,that we are all being constantly asked if there are any changes in urinary or bowel habits?i just think that at the very least,you need to be re evaluated by your NS as soon as possible to check for any other more subtle types of neuro changes that he would be able to pick up during a neuro eval that you may not have even noticed yourself.better safe than sorry when dealing with things of a spinal nature.i would give him a call today.let me know what you find out.good luck,hopefully this may actually only be some sort of a bladder infection or UTI or something,those conditions could affect the urinary changes you are having as well.just an FYI.Marcia

Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hi all
i just wanted to let you guys know ,i called my dr and since i was already having some urinary problems they sent me to urologist(sp?) i have an appt for 6/27/06 .I am still having this problem just at night. Hopefully it nothing too seroius.I am a little scared ,I hope its not a tumor or somthing I will let you guys know.Thanks again for all your help.I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!!!!! Kelsey

Closed Thread