It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
"new"looking oxy IR Mallin??

just a quick question to any of you who normally take the mallinkrodt version of the oxy IR? do yours look different now?

I picked up my usual oxy IR the other day and it had a combo of two different looking pills that were the same thing.for some reason(any ideas?shore?)they have 'reshaped"or maybe reformulated"??the old oxy ir into a bigger more "barrel shaped" looking pill than it used to be.I was told that my Rx contained some of the old and some of the new pills in it and when I got home and looked at them,well the new ones are now rather "high' but still have all the old markings like the M with the square around it/ but they are no longer the flatter type that was more spread out?just wondering if anyone has seen these too and if they no of any actual reason for this change???

It kinda suprised me and made me kinda wonder why they did something that would have most definitely had to cost them alot of money as they would have had to change their machines and such,without a good reason?

enquireing minds just want to know,ya know??thanks ,Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: "new"looking oxy IR Mallin??

Hey Marcia, Mallinkrodt makes a generic version of both OxyIR and Roxicodone 5mg. IF the script is written for Oxy IR you should get the capsules. Gelletin capsules are manufactured by a number of companies and mallinkrodt is going to look for the the best value and buy empty gel caps in bulk. Roxicodne is a tablet, If the doc wrote a script for Roxi 5mg and checks the generic substitution box then you should get the pill rather than a capsule. If a doc just writes OxyCodone 5mg, the pharmacy can substistitute either the capsule or the tablet.

The first thing that comes to mind if they reformalated the shape or size of a pill is that they may have moved production of the tablets to a different facility and have different pill presses or the had a problem with the thinner pill breaking in the bottle or the manufacturing process. Making it thicker would simply add some strength and allow a higher rate of compaction so you don't have a few crushed or broken tablets in every bottle of 100 or 500 they ship out to their wholesale customers.

Likely they are trying to make a pill that handles the production, packing and shipping process better or they have changed manufacturing sites and use a different machine for compacting the oxy, fillers and binders into a tablet. I wouldn't think it would make a big difference in how well one or the other works, but may prevent a few broken pills at the bottom of a bottle when you get to the end of the month. it just seems to make sense that a larger thicker pill would be less prone to crumble or break during packaging and transport.

Just a guess but I can check Mallinkrodts press release section and see if there is any mention of the change and why.
Take care, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey marcia, I dug around Mallinkrodts web site and and there does seem to be some new propaganda explaining their new commitment to a comprehensive compliance program "CCP" I would imagine it's a problem when they ship bottles of 100 or 500 class 11 medications and only 95% of the pills in the bottle are usuable, a report is filed with some govt agency to acount for the lost or unusable class 11 meds. Hence the need for retooling or reformulating and statements of comprehensive compliance programs to state and federal agencies.

Hopefully this just means a better product for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-20-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey Dave, The last time I saw something regarding crating some version of
OxyContinNX was when a the hot spots in kentucky and in western VA were making the news. In response Purdue stopped distribution of the 160 tablet, and did try to formulate a version of OxyContin with naltrexone, simillar to what They did with Takwyn in the 70. The ran less than 6 months worth of trials and reported that althought the nalrexone in theory would prevent the high from IV injection, The naltrexone was also effectively blocking the anelgesic action of Oxycontin. At the time it seemed to be just a math problem as to how much to add, but appearently with a drug that's already making billions of dalars a year, the idea of creating an entirely new drug that would have to get the same aproval any new drug gets simpl y wasn't worth their time.

<removed>

Take care, Dave

Last edited by Administrator; 04-20-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Closed Thread