It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
Lightbulb Lyrica for pain (nerve) flair ups only!

Hi, I take Topamax, Ultram, Oxy, Klonopin and Amitriptyline on a regular basis to treat my chronic nerve pain and I added in Lyrica during a really bad flair up 4 weeks back and it really helped, so my PM doc said to stay on it. Unfortunately as like when I last used it, the weight gain was rapid and in those 4 weeks I gained 8lbs (180lbs normally.) So I asked my doctor if I could come off it especially as I was feeling better and I enquired if I could use it for shorter spells, (up to a week) in stead of looking to increase the Oxy or Klonopin. He said that several of his nerve pain patients are actual doing this, coming in straight at the 300mg dose and using only for a few days and then tapering straight off. He said that there's been much success with this type of use.

So I'm all for trying this type of therapy, if neeeded. Has anyone else been using Lyrica like this yet?

Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Lyrica for pain (nerve) flair ups only!

now that really sounds a bit odd to me since that dose normally needs to be tapered onto and off of.i am starting at 50mgs for three days then adding a pill every three days til i hit that point where i can get some good relief,but not to go over the 300mg max dose per day.i would think that by doing this so quickly both on and off that you would run the risk of siezure since this IS an anti siezure med.

considering how hard it hit me the very first and second time i took it at only 50mgs well i cannot even imagine going right straight to that much per day.plus with this being such a brand new med,who the heck really knows just what this could possibly do to you in the long run,ya know?I really am rather suprised that given the fact that there isn't any real long term info to go on,that he would take this type of risk with his patients.just my opinion but it really doesn't sound like a really great idea to me.

I would be very very careful if you decide to actually do this.good luck blaster,marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 06-13-2006 at 07:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

It's been used here in the UK for some time, over a year I think or nearly a year at least. Anyhows, I tolerate it real well and the doc said that so long as I didn't have any business meetings etc that or the next day this was a suggested therapy that some are finding successful. I've found that I can at least take 150 without taper no problem. He was more in favour of 150 twice a day, but said 300 for acute pain was worth trying. As I'm keen to aviod extra Oxy, I'll give it a try.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
(female)

countrykid HB User

I completely agree with Feelbad....
My husband has been taking Lyrica for his DN...started 50mg 2x for 30 days then 75 2x now till he see the NS on Monday. I can't imagine what 300mg at once would do to you....It would knock my husband out....he had enough trouble adjusting to the side effects in the beginning that's why it's recommended to be given in a gradual increase in dosage....
If you decide to do that I'd have someone around for a while to watch for side effects. Actually I believe in that for any new meds. You never can tell what a new med will do to you. Too many side effects any more with drugs.....

Old 06-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've had two spells on Lyrica before, one 2 month spell and a recent 4 week spell; so I'm not new to the personal side effects of this drug (of which I find hardly any.) Anyway this is a practice that is been used in the UK, for people who find they have a good tolerance to Lyrica, of cource it doesn't suite people who are sensitive to this drug.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
(female)

countrykid HB User

I guess with all the other meds you are taking the side effects aren't that noticable for you...You have probably built your body up to accept stronger doses of meds.
They do alot of different procedures in the UK than what the US Dr will do.
But as I said it would not be something my husband's dr would prescribe.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would just be really careful about doing this blaster really.there really just isn't alot of info(long term) to really know just how this could affect you in the long run.ya know?one year realistically is not long enough to really know just what the overall effects would possibly be on your body and most espescially the brain with this practice,and over the long haul.geez look how long the vioxx and other meds that they are just now seeing the real affects of on patients who were taking this crap for many many years.you just never klnow with any med we take what the long term effects will be.but I guess if your doc is willing to take this responsibility on,well,who knows.

just be very careful in doing this.i would really make sure that you let those people who are normally arond you know about it when you are actually going to take that 'all at one time dose thing" just so they will be aware of it and can act appropriately should you start to suddenly have a siezure or something.the thought of doing that just really does give me the willies blaster.I hope this goes well for ya.Marcia

Old 06-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I appreaciate the concern; I think I should be especially cautious with me been on Topamax aswell; quite a mix I suppose!

I just want to find a working therapy away from opiates and the Lyrica works, but I can't accept the weight gain that hits me after about 2 weeks use, this is another reason I'm keen to try this. I'll discuss this with my wife if I feel that I need to dose up on the high level though, makes sense.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User

Hi Blasteroy - interesting. I already know that most meds that affect the rest of us don't phase you but I did think of something that might explain why you can come off it suddenly and immediately with no apparent problem (I am stretching a little here). Topamax and Lyrica I believe are the same class of drug and work on the same (general) brain receptors - although each one dose work differenly. Maybe because you are on the topamax (and a very high dose comparatively to other pain patients if I remember right) you body doesn't really miss the lyrica since the topamax is still there doing it's job on your gaba receptors. Anyway - nice to hear from you!

Old 06-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi DogMom, it's not just me using this type of treatment; my PM said he's got several patients who are coming straight onto Lyrica at 300mg for B/T or for using for a few days only and then dropping for flair ups. It's his advice.

It had bad breakthrough yesterday and instead of taking extra Klonopin or Oxy I took 300mg of Lyrica and it really helped. I felt a little dizzy, but the relief came within 30 to 60 min and lasted nicely. I'm back on my normal doses today and not feeling any withdrawal/side effects (so far.)

I hope this continues to be a good alternate therapy for me. I'll add to this thread if any issues occur.

Closed Thread