It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

kelso76023 HB User
Problem with pain pills.

My wife has knee pain, and can not take Vicoden because of addiction issues. Any suggestions. Thanks, Carl

Last edited by kelso76023; 06-20-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Problem with pain pills.

Hi Kelso - Your question is a pretty broad one and complicated because of the addiction aspect. First of all, does your wife have a diagnosis? Does she have a doctor who she sees who is aware of her addiction history and is willing to treat her pain with drugs other than opiates or other narcotic meds? There are lots of anti-inflamatory medications out there as well as many pain reducing injections and blocks. I'm sure others on the board who have had knee problems will have suggestions. You might want to go to the Addictions section of HealthBoards and ask folks there what they do about pain. I wish your wife well - KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi Carl,

There are anti inflam. that can be bought OTC - at least in Canada - and that will help with the swelling which will help with the pain.

Also is she icing it properly? Lots of people try using ice but if they don't do it properly it can make things worse. For backs and necks I'm sure icing helps many, but wouldn't expect it to be a HUGE help there, but for knees, I've found ice to be the best drug out there. I made a living withmy body for years and had at least 8 procedures on my knees and except for a week or so after having my ACL fixed found anti-inf. and ice to be all that I needed. I actually found that pain meds. didn't really do that much for my pain.

Good luck//Chaz

Old 06-21-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

a real big help here would be if you could elaborate on just what "knee pain' equates to?is this from an injury type thing,or arthritis or what?

the thing is,really,the best thing for some specific types of knee pain is the anti inflammitories.they work the best on inflamation and structural/mechanical types of pain.in some cases,combining the the AIs with something like tylenol can kind of boost the effectiveness,either alternate them or even take them together for a small period of time.

there are many other options for knee pain treatment ,meds and modalities that do not in any way involve the use of any sort of narcotics.if your wife has problems(as many of us do) in taking things like advil due to the stomach irritation they can cause,there is a specific med that can be taken along with them that really helps tons in relieving that issue.i had to use it as my stomach reacts very badly to any or the anti inflammitories.wayy back when,after going thru treatment,the anti inflammitories were my only option for pain control,so I do know where your wife is coming from.

if you could actually explain just what is causing your wifes current knee pain issues it would really help alot in giving you the best advice and possible options to try and control her pain.There is also something called a TENS unit that I have to use on my knee for severe pain flair ups that just will not respond to anything but the tens.this would be a good option for her too.it works really well for me,much better than any narcotic ever could.please give a bit O info for us,K?marcia

Closed Thread