I was on Avinza for about 5 months. I started on a 24hr sched but found that for me it only lasted 12 hours before I started needing a lot of BT meds. So my doc switched me to a 12 hr sched. I was on 120mg every 12hr, which seemed like a high dose for me, as I had been on 120mg total daily mg of MS Contin prior to that. However, once we made that switch I found the pain coverage to be better than any other LA I had tried.
Some pros and cons that I noticed -
- pain coverage - found this to be smooth and didn't have a lot of peaks and valleys
- it has a small amount of short acting med (I believe it's fetanyl?) which I found great because I find it's when I am ready to take my next dose that my pain is starting to peak. This helped get me through till the new pill kicked in.
- cost - no generic and $$ so I paid max co-pay
- I find any type of morphine LA med depresses my mood more than others e.g. oxycontin, but that may be just personal
- dose I needed - while I know that dose doesn't matter as much as getting the right coverage for your pain, the dose I needed still bothered me. But I have battled with this attitude problem for a while so this is definitely me not the Avinza!
- I find morphine to be more constipating than other LA meds, so definitely be pro-active there!
Hope this helps. Good luck...hope the med works great for you.