It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

marksta HB User
Ever had pharmacy short you?

I get 120 pills monthly.I was wondering what the chances are of the pharmacy not counting correctly?I would hate to run out before the end of the month.I was just wondering if this has ever happened to any of you.
Bev

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Ever had pharmacy short you?

Hi Bev. I think I can safely say that anybody who has been a chronic pain patient long enough has probably been shorted pain meds sometime in their "career" as a pharmacy customer. Sometimes it's uninentional, sometimes it's on purpose....sometimes pharmacies have machines that count the pills - but machines don't always count perfectly. The best advice that I was given was to sit down somewhere in the pharmacy (usually they provide a waiting area with chairs) and try to discreetly count your pills to make sure they are all there. Now, if you have a script for 500 oxycodone or methadone, that gets a little hairy. And depending on the neighborhood where the pharmacy is located, you might not feel safe with all your narcotics poured out in your lap as you count each pill. Many pharmacies, however, will not want to listen to your story of being shorted pills if you leave the premises, go home, and then call later to tell them you are missing 15 pills. But, the short answer is: yes - I've been shorted pills before. On the other hand, I've had a few prescriptions filled with TOO many pills. Maybe it all works out in the end. KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

I've been shorted before but i always count after i get home.
ill call them if count is short and they will make good on my next fill.

thats why i like to use a small mom and pop pharmacy rather then a chain.the employees are usually long term and you get to know everyone.

i once had them misfill my 15mg oxycodone,they gave me 5mg by mistake but the label said 15mg
that was a fun few days and i was furious.ever since they have been very kind.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

The pharmacy were I go counts them out in front of you.Too many people were trying to scam the pharmacist so he made the customers count out the pills with him and then sign it.Funny no one seems to be missing any more pills lol.Just a story that popped into my head when I saw this post..Have a good day....Dave

P.S. That's not to say that mistakes aren't made though......Dave

Old 06-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Oh Yeah, People make mistakes and so can the pill counting machines that count based on weight of each tablet. if they aren't serviced regularly or properly calibrated and those calibrations change when a new manufacturer of a generic pill is used, they can create shortages or overages. Unfortunately class 11,IV and V meds aren't tracked down to the pill, so a shortage on
class 111 products like Norco or Vicodon is much harder to prove.

If it's a class 11, meds like percocet, OxyC, demerol,morphine, all the LA and more potent pain meds and amphetamines, They should have a running log and will be able to tell you what is in the stoor down to the pill. MY wife managed chain stoors for years and class 111 meds which would include the hydro products are estimated, if a bottle of 100 is open and half full, they estimate 50 pills at the time of inventory. They aren't required to keep a running count on any other meds aside from class 11's in my state. Other states may have tightened laws on Hydro products and track them very closely so it's worth reporting but don't be shocked if they dispute it.

Basically if they misfill a class 11, they should be able to count what they have in the stoor and if they are over the number it says in their log your shortage is varifiable, it's in their interest to correct a class 11 short fill. Getting a different drug or strength than prescribed is a missfill, something they can't dispute. The wrong pill is in the bottle.

Unfortunately addicts have been claiming the same thing at the pharmacy for years when it coms to shortages, so unless they can verify it with a count, they really don't have to do anything if you get home and find you have 90 instead of 120.

When you change from a pill that has 500 mgs of tylenol to one that has 325 mgs of tylenol like you just did, 120 pills won't be quite the same size in the bottle. I just posted on your other thread, but I would count them and see if they are correct.
Your state may require a running log on hydro products, but they aren't generally counted the way you may think.

Scotty is right. Your pharmacist is part of your healthcare team, the better you get to know them, and they realize your not going to call every month and claim to be short or claim plain aspirin was put in your bottle instead of OxyContin, things will likely go smoother. They are a little more prone to correct the problem if you haven't already claimed t o have been shorted 7 times in the last year. If you treat them like they have no buisness in your healthcare, they will likely scrutinize every script and treat you crappy. Then again, some people are like that to everyone. Find a good pharmy and stick with them and try to develop some type of working relationship with them. It can make a big difference.
Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 06-15-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

I use a small chain that I am very happy with. Never questioned a script and they now know me after so many years.

Before I used them, I did use the national chain that has a stock symbol of WAG.

One time, I had just had my rx titrated higher and they made the mistake of filling my L/A med with the number of S/A pills I was rx'ed and visa versa. So, I had too many L/A and not enough S/A.

Once home, I realized the mistake and they told me to come in. When i came in, there was this guy behind the desk who seemed to be the pharmacist in charge. Well, this bozo ranted and raved and basically yelled out loud that I had switched the meds myself, practically calling me an addict.

One of the technicians calmly checked the bottles and it confirmed the mistake.

I never got so much as an apology from that clown, but on the way out I inquired who he was. I was stunned to find out that he was just an intern.

So now we know what new pharmacists are taught in school!

Alan

Old 06-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I had that happen to me, too. It was with my Ultram, I get 240 a month and I noticed I was running out. I know how many I take a day and I usually have some left at the end of the month, so the next time, I counted (after I got home because I didn't know any better) and there were 40 (!!) missing. When I called they said they would count what they had in the store and call me back. They called back, very nasty to me, said they had the correct number of pills in the store. I said well then someone who works there took them. She said that wasn't possible. When I said that was fine, I didn't expect them to replace them, but wanted them to know something was wrong, she changed her tune a little and seemed to be wondering what might be going on in her pharmacy. so every month for the next few months I asked them to count them in front of me, and the count was right. Then a guy who had been on vacation came back ( I had always liked this person) and when he went to hand me the bag I said, I need a count, please. Then he backed up, ripping my bag open as he went, dumped them out, grabbed a bottle off the counter and dumped some out and scooped them all into my bottle without counting. I was in shock as to what I had just seen. I got home and counted and there were 11 more that there was supposed to be, but I saw him put a lot more than 11 extra in my bottle. I wrote a letter to the pharmacy manager and switched pharmacys. funny thing is I go in there for other shopping sometimes and that guy is still working there! Hes a pharmacist, not a tech. and he was alone that day, If there was even a tech there, I didn't see them. There were never any problems with my Lortabs or Oxys, just the Ultram (Tramadol) wierd, huh?! Good luck to you!~Fabby

Old 06-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

That's not weird that's downright scary and I would of reported him by calling the manager and not a letter. Letters can come up missing quite easily so there's no way of knowing if the manager or owner of the Pharmacy ever got it in the first place.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #9
(female)

expat64 HB User

Yes, I had pharmacy short me 100 30mg oxycodones once, my script was for 380 then. i noticedt he tech kept saying to the pharmacist 3 times that she had counted them multiple times, it made me leary and my gut feeling when she looked at me was not good. so, like a dummy i took them home anyway then counted them. 100 short. went back and they treated me like a liar until they audited and found only 2 bottles in the trash , each bottle has a hundred), and she gave me a smaller bottle where 380 would have not fitted, so they believed me. when i came back, she had been fired.... she shorted me to take a 100 bottle probably the next day when it would've been too late. then the next month i was shorted 5x. i always count right in front of them now, who are they going to believe in a shortage a pharmacist or a pain patient? isn't that sad?

Old 06-19-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Hi! Yes i've been shorted once, were i go,they count them twice,and they don't use a pill counting machine for narcotic med. I guess its against there policy.But it happenes,there only human.I count my med. every time now.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:27 AM   #11
(female)

nowhere-child HB User

I went to pick up an RX for Ambien once, only to be told that "I" had already picked it up and signed for it the day before. They pulled the log and sure enough, "I" had signed for it. They didn't believe me that I had not picked it up.
I made them pull the logs from my previous RXs, to show the difference in the signatures. They quickly refilled it, and the pharmacist apologized profusely and said that obviously someone there had forged my sig and it would be investigated. I changed pharmacies.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi Conductor,

In Canada anything that has left the pharmacy and comes back for any reason has to be disposed of. If it was a scheduled med. here they would need proof. It isn't anything to do with the person the med. is Rx'd to - unless they figured out we all have cooties up here!! LOL

Chaz

Last edited by Chaswick; 06-19-2006 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add

Old 06-20-2006, 07:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Conductor,
i had a similar issue with fenteral patches got 45 in stead of 30 i went back to the pharmacy gave them the extras, back. They were pleased and surprised and ever since that happening i never ever had an issue with my many scripts from there. They even call now to remind me when paticular maintence drugs are timed to re fill * usualy the same guy that i returned the extra patches too *

Old 06-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #14
(female)

bionic woman HB User

Yes, I have been shorted on pain meds too many times and learned that I could request a double count by the pharmacists on duty when your script is filled and then have the count initialled on my bottle by one or both. You should ALWAYS count your pills before you leave the counter and in front of the pharmacy tech. If you're short, get the pharmacist on duty to correct your shortage before you leave - and get his/her name. Then you will have the proof needed to report the pharmacist who shorted you (via initials) and can offer the name of the one who can prove your story. Also ask for the name of their corporate pharmacist or sr. pharmacist, etc., and find out how to report the problem and provide dates and names. I wouldn't make a big deal out of one missing pill the first time. My experience was 4-5 EVERY time and I had to stop it. Found out one of the pharmacists was addicted to hydrocodone. Hope this helps. bionic woman

Last edited by bionic woman; 06-20-2006 at 07:39 AM.

Closed Thread