It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User
Methadone vs Methadose

My husband has been taking Methadone (among other things) for several years. After reading the discussions on this board concerning Roxanne vs Mallinkrodt, I looked to see what he was getting. Up until the last fill, it was Mallinkrodt. This last time, he was given a combination of both. So we decided to separate out the Roxanne pills and try them for a week. What should he be looking for in terms of difference? Less side effects (sleepiness, etc), more pain control, or both? He likes it already because the pills are smaller and easier to swallow. He takes 120 mg a day.
Sunny

Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Methadone vs Methadose

Hi Sunny: It's been my experience that Methadose isn't worth even having a script filled with it. I have been on Meth over three years and take 180 mg a day. Early on my pharmacy would occasionally fill my script with Methadose. I noticed over a period of several days a definite difference in pain control. Shoreline Dave, wrote in to these Boards sometime ago and he had had his Brother or Brother-In-Law, who is a chemist, I believe, run a test on the Methadose he supplied and if I remember correctly it contained a little over 8 mg of Methadone, instead of the 10 it was suppose to have. Maybe Dave will write in and help me out with this one.

I have told my pharmacy and they honor my request, that I would accept my monthly fill of 540 tabs, only if it was filled with Roxanne Methadone. No more Methadose. Some people have actually started going into withdrawal because of it.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, please let me know and I'll try to answer them again. Good luck to your Hubby.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 07-24-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User

Thank you. I talked to the pharmacist, and he said that, if I called ahead each time, he would get the Roxanne tablets for us. I imagine my husband won't see much difference for a few days, because of the half life. I do remember Shoreline posting about the discrepancey. We figured out that, if someone takes 15 tablets a day, that 2 mg difference would be 3 tablets!! That is pretty significant, considering my husband has been able to tell the difference when they were adjusting his dosage up or down by 1 a day. Thank you again.
Sunny

Old 06-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

One thing you might pass along to your husband that I have discovered. I have posted about this before, but one of the worst side effects for me is drowsiness. So driving for long periods of time is a biggie for me when it comes to staying alert. I have found that if I take only a minimal dose before leaving in the morning I can be alert. If I have to drive for several hours, I may take another one "just to get by" until we arrive at our destination. It really works, but you have to put up with the pain unfortunately, but it can't be helped. I also tend to nod off when watching TV or reading. I haven't be able to come up with a remedy for that one yet!!

Old 07-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
(male)

dorothyxoxo HB User

Here is some Information I hope you find helpful. After having the same symptoms you spoke of I phoned the manufacturer Mallickroft and this is what I found out. Methadose is basically the same as methadone with different binder all with the exception that it was made with the intent to be INJECTABLE. Regular methadone which alot of pharmacist don't realize the differance but truly although it's minimal it's at the same time significant has alot less side affects than the methadose. I know I trust me I I was sick for a day and a half on on half on a 5mg methadose when I could tolerate a 5 mg methdaone just fine. When in doubt call the manufacturer they are very helpful.

Closed Thread