It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
(male)

cajunboy HB User
Thanks...Shoreline, Director, others

Dave, Director and others who provided input,

After getting your input a couple of months or so ago, I followed all of your advice to the "t" in regards to the change over from compounded hydrocodone (40 mg tid) to methadone recently. It all worked out just as you all said. The 30 mg meth switchover was fairly easy; the pain control is much more consistent and I am no longer "clock watching". No need for BT meds and no new side effects, not even drowsiness (I realize it is a relatively low dosage). With the long half life of the meth. I don't have to worry about taking each dose at the exact specified times each day.

Additionally, as recommended, I had my pharmacy use the Roxanne generic instead of the other "junk" provider. Costs for a months supply is about $12 versus $150 for the compounded hydro plus $30 for the BT meds. A great savings there.

It has been about a month on the meth and I only wish I had made the change sooner. I can't thank all of you enough for your wise words of guidance and support. I find the meth is much more effective, and provides consistent pain relief.

It was with your encouragement that I decided to make the change. All this is evidence of how beneficial these boards are; but of course, they would be nothing without the caring and willingness of the members to share their knowledge and experience with others.....WHAT A BLESSING!

Thanks again to Dave, Director and the others who are willing to share their time and expertise.

randal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Thanks...Shoreline, Director, others

Hey Randal: Glad we were able to help you get on a better and more pain controlling medication. It's great you were able to go from 120 mg of Hydro plus BT meds to 30 mg of Methadone. Did you pharmacy have the Roxanne Meth in stock or did they have to order it in for you? Either way, it was a good move on your part for telling them you wanted the "good stuff"!

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing on the Meth. Also, without BT meds, if you're like me, it's nice to know you don't have to juggle the meds to make sure you have enough to cover the month (or however long you refill time is) and have enough meds in case you need them.

I don't remember if I told you or not, but I'm at 180 mg a day and I haven't had to have an increase in over three years. That's another nice part of this medication.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
(male)

cajunboy HB User
Re: Thanks...Shoreline, Director, others

Director,

Fortunately, with your suggestion, I made sure the pharmacy I was going to use (which is located next door to the doctor's office) carried the Roxanne generic in stock. This way I didn't have to go through too much hassle with the pharmacist. Of course, they didn't understand why I wanted a specific generic, but I asked that it always be refilled with Roxanne. Your earlier suggestion helped me to be better prepared for this issue.

You are also correct concerning the B/T med....I no longer have to keep a day-to-day count to ensure that I had enough for the remainder of the month.

Regarding not having to increase, my doc said the same thing....that he rarely has seen where he has had to increase the dosage of meth which I am hoping holds true for me as well.

Again, thanks for all your help.

randal

Closed Thread