It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

JeanneO HB User
Recommendation for TENS unit

Can anyone recommend a TENS unit? Preferences in models, manufacturer, price, where to buy, etc.

Thanks!!
JeanneO

Old 06-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Recommendation for TENS unit

The best TENs units are the ones that are actually prescribed by a doctor or therapist. The ones that can be bought online or in a store do not have the same bandwidth or strength as one which is actually a medical device. Talk to your doctor about prescribing one, most insurance companies will pay for it with the appropriate documentation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 01:46 AM   #3
(female)

lulu222 HB User

My unit is Empi, model EPIX XL. I've had it for over five years though. It's been a lifesaver and their customer service was outstanding. I received it from physical therapy and then had to get a prescription from my doctor so the insurance would pay for it.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey lulu,mine is an empi too.i have had some really good luck with using it on my RSD knee,it doesn't do too much for the nasty burning but it does help alot when the hidious deep bone ache i have in the head of the femur goes totally insane.

I do think that the best way to go about actually obtaining one would be thru your docs referral to a therpy place.thats what my PM did.she sent me to their PT unit where I met with the PT and she did a really in depth physical eval of all of my motor functions and watched me walk and all that good stuff.they will also show you the best possible spots to place those electrodes which is really the key in getting the best possible relief and benefit from the unit.they can also answer any of your questions.i can also cll her at anytime if i have any more questions about anything having to do with trying some new configuration or something.

also the customer service people at the vendor co (mine is EMPI) are very helpful too.mine used to call me every month to see if i still needed to rent it(you usually will start out this way and after a specific period of time,you will be asked if you still need it and want to purchase it,i definitely did)or if I needed new electrodes or anything.

but renting this first is usually the best way to try it since you really have no clue(unless you have actually tried it from somewhere else?)whether or not it will even work for you.why fork out all that money for something that may not even work for you,ya know?this gives you the chance to at least see how it works for your pain.

but i would speak with your doc or pain clinic and go from there,that really IS by far the best way to get one, along with all of the very important info you will need from the PT person who goes over it with you.good luck,I hope it works well for you.Marcia

Old 06-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Empi is the one I have as well which is why I suggested a prescribed one instead of one of those cheap ones you can buy online! I love it. Have had it for 10 years now and it's still going strong.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
(female)

sons2 HB User

Hi guys

I have a couple of questions. I received a TENS unit also from my doctor, but a few years ago I used to get those treatments from the Chiropractor (sp?) and they did very well for me. My question is this, although my TENS unit helps a little, do they have different strengths in the units. Mine seems to be very weak, even with a brand new battery, and it turned up all the way. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
sons2

Old 06-05-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
(female)

JeanneO HB User

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to call my PT and have them order one for me. I called the Dr and he said he would write me a script for it and to pick it up when I come in on Wed. He did tell me to just get one off the internet but thanks to all of you I'll get a good one through my PT.

JeanneO

Old 06-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sons2, chances are your chiro was using was one of those stronger devices. They do come in varying strengths but you'd have to talk to a mfg. to really find out what the "strongest" there is and if it's even viable to purchase. Some medical instrumentation is not for sale and that may be the case of the unit in which he used on you.

A good TENS will have the ability to increase several different bands and pulse rates. The one I have is pretty strong. A little story.. many years ago I was looking to purchase a new car and was in the dealership. I was having some knee problems and so I had my TENS on, it didn't have a case to protect the bandwidth button so I accidently brushed up against the TENS and put the unit on full blast! My leg started spasming and stuck straight out in front of me, I couldn't even bend it back down into place until I turned the unit down. It was a very very painful situation and I think I scared everyone in the dealership hehe. I since learned to place my unit in an area that won't get accidently turned up.

Closed Thread