It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
(male)

newlywed180605 HB User
Ibuprofen Side Effects

Hi. I've been taking Lamictal for epilepsy for 4 months now, after a stint of 15 years on Tegretol but I don't think it has anything to do with my reaction or whatever to Ibuprofen, as least not in the researching I have done.

Now to my point. I have had a condition called costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the cartilages that join the ribs to the sternum. It's something that comes and goes, according to my physician. But, last week I began to also have chest and shoulder pains also. Well, being 56 years old, I went to the doctor again, of course being wary of cardiac problems as we all know these kind of pains can be a prerequisite to heart problems, or whatever.

For the pain, my physician said it was just soreness associated with the condition I described above. He recommended I take two Advils three times a day for about a week. Maximum is 6 a day of the 200 mg dose that is on the bottle. Well, after taking them for 4 days now, at this maximum daily dose, the soreness and pain has subsided but yesterday morning I woke up with a painful ulcer or lesion on my tongue. No, it isn't a canker sore..I've had them before. Now, taking that much Ibuprofen a day is something I have never done before so doing so must be the culprit that has caused this. Well, the best remedy for sore mouth, as you all know, is washing out the mouth with salt water, which does work and it's already healing the white, sore spot.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience. I'm going to my physician next month for a regular checkup and, of course, I'm going to bring it up with him. Until then, very curious if I'm experiencing something that is a common or rare side effect of ibuprofen.

Thanks......Rod the newlywed (though nearly a year now)

Last edited by newlywed180605; 06-09-2006 at 06:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Re: Ibuprofen Side Effects

I do know that too much ibuprophen can cause ulcers of the stomach and tons of stomach pains, never heard of them on your tounge before?!

Just a thought lol

Old 06-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Ibuprofen Side Effects

i have never heard of that type of reaction either.but i just had a suggestion since advil can be very hard on your stomach and it tends to also thin your blood.try swithching to naprosyn sodium(aleeve?) you take two in themorning and two at night.it works pretty well and is in my opinion,far superior to advil in many ways.just a thought.at least you can try it if the advil is giving you alot of problems.its just a bit easier on the old GI tract.if that lesion on your toungue is at all painful,besides the saltwater thing you are doing(whcih by the way is probably the best thing for any type of mouth sores)try putting a bit of anbesol on it a few times thru out the day.

hope things will get better for you soon,Marcia

Closed Thread