It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

kjl705 HB User
Unhappy the "hope" bubble burst today!

Howdy all, I've actually posted here as acl828 in the past. (don't know how I lost my username)
Today, after 5+ months of dealing with a Physiatrist I absolutely adore, I met with one of his colleagues, a surgeon, for a second opinion on what the heck's wrong with me! Well, he basically ended the x-rays and exam with, "Well, I know of no procedure or treatment available that will help you right now. You are where you are and you'll have to learn to live with it."
Wow! Am I bummed? Heck, yeah! I feel like the little bubble of hope that I've been toting around with me for more than five years, has been burst out of the water and here I am, left with the pieces. I don't know what to do now? I'm in so much pain that I'm miserable every minute of my everyday. Five years and 15+ doctors later, I'm still in a lot of pain and see no end in sight. Why do any of us have to endure this type of thing? Why are we supposed to just suffer and put on a happy face? What happens when the fake smile falls off? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... .......

Old 06-19-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Too Sweet 74 HB User
Re: the "hope" bubble burst today!

Hi,my name is Sherri and I'm pretty new to these boards.Mostly in the Neuropathy and RSD boards. I'm so sorry that you got the answer you did. I got a similar one back in April. The nerve damage I have in my arm has no surgical fix. Opening me up would just make a bad situation worse. It's my dominant arm so I am not happy about it to put it mildly. Lost alot already. I used to do decorative painting and loved it. Now I don't know if I'll ever be able to do any of it again. I asked myself the same questions you had. I don't have the answers either. I know it is a small comfort but there are a lot of people in these boards that are here for you to talk to and are suffering right along with you. It has helped me to have people that understand. Don't let yourself be alone in what you are going thru. No doubt you being here again is a good start. I'm hoping for you that there is help out there somewhere for you. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

gosh i sure am sorry. Do you have a pain dr ? and are you on any pain meds? i hope you haven't already stated these and i just missed them. If your pain meds are not working will they try something else??? keep us posted.kelsey

Old 06-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

kjl705 HB User

Thank you Sherri and Kelsey for replying.
I'll attempt to answer. I WAS on Actiq and Combunox. Quit the Actiq, cold turkey, Monday. Not fun, but I'm not dead so that's good I guess. I'm still taking the Combunox but it's not that great. Then again, I have the tolerance of an elephant so who knows?
I had a pain doc that I adored and he was also a Physiatrist. I 1000% believed that he was going to be the one to help me. Unfortunately, the day after the visit with his jerk surgeon partner, I was thrown to the wolves. They called me and told me there was nothing more he could do for more and that he was sending me to another pain doc who specializes in chronic pain control. I was not happy about this but it was out of my control. I just despise the idea of being on pain meds the rest of my life. I'm usually as miserable ON meds as I am OFF. It's a sad existence. Sorry, fell into the "poor me's" again.
I see the new pain doc next month. Until then, I'm pretty much just taking Combunox spiradically in order to stretch the last 30 I was given. Thanks again for your responses!

Old 06-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Forgive me if I've missed it somewhere but have you tried other meds?
You say you're just as miserable on meds as off....maybe you haven't found the right med or the right dosage. Being undermedicated can be a miserable existence. How long did you take Actiq? I'm guessing that you've probably tried others since Actiq is not a 'frontline' med. Forgive me if I'm out of line.

I, too, am struggling with the idea of a lifetime of pain. Last year my pm doc kept saying that he would mention my case to every doc he talked to and at every conference he went to and would "get answers". This last visit he said (almost as an after thought) I don't know what's wrong with you and you'll probably always have this pain......WHAT???? I understand your frustration.
I would be completely lost without the people I have met here!

Hang in there. Keep venting and don't give up the search for answers.
As Agent Muldar was fond of saying, "The truth is out there."

Closed Thread