It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #1
(female)

milimoki HB User
More questions,Please forgive me

Hello, my cookies. I have a few question's. I have severe kidney stones, tmj,endometriosis,
severe cyts and all kinds of other stuff. My main pain source is the stones and kidney problems I have, that give me constant pain. Anyway Just saw my first PM Dr. . He was wonderful, yada yada yada. He gave me methadone( my first time on this med) and Oxycodone for BT pain. He told me on second visit might as well take both med's three times a day. Question is why BT med's? Why two differnt kinds of med's? Why not just take 2 pills of same brand 3 times a day? I realy am not sure why I have a BT med. Is it not good to take the same med twice, and thats why you have a second brand for BT? I told him the tmj and endometriosis, cysts and other female problems I have that I could handle, for I am having a hysterectomy in 3 months. I cant wait for that, it will take care of alot of pain and emotional issues I have. Anyway why not the same med when your pain comes back, why a BT seperate brand? I was syptom free from the med's until a few nights ago, but I find I cant sleep on these med's, I sleep for 30 min then wake right up. But I am very very sleepy. Is this normal? If so what over the counter med can I take or is it not even good to take something. Maybe PM Dr.'s perscribe sleep med's? Why do Dr.'s not want to give that type of med anyway? They say it's addictive, BUT what in the world do people get addicted to in sleep aids? It doesnt make you stoned, and it just makes you sleepy. Do people get addicted to sleeping??? I never understood that addiction. Anyway hope all these questions make sense. Oh yeah what is LA meds and SA meds stand for that I keep seeing people say Thanks for any answers's, hope I dont sound to silly, with my silly questions, I am a natural blonde so you will have to forgive me... ..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
(female)

JeanneO HB User
Re: More questions,Please forgive me

Keep asking the questions...sometimes I come here and someone else has asked the same questions I was going to ask

The only answer I have to your questions is that SA stands for Short Acting (lasts 4-6 hrs) and LA Long Acting (varies in length that they last).

Someone else with more experience will come along and answer your other questions soon I'm sure.

JeanneO

Old 06-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Mil,

It is very common as a pain patient to receive two pain meds. Usually you will have one for LA and one SA. In your case, Methadone which is considered and LA med due to its half life, and then oxycodone for BT pain.

Basically people with chronic pain need around the clock pain relief. Hence the "chronic" part. So a doc may prescribe an LA med like Methadone, Kadian, OxyContin, etc. These meds are either time-released by the way they are manufactured, or have a long half-life in the case of Methadone.

However, many people with chronic pain will have spikes in their pain and this is when you may require a BT med. Some people have spikes daily and others weekly etc. It depends on you and your specific injuries/conditions.

BT meds should really only be used for just that. Really your LA med is what should be providing most of your relief. When you have BT pain, then you use your BT meds. If you find that you are using the same amount of BT meds each day then there are a couple of things or questions to ask your doc. One is that your LA med is probably not high enough if you are using a lot of BT meds. And the other thing is, with BT meds, if you are taking the same amount everyday, then they become part of your daily intake of meds. So when you have BT pain, you will require even more to get relief.

When you are prescribed BT meds, the doc will usually write either a daily dose, maybe 3-6 per day or PRN (as needed). But just because you are prescribed 6 daily, usually doesn't mean that you have to take 6 a day with BT meds. Of course check with your doc, but most docs would prefer that your BT meds intake is limited, so that they will work for you in the future for BT pain.

As far as the drowsiness, that is from the Methadone. It is one of the side effects to Meth and probably one of the most frequent complaints. I don't take Methadone, but there are many on this board that could give their personal experiences with it I'm sure, and how they have handled that issue.

And finally, another reason two different pain meds are used is for better coverage of pain. Without getting to confusing, opiates and the different families bind to different receptors. These receptors basically due different things as far as pain, relaxation, sedation, etc are concerned. So by using different opiates, your pain will be covered better. Thats the short version anyway.

I would talk with your doc about the BT meds. Most docs don't have a problem if you want to decrease something as long as you speak with them first. I will tell you that Methadone is not something to self medicate or change in anyway. Be sure to always contact your doc about any changes in that med before making it. Its not like other meds or BT meds that can change or are given as an "as needed" drug. Its very important to follow the instructions of that med.

Hope you start feeling better soon. Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much....

Take Care

Last edited by ARANGER; 06-19-2006 at 08:40 AM.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

It isn't so much an addiction to the sleep medications as it is the phsyical dependancy. After time you may find you will not be able to sleep at all without sleeping medications which is why some doctors are not willing to prescribe them.

I had a similar problem with the methadone that you did. At first no side effects and then about two or so weeks later I was sleepy all the time but oddly could only sleep in small spurts. Those spurts ended up lasting to about 18 hours a day. I am on sleep medication and it actually made the situation worse at one point where I would sleep for 12 hours non stop and then wake up and still be tired and want to sleep for short periods at a time. I was a zombie and couldn't even drive for fear I'd nod off without notice. The side effects increased over time so badly that I had to be switched from the methadone back to morphine. It's pretty common for those who take Methadone. It's one of the medications that works great when it works for you but if it doesn't you become a zombie regardless of how much sleep you do or don't get.

You can talk to your doctor about giving you something for sleep, most do opt for anti-depressants because they are actually much effective as a sleeping aid than most sleep medications themselves.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

One thing about Oxycodone. For some people, myself included, it actually is more stimulating than other opiates. For example, my long acting med has just been switched back from Kadian to 100 mcg DURAGESIC patch. Now, the patch (and the Kadian) both make mae a little drowsy. But the Oxycodone more than makes up for that. I can get by with only 3-4 hours of sleep with no problems.

Don't assume that you are going to be sedated. If you are one of those who get energy from the Oxycodone, you might find yourself with more energy than you expected.

Alan

Old 06-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
(female)

milimoki HB User

So which is actualy stronger? The meth or the oxycodone? I know med's have different effects from person to person but, which of the two is stronger? The oxy makes me sick to my tummy but the meth doesnt. I am pretty impressed with the meth to be honest. It for sure lasts longer. The meth is 5mg and the oxy pill is 15. I took a drug called dilaudid(spelling?) once and the meth seems to be alot like the dilaudid. Is the meth stronger than dilaudid?. I know its difficult to compare but I would like some what of a comparison please. Thanks so much for responses

Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
(female)

milimoki HB User

Also last question for now I promise. Last year I had a 8ml lodged kidney stone go way way bad. I had a severe infection, the kidney kept blocking up, the stents kept going bad, yada yada yada. I was even in the hospital for a week. I had 2 surgeries. I was realy in horrible pain for 6 whole weeks. All I did was cry and even thought to myself that if I had to live in pain like that for a long time that I would kill myself. The pain was that bad. Anyway I was on morpheine patches, and dilaudid pills (spelling?) I was told to take 6-8 a day.I also had very strong meds in the hospital for 7 days every 2 hours through an IV. On a very few occasions I would take a couple more than I was perscribed. At the time I realy didnt care, I was desperate. After 6 weeks of this, the infection went away, the stents came out everything was normal. I took off the patch and took my left over pills and put them away. I never had any WD symptoms people have been talking about on here. I felt 100 % normal. Was this because I was only on the med's for 6 weeks? Or maybe the patch and 8 - 10 pills a day was low? I am worried now that I will be on these med's for a long time this time and I will go through what people on here are going through. Sometimes I dont even take the whole pill I am supposed to take in fear of becoming addicted. Any answers would be great. Thanks much

Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

Last year I had my third Kidney stone. It was so painful that I was on the floor crying and screaming. Those patients waiting in the ER with me thought I was the funniest thing they had ever seen. My regular meds did not help. Finally, after hours of agony, I was given IV dilaudid and the pain went away just like that. Of course, I had to tell my PM Doc.

As far as what is stronger, Shoreline has told me that the 30 mg Roxicodone I use for bt is the strongest pill out there. But I'm not sure what the comparison was to. Methadone is a lot different than most narcotics in terms of half-life, etc.

Perhaps Dave will coe along and give us a definitive answer!

Alan

Old 06-20-2006, 03:58 AM   #9
(female)

milimoki HB User

Wolfman Alan, How is meth different than most narcotics (half life and all other detail comparrison)Thanks for that info and future info. I tend to ask alot of questions, for I like to have all details om everything. Anyway will talk to you soon, will check for replys later gator, Wynne

Old 06-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #10
(female)

milimoki HB User

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, that the oxycodone is realy starting to make me nauseas. The first two weeks I was fine ,but now I am nauseas constantly. If I wanna try something else,will the PM Dr. usualy get mad or disaprove? What would they normally replace it with.OK hope this makes sense, I am trying to write this in the bubble bath on my lap tap.

Closed Thread