It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
(female)

mshatch HB User
Need sleep but what really works?

Hi Everyone,
I went to visit my PM doc today and the subject of sleep came up. When I got a divorce 7 yrs ago (from my first hubby) I havent beeen able to fall asleep until the hrs of2-4am. My dr sujested alot of anti-depressants that are supposed to be helpful but I had taken every one she suggested. Such as elavil, zolft, ambien even lunesta to name a few. I told her that my pcp chalked it up to adrenaline or hyperactivity. I do have alot of mental issues and I almost always seem to get panic attacks at night. She said she would do some research so that maybe I could start sleeping. I was wondering if you all had any suggestions. Remember I have taken almost every anti depressant and even xanax. I am currently taking valium but it doesnt seem to help with the sleep. I am on the maximum (valium 10). I guess you could say I am as stomped as she is. I was wondering if you all may have some suggestions or could share with me the things that have helped you out with sleep issues. As always I appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks guys you really have always been there for me and I am hoping you all can help now. That way when I see her again I can pass along a few hints.

Thanks......Always
MSHATCH................

Old 06-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: Need sleep but what really works?

Have you tried Remeron (anti-depressant)? It's pretty darn sedating. I've tried numerous things, and the one that worked the best was Remeron.

Ambien CR was better for me than the regular Ambien.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

have you tried seroqueal 100 mg works great for me.good luck kelsey

Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

mshatch HB User

Thanks for the replies. I will pas those on to my dr. Thanks for being such a god family.

Always
MSHATCH

Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

Have you tried trazodone???It comes in 50 and 100mgs pills,I took up to 300mgs a night and it did help me sleep.I have tried everything myself so vI know where your coming from,it's very frustrating.Have you tried working out say around 7-8 pm every night??Good luck and let us know how you made out......Dave

Old 06-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I found Remmeron to work fantastic for sleep and depression! My husband takes the Seroquel and it works well to help him maintain sleep, he's tried just about all other meds mentioned here and none of them worked for him but the Seroquel works wonders.

I also found that Sonnota works much better than Ambien and doesn't have the freaky side effects and no morning grogginess.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
(female)

mshatch HB User

I appreciate all of your imputs I will certainly mention each and evryone to my dr. She is always open to sugestions. She was really stomped because everything she mentioned I had tried. The meds you all are suggesting never even came up, but I will write them all down and see what she says. I go back in two weeks and will let you all know what happens. Thanks to all of you. You all are really my second family. I wish the best to each and all of you.
LOVE
MSHATCH

Old 06-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
(male)

gortian HB User

Hi, my PDOC recommended Seroquel. I've been taking it for the
last couple of years. It has worked wonders. Like you, I've taken
all of the drugs known to man and nothing has worked. Tell your
doctor about it. Good luck!

Peace and Love,
Frank......

Old 06-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
(female)

calbeth HB User
Wink Re: Need sleep but what really works?

This thread has some old posts, but maybe people are still searching for sleep aid, so I'll add something that works for me. I take a combination of Elavil - 20 mg. and Klonopin 25 mg. (or sometimes just half a pill). It let's me get back to sleep right away if I awake for one reason or another.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I haven't read all the posts so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Trazadone. It's an anti-depressant that I think is used mostly for sleep. I took it for many, many years and it really worked very well for me. I'm not taking it any longer, now I take Ambien if I need something to help me sleep. That works well for me also - but I don't need to take it every night. Hope you find something that works. KathyMac

Old 06-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #11
(male)

murfisto HB User

my PM is very conservative and likes to use the safest drugs around. he put me on zoloft for depression (suicidal) and my terrible thoughts disappeared after about 10 days and have never returned. i am in chronic intractible pain and laying down in bed simply adds to my pain. my PM upped my pain drugs and started me on Restaril about a year ago. An excellent choice. When i am ready to call it a day, i take one capsule and within 15 minutes or so i am OUT! i stay asleep for around 4-5 hours. pain wakes me up and i take a short-acting pain drug and go back to sleep for another 1-2 hours, enough for me. eventually, the hangovers stopped (drowsyness) and i have no other side effects from the combination. only what worked for me, of course. if you have suicidal thoughts, sleeping pills are OUT until your depression is under control. remember, most anti-depressants take at least 10 days to 2 weeks to reach effectiveness levels. good luck!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
(female)

mshatch HB User

Hey
I want to thank you all for your helpful replies. I have written down every suggestion and will pass it onto my doc. I go back next tuesday. I will let you all know what she comes up with. I will also let you know what her research turned up. You are a wonderful bunch of friends and I thank God for this board everyday.
Thanks
MSHAtCH

Closed Thread