It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #1

larrykatz70 HB User
Pharmacy Question

My doctor's office does not require that I sign a contract to use just one pharmacy but they have told me that they prefer that I use just one. In the past, it has never been a problem, however, the last time I filled my scripts I had to use a different pharmacy than I normally use. My question is, is there any way that my doctors office will know that I used a different pharmacy (aside from me telling them)?

Thank you.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User
Re: Pharmacy Question

Larry,

Most PM docs require only one pharmacy. There are several reasons; one is because if you are using just one pharmacy then they will be familar with previous scripts and could help you find a possible drug interaction. Another reason is to prevent abuse. Many people that abuse these drugs have several docs and several pharmacies.

You should only use one pharmacy for your safety as well as the docs. Docs that prescribed controlled meds, are watched closer than other docs. If they get audited by the DEA, they need to be able to show that they took the proper steps to assure compliance.

At my clinic, you have to put down one pharmacy. You can ask for a change, but they require you to give the new name, effective date, and address of the pharmacy.

Just curious, why do you want to use different pharmacies?

Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

You should stick to just one pharmacy for the reasons stated. At your next appointment you should tell your doctor that you had to change pharmacies for whatever valid reason there may of been so he is aware of it.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #4

larrykatz70 HB User

To answer your question, I have only used a different pharmacy once and don't plan to do it again. I had to take an unplanned business trip during the week that I would normally fill my script so, unfortunately, I had no choice.

I have been seeing a surgeon who has been managing my meds for the past two years. I've had two back surgeries and have another scheduled. Was just worried because this is the first time I've ever had to use a different pharmacy and was trying to brainstorm on ways that it might get back to the doctor. Do pharmacies usually send copies of prescriptions (or the original) back to the doctor's office once they've filled it? I know they didn't call the doc's office to verify the script when I filled it which I thought was odd.

I live in California, if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

yes,it will get back if your dr does a casper report like most dr do.So it is best to just tell him,call on monday or tell him your next appt.My pain dr said that all dr do casper reports now.. kelsey1

Old 06-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I'm not sure if a "Casper report" is what the doctors and pharmacies in my area have, but the do have a central data base they can acess that will show all scripts you have filled and the doctor that wrote it. It also give the medication and just about any and all about the script you had filled.

If a person is doctor shopping and getting multiple scripts from different docs and using several different pharmacies, sooner or later a pharmacy or doc will pick up on the fact and the person will get busted.

Is this what you mean when you refer to a "Casper report"?

Old 06-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

yes, in my area lou,ky they refer to it as a casper report... take care,kelsey

Old 06-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #8

larrykatz70 HB User

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful information. I will definitely call the doc's office on Monday to tell them that I had to use a different pharmacy than normal last week.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Kelsey - what the heck is a Casper Report? It sounds ghostly!!! I use 2 different pharmacies and sometime three. Reason being: One pharmacy doesn't carry the Roxan brand of methadone while another doesn't carry the right brand of oxycodone and one refuses to order anything but malenkrud brands of most any narcotic! Another problem is that the pharmacies I deal with WILL NOT hold medication for a customer - as crazy as that sounds! They are both designated as Hospice pharmacies and have to fill all narcotic prescriptions on a first come first served basis. So if my pharmacy that usually fills my 540 tabs of methadone only has 320, I can't go back and get the remainder due me when the next shipment comes in. It's either take what they have and get an additional prescription for the rest, or find another pharmacy that has the entire 540 tabs. You can see how it is necessary to use whatever pharmacy has the pills at the time of the fill date. My doc has never, ever told me that the pharmacy calls him or has called him to report where I have my scripts filled and I know for a fact that he knows I have to go to several different ones to find the correct amount of meds. I'm not doubting you Kelsie - andI'm sure the DEA or someone really is watching over us with a magnifying glass.....but sometimes I don't think the rules hold true for every jurisdiction. I could be wrong... KathyMac

Old 06-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hi all,
A casper report is a report that a dr can get in mintues at his office that tell what meds you are on and where you go to get them filled.Now with that being said you can get your meds filled anywhere thats not breaking any laws ,fda only cares if you go to different phar to get different scripts from different dr.So the only person that cares if one is going to different phars to get the same scipts from there dr is only there dr. Sp if your dr is ok with that all is well.Everytime i have been to different dr and got controlled subs even my primary dr will run a casper before they even give you a nar. they will tell you every scipt you have had that year. This tells them if you are dr shopping at all. It is a great tool pm dr or all dr for that matter.. Wish all a great pain free day. kelsey

Old 06-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi all, I agreed to only use one pharmacy, and I chose a large chain store that is open 24 hours. That way I never get stuck by them being closed, Also, If I am out of town, I can use a pharmacy in the same chain and all their computers are connected, so they can see all my other prescriptions. If I use a pharmacy out of town, even though it is the same chain, I always call my doctors office as soon as I get back to let her know. Better safe than sorry! Best of luck to you, Fabby

Old 06-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
(female)

ladyalaska40 HB User

When I was using a l/a med I had to use one pharmacy, but now that I only use perc. & soma they don't require me to use just one. I have had challenges in the past with the pharmacy on the script being out of one of the meds and having to go back for another script then back to another pharmacy. Plus the one that I was using decided to not fill for one of the docs at my office, so they stopped putting the pharmacy on the script. I only use Wal-Mart and Costco, but they each have 2 locations here and it depends on what type of shopping I have to do when I need to fill my scripts. Plus, now I call the pharmacies and ask if they have the amounts of my meds before i get to the doctor's office. But, my docs office knows all of this.....

Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
(female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User

What is a casper report?? And I have used two pharmacies with my methadone,be cause sometimes the regular pharmacy is out of the methadone and has to order. If I don't want to wait I go to another pharmacy. babyboomer

Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
(female)

mshatch HB User

I have never heard of casper report but I have heard that I am on a DEA list because of the meds I take. My doc prefers I use only one pharmacy but I have had to use a different one a couple times, but I do let her know. In my opinion honesty with your doc is always the best policy. I have nothing but good results from being honest. You will be much better off telling the truth now rather than having our doc finding the truth out for themselves.
Good luck,
just be honest
MSHATCH

Old 06-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Are We All On A Dea List ? Kelsey

Closed Thread