It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
(male)

Gabe30 HB User
Angry Bad experience at the ER the other night

My pain had gotten out of control even after having my daily alotted pain pills, etc... so I went to the same hospital/ER that I always go to for morphine and nausea medication and have never had a problem, except for three nights ago.

After getting checked into my room with my dad with me, it took at least over an hour until the nurse saw me and she had taken care of me many times before which is nice. She tells me that it shouldn't take long until they give me my morphine, etc. Well about 20 minutes later, this PA who was on duty comes in my room whom I had never had before and starts questioning me down like where the pain is coming from and what would my PM doctor do about this? She was being a total witch that I could tell my dad was getting really upset. She then tells me that she'll have to call my PM doctor and see what he wants done. I tell her I have his cell phone number in my cell and she gets all pissy about that and I have to explain to her that we are friends.

She then leaves the room and says she'll put a call in for him. An hour passes by and my dad and I are still sitting in our room and I'm laying in serious pain with the PA nowhere to be found. So I open my door up and see my nurse and ask her how much longer it was going to take so I could get some pain relief and she tells me that the PA is waiting for my PM doctor to call her. You see my PM doctor wasn't on call anyways that night but told me when I had called him an hour earlier that to give his cell phone number to thePA and he would tell her to give me 10mg of morphine, etc.

Finally, it's been almost 3 hours and the nurse comes in and gives me a shot in my rump with nausea medication and 10mg of morphine and lets me go. I asked my nurse what the PA's name was because I was unhappy with her attitude and how she conducted herself. So I am writing a letter to the PA's boss and am going to complain her for making me lay in pain for 3 hours when every other time I go to the ER I have had great PA's and Doctor's who get me pain relief within an hour that I get there.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Bad experience at the ER the other night

There's nothing more frustrating than going to the ER and being treated like you have. All she needed to do is pull up your chart and see what the history was instead of treating you like an abuser. I certainly would write a letter but be sure to be calm and factual.

The last time I went to the ER I was in a car accident, rear ended at a dead stop which ultimately busted a screw in my neck from a previous ACDF. I was in horrendous pain and had missed my regular morphine schedule because of the accident. Generally when I go in (which is really rare) the doctor will give me a shot of demmerol well this time I got some guy with an ego who gave me 1 vicodin, yes VICODIN and told me to go home and take my own pain medications that they couldn't offer me anything stronger there! He coulda called my PM and asked him what to give me it was during business hours instead of playing God. I was so appalled. I did go home and take my meds but of course due to the damage in my neck it didn't help...

I now avoid ER's as much as possible! There are several horror stories on the board about how we are treated.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi Gabe,

Have you ever talked to your PM about Rx'ing you morphine IM for use at home for emergencies? In Canada we mix it with Gravol but I imagine they have something similar in the U.S.?

I have it for home use and I have talked to quite a few in the U.S. that have IM pain meds. (seems to be demerol more in the U.S. though) for home use.

I'm not saying it is common practice but it might be worth asking about it if you have to go thru experiences like this very often.

Chaz

Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
(male)

Gabe30 HB User

Hey Kissa and Chaswick,

I was treated by this PA like I was a drug abuser. I have a pretty substantial history with my records that the ER room has on me. I suffer from mild to extreme nerve pain, and when it's severe I have to go to the ER for morphine.

That really sucks what you went through Kissa. The doctor hands you one vicodin and tells you to go home. That's even worse than what I went through.......lol

Hey Chaswick, I'll check with my PM doctor about those morphine pills when I see him in July. He knows I have a history of ER visits so that shouldn't be a problem getting a few at the very least.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
(male)

Gabe30 HB User

Dear conductor (Jon),

Appreciate your support and I'm glad that what I shared just opened up your eyes again about bad ER experiences. I did write that letter and was calm yet very factual at the same time. Hopefully this PA I had will get a talking too and scolded at the very least.

Oh and about those morphine shots, those sound like a wonderful alternative instead of going to the ER when my pain gets out of control.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
(male)

Gabe30 HB User

bump bump

Closed Thread