It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User
Sacrolliac Joint Injections

I have had back problems for several years and the doc I was going to lost his license due to his own back problems and pain med addiction. Anyway I had to go to a pain management doc this time and he is suggesting these joint injections. Has anyone on here had them done? I have had the first one with no relief at all and have to get them every two weeks for two more times. Two years ago I had Radiofrequency Ablation done and it worked for two years but this guy says I don't need that done. I am doubting that but we will see.
I am not sure what else I can have done at this point. I have four levels at the lumbar and am starting to have neck pain now. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User
Re: Sacrolliac Joint Injections

Hey Mary,

I've had the sac joint injections and got about the same relief as you. Not to say that they are not effective, because some people get great relief from them. But its really like any other steroid injection. Some people benefit, and some people do not.

I have had several fusions and redo's along with just about every injection possible. Out of all the injections, the sac joint injection probably was the least painful and quickest due to the location. Although I did not get much relief from it, but doc suggested it and I usually go with his suggestions. He wasn't a 100% confident that it would work anyway. I guess its just a way of the process of elimination....

Sorry to hear about all the back problems. I can relate. Hope the injections work for you.

Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Mary Anne - I had the sacral joint injections a few years back to see if the pain I was feeling was indeed coming from my sacral joints. My doc injected numbing medication as well as steroids into the joint(s) and I had almost immediate relief. The relief only lasted a very few hours, but it was diagnostic by itself and told my doc that my sacral joints were the source of all my pain. My joints were moving a great deal because they had taken over some of the movement that my spine would usually do. I had a large portion of my back fused and for some reason my sacral joints tried to make up for my back's inability to move and turn. Doc said that our sacral joints aren't designed to move like that and for me it caused tremendous pain. So the answer for me was to have them fused and, sure enough, it did the trick! The pain stopped and I continue to have relief. I know that some folks get more permanent relief from the injections. But mine were only being used as a diagnostic tool. Good luck - hope it works out for you! I know how painful it can be - KathyMac

Old 06-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
(male)

murfisto HB User

MaryAnne, i went thru the same series of injections as a diagnostic tool, to determine if i had herniated a disk or had a strain or sprain. if there is no benefit from the first injection, the likelyhood of the 2nd injection is drastically reduced and if the 2nd doesn't help, most docs simply will not do the 3rd and the next stop is probably a visit to an orthopaedic surgeon. that's what i did more than 11 years ago. since then, my spine has degenerated more and more, my Dx was DDD (degenerative disk disease) in my lumbar and cervical spine with all kinds of other problems associated with severe arthritis of the spine. a tough disease to manage as it always is accompanied with lots of pain. my pain managers are still actively trying to find a long-term answer.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

Murf
so how do you manage the pain? The second shot seemed to help with the pain that was coming around my hips to the front, but the disc pain is very much still there, so I am sure I will end up with the third shot and after that I don't know.

Thanks to all for your input, as always it has helped.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyMac
Hi Mary Anne - I had the sacral joint injections a few years back to see if the pain I was feeling was indeed coming from my sacral joints. My doc injected numbing medication as well as steroids into the joint(s) and I had almost immediate relief. The relief only lasted a very few hours, but it was diagnostic by itself and told my doc that my sacral joints were the source of all my pain. My joints were moving a great deal because they had taken over some of the movement that my spine would usually do. I had a large portion of my back fused and for some reason my sacral joints tried to make up for my back's inability to move and turn. Doc said that our sacral joints aren't designed to move like that and for me it caused tremendous pain. So the answer for me was to have them fused and, sure enough, it did the trick! The pain stopped and I continue to have relief. I know that some folks get more permanent relief from the injections. But mine were only being used as a diagnostic tool. Good luck - hope it works out for you! I know how painful it can be - KathyMac
So how much can you move with all those fusions?

Old 06-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Mary Anne - Amazingly - I can move more than you would think! I wondered about that before my surgery - but I can twist at the waist a little bit, I can bend over and touch my toes. I can't bend back at all though. The most restricted movement for me is standing up straight. I don't know if that's a muscle problem or a fusion problem, but if I want to stand up straight, I have to bend my knees. Otherwise, I'm leaning forward. I'm still on crutches . And now that I'm having some major left hip pain, I've given in and I'm using my wheelchair quite a bit this week. KathyMac

Old 06-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Mary Anne9998 HB User

I wish you luck! You said you couldn't bend backwards at all, so what happens if you are try, is it painful?

Closed Thread