It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

antoinettev3 HB User
Oxy & BT Pain

I recently started taking 10mg Oxycontin twice a day for my cancer pain. I also have 5/325 Percocet for BT pain.

Blessedly the Oxy is working remarkably well for the pain but it wears off at around the 8-9 hour mark. I take a percocet to get me to my next dose of oxy.

My questions are:

1.Would the pain that comes on after 8-9 hours be considered BT pain?
2.Should I take my next dose of oxy when the pain returns instead of dealing with the up and down of the percocet?
3.I recall reading that even though oxy is prescribed for 12 hour dosing it doesn't actually last that long. Is this true?

Last year I was unable to get my pain under control because of bad reactions to narcotics. I tried everything but Oxy. For some reason my pain management doc would not try it on me. I ended up having radiation to treat my pain. I was pain free for 7 months. Unfortunately my pain returned with a vengence about 3 weeks ago.

I decided to have my oncologist manage my pain this time instead of returning to the pain doc because of the unreasonable time I had to spend in the waiting room while in excrutiating pain. The last time I went in I waited 40 mintues to be called and then an additional 20 minutes in the exam room before the doc showed up. It's also easier just seeing one doc instead of having to make two seperate appts. I have to see the oncologist anyway.

I'm very happy with the oxy so far but feel I would get better round the clock relief if I didn't have to wait for the 12 hour mark. How is Oxy usually prescribed?

Thanks in advance.

Antoinette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User
Re: Oxy & BT Pain

Hey Antoinette,

OxyContin however marketed as a 12 hour release drug, only really works for a max of about 8 hours. This is due to the release mechanism of the pill. So a 10 mg tablet released half (5mg) at about .6 hours and the rest at about the 6th hour. Oxycodone generally only works for about 4 hours by itself. So at the first release, much of it has probably worn off and you are now feeling BT pain.

When the second dose releases, it will take more of the drug to get your pain under control.

Many docs will prescribe this med three times a day as this is really how it works. However Purdue Pharma (Maker of OxyContin) still markets it as a 12hr drug. But due to so many people with the same complaints, many are now prescribing it TID.

Also, 10mg is a pretty low dose. If you are finding yourself needing BT meds quite a bit, then your LA dose should be raised. The first step though would be to see if your doc will prescribe TID for the OxyContin and see how that covers your pain. If it is still not covered, then you will probably need a dose increase.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

I take oxycotin for my back pain,and just like arranger said,it works best if perscribed tid[3x a day] It seems many doctors don't like to perscribe oxycotin,but have no problem perscribing percocet,the funny thing is,percocet has the same narcotic in it as oxycotin,its oxycodone,the only diffrence is oxycotin is time-released and has no tylonol in it.Since my doc. allowed me to take the oxycotin tid,i don't need to take much b.t meds.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
(male)

murfisto HB User

antoinette, i am a long-term intractable pain patient and have been using OC for more than 4 years. like others, i started on 10mg 2X a day. my very conservative pain manager refused, after knowing well that the 20mg dosage i was up to had virtually NO effect on my pain, told me to try yoga or some other non-traditional approach to relieving my pain. i fired him after 7 years of caring for me. yes, he is afraid of this class of drugs, like so many other docs after watching the US government attack caring doctors who feel that pain should be MANAGED! i transferred to a physician who wants me to return to life so he upped my dosage to 30 mg 3X a day. he actually asked me how long the 20mg had any effect and when i told him "about 6-8 hours", he told me to take the OC every 8 hours. i am no where near pain free but now i can concern myself about others instead of being wrapped up in my own pain. so, YES, 3X per day is a better dosage for those needing powerful pain relief.

Last edited by murfisto; 06-12-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
(female)

lmm77 HB User
Unhappy Re: Oxy & BT Pain

Could someone please help me?? My husband broke his back March 19, 2006. He requested that he not be given any morphine or Oxycotin while in the hospital. He was taking Vicidian 4 times a day 7.5 mil. That really did nothing for his pain. He went back to work on June 19th because if he did not return...he would not have a job or insurance. My husband is scared to death to take Oxycotin. He is afraid of addition. Is it true that when you take that kind of drug because you need it..it is totally different that when it is taken for a temporary high??? My husband has a very physical job and no matter what kind of pain he is in...he will do it. His doctor just cut is pain medication from every four hours to every 8 hours. and he is at a point that he can not stand the pain. Does anyone have any suggestions????

Old 06-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

Imm 77, tell your husband not to worry. Studies have shown that only a small % (3%, I believe) of Chronic Pain patients on opiates become addicted.

there is a huge difference between addicition and dependence.

Addiction is when you crave the drug and take it just to get high. Addicition is when you do not follow the docs directrions because you want to get high. It also is when you buy the drug off the street.

Now, dependence is another matter. CP'ers, like me, are dependent on our meds. That simply means that if they are stopped abruptly, we would suffer withdrawals. Also, as time goes on, we become tolerant of our current doses which means that our dosages do rise over time.

I am using the 100 mcg Fentanyl patch with 30 mg Roxicodone for breakthrough pain.

OxyContin is a long acting med. Your husband might need a short acting med for breakthrough pain.

good Luck.

Alan

Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
(female)

lmm77 HB User

Alan,

Thank you so much for your adise and help. I will talk with him about it and possibly go to a pain management center

Old 06-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
(male)

Fibbles HB User

I was given the choice of trying Oxycontin after my Fentanyl patch experiment didn't do so well: my skin is too oily and the patch won't stick for the full 3 days. We tried other bandages and sticking methods, but they didn't work so well.

I chose to skip OC because of my very high tolerance to Percocet already - most doctors "threw" it at me when I had a problem, so I also wanted to try something else.

I found Morphine (called Avinza in a 12 to 24 hour formulation), but I do still take Percocet for BT.

Most of the people that are all over the news in reports of Oxycontin addiction are not chronic pain patients or legitimate users. Recently my local news outlet had a story about OC being highly sought after by teenagers as a "party pill" and other things. The other part about addicts is that they don't bother taking the med like it is prescribed (or supposed to be taken) - [REMOVED]

You can become addicted, but like Wolf said, it usually comes after chasing the high and getting that high is all you care about. Using it to relieve pain is not being addicted.

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-25-2006 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Please abide by the posting rules and do not "explain" how medication is abused.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

Another thing that the public fail to notice is that those who od on OxyContin or other opiates have mixed it will an illegal drug. The headline will read "Another OxyContin death" when it should read "Man killed by mixing cocaine, alcohol, and OxyContin"

Alan

Closed Thread