It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
(male)

shakorox HB User
Exclamation New to Avinza, what should I expect?

Hello,
I've been posting on here recently and already wrote my history and where I was with my new pain clininc. If you've read my previous posts you know about the head doctor consults I had to endure before I could get into the drug managmetn program. Well I passed with flying colors, he said I have very low abuse potential but do suffer some depression secondary to the pain.

So today I went back to the PM doc and he gave me an ESI, I don't notice any difference, I'm sure it will take a few days. I did hand over all pills that I had stock pilled at home, I was shocked at all the different vicodens, oxycondones, darvocets, etc... I had in stock. The doc thanked me fro bringing everything in. I think I boosted the trust factor which is a big pluss.

Any way I was taking two 5mg ocycodone's every six hours and what a rollercoaster that was. the doc switched me to Avinza 60mg once a day and allowed me 2 norco daily for BT. He wrote me for a months worth but I go bck in 2 weeks for a pill count and to see if the dose needs adjusting.

To any of you who have been on a similar regimine what should I ecpect. I understand its a morphine type drug and I've never had anything like that. Is there anything I shoudl be aware of? How long does it take to work? Should I start the senekot right away? I'd really apreciate any input. Thanks for helping me out.

-Derek-

Old 06-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User
Re: New to Avinza, what should I expect?

Hello,
I was on Avinza for about 5 months. I started on a 24hr sched but found that for me it only lasted 12 hours before I started needing a lot of BT meds. So my doc switched me to a 12 hr sched. I was on 120mg every 12hr, which seemed like a high dose for me, as I had been on 120mg total daily mg of MS Contin prior to that. However, once we made that switch I found the pain coverage to be better than any other LA I had tried.

Some pros and cons that I noticed -
Pros:
- pain coverage - found this to be smooth and didn't have a lot of peaks and valleys
- it has a small amount of short acting med (I believe it's fetanyl?) which I found great because I find it's when I am ready to take my next dose that my pain is starting to peak. This helped get me through till the new pill kicked in.

Cons:
- cost - no generic and $$ so I paid max co-pay
- I find any type of morphine LA med depresses my mood more than others e.g. oxycontin, but that may be just personal
- dose I needed - while I know that dose doesn't matter as much as getting the right coverage for your pain, the dose I needed still bothered me. But I have battled with this attitude problem for a while so this is definitely me not the Avinza!
- I find morphine to be more constipating than other LA meds, so definitely be pro-active there!

Hope this helps. Good luck...hope the med works great for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Quote:
- it has a small amount of short acting med (I believe it's fetanyl?)
False. If it is true, I've definitely NEVER heard this before?

I'm on Avinza, 30mg once a day, and I've had a pretty good experience so far. I don't take any break-through. I wasn't opiate-tolerant, so this is a starting dose.. and I don't think I'll be asking for an increase any time soon.

I would say that the nausea for me was probably the worst. I take fibercon with it, and that has really helped.

Like the other poster said, I find that this med kind of depresses me a little. Im going to ask for a different anti-depressant at my next appointment because this one isn't cutting it.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User

Hi Bulletinboard 25,

I got that info on the short acting component of Avinza from my old pain doc, but have to admit I have not seen any literature confirming it. Also since posting have read another post that says Avinza releases some of it's morphine early and that's what gives the early relief, so I'm not sure what's correct? Maybe I'll try doing some research, or maybe others here have thoughts?

In meanwhile, please take anything I said about Avinza as personal experience only

Old 06-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
(male)

Monty44 HB User

Avinza has an immediate release and an extended release of the same compound , morphine sulfate.

As stated on the makers website:
"AVINZA uses the proprietary SODAS® (Spheroidal Oral Drug Absorption System) technology to produce the extended release component of AVINZA,
which combined with an immediate release component achieves the desired release profile characteristics of AVINZA capsules...."

The only side affect I experience is constipation. Otherwise, it works great.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:28 AM   #6
(male)

shakorox HB User

So far so good, I heard it takes a couple days and builds up in your system. Hence you maintain higher plasma levels after a week or so. Is this true or am I making stuff up? I started with senekot one a day, and I'll see how that goes, I might have to take something less potent if I'm going to the Lav too much. Otherwise, when I akwoke today my mouth is so dry, so I'm gonna keep chuging the water.

Thanks for you assistance,
-Derek-

Old 06-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
(male)

cw4vettes HB User

I was swithced from 3-4 NORCO/day to AVINZA 60 mg/day. It was a change for the better,It helped to lesson the pain. The main problem with Avinza for me are the hot flashes and constipation. But other than that...all is good

Closed Thread