It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

JeanneO HB User
New PM Doc

I had my first appt with my new PM Dr today. He was great...very nice and easy going. He's in a small office, he's a psychiatrist. He'll be handling my meds and I'm seeing another PM next month that will handle my treatment options.

He's starting me on 25 mcg of Fentanyl every 3 days and keeping me on the hydro until we can get my dosing settled with the Fentanyl as well as Baclofen for the muscle spasms and tightness. As with all new meds I'm a little nervous (I'm so wary of side effects) but am excited to have a LA med instead of all the SA that I've been taking. And I'm eliminating several meds that just don't seem to be helping anyway.

He's also referring me to a rheumatologist because of my autoimmune issues. He wants to see I can get some sort of systemic med rather than the topical injections I've gone through.

Any helpful suggestions on the patch would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JeanneO

Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: New PM Doc

There are the patches you can get to wear over them after a certain amount of time if you call the manufacturer. They make a certain tape; I think you have 2 wait at least 2 weeks before they will send you any so they know you tried to keep them on with other methods.

Make sure the area is cleaned. I liked putting them on my upper arm the best.

I'm sure everyone is different, but that's where it seemed to be the least in the way.

Don't get in any hottubs or take long baths in super hot water!

I might even get some of that Johnson and Johnson tape that you usually wrap an ankle in or you cover guaze with to put on the corners of it. You'll see that showering and stuff really makes it come off sooner than the 72 hours. It's good to put them on with that stuff.

Hmmm, I don't know what else to say right now; I'm tired- it was a long day!

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 06-15-2006 at 09:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

JeanneO HB User
Re: New PM Doc

Hi Bulletin...Thanks for the response!!

So far no noticable change but I know this is a low dose. I'm not sure how it matches up to the Hydrocodone 10/325 I've been taking and still am taking....anywhere from 80 mg to 100mg daily. He did say that I'd have to keep taking these until I get my dose up on the Fentanyl. I go back to see him on the 6th of July, so I guess until then I just keep doing what I'm doing.

The Baclofen definatley makes me sleepy so I'm only taking 1/2 during the day and 1 whole at bedtime, it helps with my sleep.

Does the fentanyl actually build up in your system? Today was day 3 so I changed my patch.

I have had a strange numbness in my right thumb, and 2 fingers the last 2 mornings when I woke up, not sure if I slept wrong because it went away within 5 minutes of waking up. But it did seem strange that it happened 2 days in a row. My symptoms of my disc herniation were all on my left side prior to my surgery.

JeanneO

Closed Thread