It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User
Pain med question

Does anybody know of any pain med that a person can take that doesn't make you feel completely out of it? Everybody seems so knowledgable. I Just read the thread on the prednisone and I learned a lot there. I can't handle the stuff myself. I quit taking it the other day. I swore I was going to have a heart attack. I am stuck with Motrin right now because I can't handle all of the other pain killers the dr has given me. I have oxycotin, vicodin, flexeril and a few others, but I end up feeling so wierd. I end up putting up with the pain because of it. Maybe with everyone's advice I could come up with something. I am also going to mention the anti-inflamatories to my dr. I do have celebrex, but my stomach couldn't handle it after a while. I now have to take nexium because of the topamax and the motrin I take. Do you just get used to the feeling after a while? Thanks once again. I know I can be a pain

Old 06-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #2

TimeWarp32 HB User
Re: Pain med question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteam
Does anybody know of any pain med that a person can take that doesn't make you feel completely out of it? Everybody seems so knowledgable. I Just read the thread on the prednisone and I learned a lot there. I can't handle the stuff myself. I quit taking it the other day. I swore I was going to have a heart attack. I am stuck with Motrin right now because I can't handle all of the other pain killers the dr has given me. I have oxycotin, vicodin, flexeril and a few others, but I end up feeling so wierd. I end up putting up with the pain because of it. Maybe with everyone's advice I could come up with something. I am also going to mention the anti-inflamatories to my dr. I do have celebrex, but my stomach couldn't handle it after a while. I now have to take nexium because of the topamax and the motrin I take. Do you just get used to the feeling after a while? Thanks once again. I know I can be a pain
Prednisone is a drug that you CANNOT just quit taking. You must be weaned off prednisone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 04:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Bluestream,

There are many pain killers out there, however, you are limited to a few classes. Narcotic Analagesics (Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Morphine, etc.) Then there are anti-inflamm. (Ibuprofen, Tordal), and cox-2 inhibitors (Celebrex), and steroids (Prednisone, Methylpredisone). Then anti-seizure meds. Then finally just analgesics like Tylenol.

Other meds are now being used like anti-seizure meds, anti-depressants, muscle relaxers

All the above have side effects to some extent or another. The obvious with Narcotics, drowsiness, nausea, constipation, etc. However, much of that stuff does go away with time to a degree.

The anti-inflamm. meds can do a number on the stomach wall and gastric system.

Celebrex and Vioxx were used with some success by many, however, people with a history of heart conditions should not use these meds.

Steroids should not be used for chronic use. They can be very effective, but should only be used short time..

And Tylenol can cause liver damage after a while.

So, they all have side effects, and in my opinion, the safest for long term would be a narcotic without tylenol added like OxyContin, Oxy IR, Morphine, Fentanyl. Once you get passed the drowsy, nausea, etc, some have minimal side effects. Constipation is usually the only issue that will not go away without taking something or changing your diet. Fentanyl is probably the best for the least constipation.

I don't know how long you have been taking these meds?? But if you just recently started, you may want to give it some time to see how you feel. You could also ask for a reduction in meds, starting at a lower mg and titrating from there as needed.

And then of course trying other PM treatments can be beneficial. Massage, PT, TENS, Injections, etc.

Also, the Topamax can cause you to feel kind of spacey as well.

Thats about it for pain meds. Unfortunantely, being in pain can be a pain.... You either live with the pain or live with some of the side effects of the meds.

Discuss it with your doc and see what you can come up with to reduce your side effects.

Take Care

Old 06-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

TW32--I should have been a little more clear about my prednisone, my dr puts me on it occasionally for usually five days at a time and she will tell me to quit if it gets to be too much. I seem to get easily agitated on the stuff also. My lower back does feel better when I take it, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Aranger--Hi, thanks once again for your advice, I will talk to my pm tomorrow when I have my esi and see what he says. I am just getting so tired of the pain. I've been doing so well handling it, but I can only handle so much. I guess if I can handle the "strangeness" of the topa then I should be able to handle the rest. Never thought about that. I did some mowing and weed-eating last night and today I can't walk. Just wanted to make myself a little usefull. Didn't feel too bad at the time but I didn't get too far either. My primary kept giving me all the pills without really telling me how to take them, so that could be part of the problem. I think my pm would be better for this than she is. The anti-inflamitories seem to work best for me. I will go ahead and hope that my pm has time after the esi to talk to me about it. fyi, he will be using "versa" and has given me some valium to take today and tomorrow before my appt., I will let you know how it went. I keep telling myself that it can't be worse than my emg test. Anyway, thanks again for all your advice. Keep smiling. Angela

Old 06-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #5

TimeWarp32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteam
TW32--I should have been a little more clear about my prednisone, my dr puts me on it occasionally for usually five days at a time and she will tell me to quit if it gets to be too much. I seem to get easily agitated on the stuff also. My lower back does feel better when I take it, but it doesn't seem worth it to me
Yes I know what you mean Blue. I am on massive doses of prednisone at the moment due to having just been transplanted(hence why I am checking out the pain managment board -_-), and ya, it really does make me very irritable, and causing some mood swining problems. But unfortunitaly it is one of the drugs that is causing my body to NOT reject my heart, so for that I am thankful.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Angela,

I'm sure you appt will go just fine .

I think you are probably referring to "Versed" which is Midazolam. It is in the same class as Valium, a benzo, just much more potent. One of the unique things about Versed is that it has some amnesia qualities. So if it is your first time getting Versed, you may not remember much after the procedure. You'll be awake, but may just have a limited recollection of what happened. Which is generally a good thing....

Hope everything goes well with the injections. Let us know how it went, if you remember

Old 06-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

If you find relief from anti-imflamatories you might want to check out Mobic. It's the same thing as Celebrex but I found that it was much more effective and not as harsh on the stomache. Additionally to protect your stomache from the medication you should be on a medication for GERD which will protect you.

The only medication I can think of that I really never had that fuzzy side effect from was Ultram but it's pretty low level in terms of pain medication but perhaps something to consider if you're not taking anything at all.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Angela, I wanted to add to what another poster said, You may want to ask your doctor about ultram (tramadol) I have been on it for years and have found it to be a very effective pain killer. However it can have some side effects, and its another one you cannot stop taking abruptly. It is non-narcotic, but it does have some narcotic properties to it. anyway, it's something else to discuss with your doctor and maybe give it a try. Best of luck to you, Fabby

Old 06-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Aranger--you're right, it is versed--I'm so not good at this stuff!! I will let you know how things go. Amnesia would be nice at the moment everything is hapening. My anxiety level is quite high right now. But I'm sure I will live.

I do have Ultram and I was trying to take it when I was experiencing very high pain levels with the migraines. I may have waited until it was too late to take it and like the others it didn't even touch the pain at all. That would be a good one to start with if it is non narcotic. I will also ask my pm about the mobic and the gerd (if I'm in any shape at that point-I will ask my husband to be there so I don't forget anything after the esi) I haven't messed around with anything since starting the topamax because of all the side effects of that med. Plus I don't know what to mix with what. If I can't discuss my meds with him tomorrow I will be sure to do it at my next follow up visit. I have to do something. In the meantime I am getting great advice and something to start with. I appreciate all the advice and I'll take all my notes with me. Thanks all of you!!

Old 06-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Angela,

I just want to caution you a little about Tramadol/Ultram/Ultracet. This drug is indeed a synthetic opioid analgesic. It does bind to the opiate receptors and can cause many of the same side effects of other opioids. However, tramdol or ultram, also has some anti-depressant qualities as well. This can make this drug hard to get off, even sometimes harder than a pure opiate like Morphine, due to both anti-dep and opioid qualities.

When this drug first came out, it was marketed as a great drug that has a very low potential for abuse, does not cause addiction or dependency, or to a very little degree. Many docs started handing this med out as an alternative to other opiates. The problems was, and still is, this med can be a problem to get off of and some the side effects can be the same or worse than others especially during WD from this med.

I'm not saying that ultram/tramdol is not an effective drug. Just want to make sure you understand that it also has many potential side effects that you mentioned earlier that you disliked. I would rather come off of Morphine than Tramadol myself. Just my opinion though.

Just FYI, Ortho-McNeil is the manufacturer of Ultram. You can go to there website to confirm what I just mentioned about this drug.

Just make sure you research it before going right to it thinking its very safe drug without side effects or dependency issues.

Take Care

Old 06-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Aranger, wow thanks for the info!! something to think about!! Thank You I'm going to try to go to bed and get some sleep on my motrin. The pm gave me valium to help calm me for tomorrow, but I'm thinking it was too small of a dose. I hope everything is going better for you--it's too bad we're not allowed to contact each other when we need support. I've also met a gal from Canada taking the topamax who is having the same side effects as I am and we are having a blast comparing notes. Angela

Closed Thread