It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User
question about meds

I posted this about a weeks and a half ago and only got 1 reply so i was hoping others could give me some advice.I have to go to the dr tommorrow

When i went to my last appt my dr increase my dose of norcos from 6 a day to 8 a day.The problem is that i have to pay cash to this dr because i couldn't find another pain dr that took the medical card. But i still got my meds covered but when i got the increase they wouldn't pay because i had to get a appoval from insr and since my dr didn't take that insr he couldn't do this. So, i either have to pay for my norcos which are $131 dollars or ask him to change another med or write for 6 a day and ask him to write a different med for the other 2 i have to take a day.I always get scared to ask my dr for any change in meds because he is a new dr i want to earn his trust so what should i do guys ?I need advice thanks in advance .kelsey

Old 06-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User
Re: question about meds

I'd explain about the money and ask him for his suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User

Hi Kelsey:
Did you have to get approval from the ins to get the 6 pill/daily covered?
If so, how did you get that approved if the doc doesn't take the medical plan you have?
If you didn't need approval, then why can't the doc write a brand new script and just give the directions for 2 pills every 4 hours which would total 12, so I would think they would definitely pay for 8 a day.
Good luck

Old 06-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi Kelsey: You could always ask him to write two scripts for the Norco. One reflecting taking six per day and the other for two a day. You let the insurance pay for the six a day, like they've been doing and you pay for the two a day. I assume you're taking 10/325 Hydro and are on generics? If you're for some reason taking the brand get over to the generic Hydrocodone. Ask for Watson's Hydro. Much cheaper on your pocketbook.

The other suggestion would be to make the jump to Methadone. Probably about the cheapest pain med on the market. Due to an unplanned trip for my wife to get medical treatment I had to get an early script from my Doc on my Methadone. I would have had to pay for it as it was too early for the insurance to pay. I get #540, 10 mg Meth Tabs a month and the cash price was $102.00. I ended up not going out of town, so I waited until the normal time to refill and the insurance company paid as always. I just wanted to relate what the cost of Meth is when you have to pay cash.

Good luck and let me know if nothing will fly with your doctor.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi all,
thanks for replys .I went to the dr and he said that i only had to pay the difference at most phar,which i did today and it is only $14.00 every 2 weeks (i have to get my meds every 2 weeks) So i can live with that. So my meds stayed the same.I think i will lose my insr. in about 2 months anyways because it state funded and i am not sure if i will still quailtfy for it.I hope i will .However ,even if i don't quailfy for the state medical card i sill still quailfy for another type of insr, which will pay for all of my meds but the pain meds and that will cost about 40 dollars a most now that i found a discount phar card on the intenet. I have been looking into trying to get free meds after i lose the state card. I have also been trying to see if it will be cheaper to just pay for insr .I got a qoute for 145 a month (no matter what my health is) and since i pay $75 for a dr visit , the total will be 155 for dr and meds. But if i do pay the 145 a month i still have to pay for copays which i am not sure what they are. If anyone knows aof cheaper insr please let me know. Kelsey

Closed Thread