It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User
Oxymorphone?

Hydromorphone is Dilaudid, correct?

I just read in today's Wall Street Journal that a company is expecting word from the FDA about OXYMORPHONE. The general feeling is that the company is not going to get approval because someone is buying a ton of put options on the stock (a put is an option that gives the buyer the right to sell 100 shares of stock at a set price for a specified period of time).

What is Oxymorphone?

Alan

Old 06-21-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Oxymorphone?

Hey Alan, The brand product is called Numorphan and Endo makes an injectable version and a 5 mg supository. It's been on endo's product development list for several years now. There is an update at the endo site that says an extended release version has been developed with Penwest and they responded to an aproval letter sent 12/05.
Endo lists the same info about the individual development of their oral IR version.

OxyMorph falls in the same class of keto synthetics as Hydromorpone, oxycodone and hydrocodone but is supposed to be 10X more potent than morphine. I guess that makes it 10 times moe dangerous.

I can only guess why it's taken so long from the completeion of it's clinical trials. Probably the same opiate phobia fears that prevent us from having HydromorphContin. It's more potent than morphine and drug adddicts will absue it. Addicts have been shooting up Dilaudid for decades but prior to OxyC a tight rope was kept on how much Dilaudid would make it to the streets, partly by govt quota on manufacturing the bulk opiate and what was believed about PM prior to the new age of opiates. Now any opiate is as easy to find as pot.

I would assume that someone is expecting it will make it on the market and then be recalled or so tightly controlled shorting the stock is their way of making money off product failure or govt limits on production?

Basically it's just another synthetic alternative that could potentially be the strongest oral med available depending on the MG strength produced.

How ya doing these days? Any change for the better? Do you mind if I ask who they are speculating will market the Oxymorph product.
Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 06-21-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Alan,

You're right about Hydromorphone. Its dilaudid.

Oxymorphone is a pretty potent analgesic. Its a semi-synthetic opiate. It is marketed under the name NUMORPHAN. Currently I believe it is only available as an injection or suppository.

Oxymorphone has about a 1:10 ratio with Morphine. One mg of OxyMorphone is about the same as 10 mg of Morphine.

I believe it is manufactured by Endo Pharmaceuticals. Same company that makes Percocet.

Thats interesting about the stock

Old 06-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

I guess Shore and I were posting at the same time. Sorry for the repetative post

Old 06-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

Dave, what is happening is that someone who might or might not know anything, is betting big bucks that the stock of Penwest is going to drop from 16 to under 10. Sometimes you can piggyback on a situation like this and make a fortune. Sometimes, you can lose 100% of your investment on an option that goes against you. But it seems that the speculators feel that Oxymorph is going to hit some rough going.

Thanks for inquiring about me. I'm off the Kadian and back on the 100 mcg patch. It was done mostly for financial reasons as the KAdian was costing $400 per month and apparantly I do not qualify for help. I still take the 30 mg Roxicodone for bt. I have been ina lot of pain lately and I still wonder what will happen in the future.

How are you doing? You spend so much time responding to others that I think we should all sit back and let you vent every know and then

Take care my Friend!

Alan

Old 06-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Allen, I hope moving back to Duragesic helps things. For some reason your doc is much more comfy with duragesic even if It still isn't where you need to be. On paper, if he gave you that much morphine you might have gotten the chance to experience much better relief.

For some reason I'm having a tough time answering how I'm doing. I haven't ignored your kind question about how Iím doing on purpose. I'm trying to tell the truth rather than use the answer fine, which means fine given my circumstances. That's all most people pretty much want to hear. Sorry if that sounds cynical, but most people really don't want to sit down and spend a 15 minutes trying to understand a question when they were looking for a one word response. I bet you say youíre doing fine alot too.

I guess truth be told, I'm not fine. I first heard the phrase intractable pain in 93; it was hard to imagine that people had to suffer. Enough percs would make the back pain tolerable but the nerve pain just cut through it. Part of PM used to be learning to deal with that, and the psychology of it all when it changes your entire life. Anyway, I want my life back, but have run into the same brick wall I seem to hit with every effort with PT or rehab facility. I've acquired lots of tools and learned to stretch and strengthen core muscles which makes a huge difference in the amount of crunching and grinding I can control when I walk if I make it a point to keep my posture, core, and walk correctly.

So I bought an elliptical trainer back on Valentines day for both my wife and me. I figure if I went slowly I could beak through previous limitations or barriers. After 4 months, I did by 20 minutes. I can do a great cardio workout for 45 minutes with dumbbells in my hands doing hundreds of reps with light weights Iíve been stuck here but the pain of 45 minutes is tolerable now where two months ago it was a nightmare. Now I can manage the pain and function the rest of the day. But I have been stuck for 2 months here. I work out 5 -6 days a week, have tried splitting it up into 2 workouts. Things just aren't working the way I had hoped. If I exceed 50minutes I pay for it dearly and the pain is truly intractable.

I had my pump refill today and the doc knows I'm loosing wait, gaining muscle and what I'm attempting to do. He basically said that your getting all the cardio, strength, endurance, benefit you can possibly get and that I should be happy that I was able to go 45 minutes given the condition of my spine. I do feel physically better and I have muscle tone again for the first time in years. Iíve honestly given it every ounce of effort I can and people that see me doing it think Iím nuts. Unfortunately, I hit a wall every time and just canít get passed being upright for X number of minutes without things getting out of control or using the proper term, the pain becomes intractable. Where 60-90 mgs of roxi is like taking a pez.

My doc offered to increase the pump today, but I don't want to be more drugged. I guess I sound ungrateful in some strange way to those that can't get enough meds and I'm turning them down. But I can't tolerate more without more side effects and one would be loosing the motivation to exercise .I canít take amphetamines with a history of heart and BP problems. I donít expect my doc to prescribe them because I donít think a speedball is the answer to CP for the next 20-30 years.

I feel guilty if I don't exercise, Iím going to hurt whether I exercise or not, so why not actually listen to that advice that sounded crazy when it was first given. I feel guilty I have refused a possible surgical correction which I feel would teach me a whole new meaning to pain you can't imagine or control. So after 13 years of Pain management, I mentally know the answers but have a little problem with acceptance Evan then, if it appears you have accepted things, people think you like being disabled or are enjoying it somehow. I know itís like someone with cancer putting on make up to make them appear better than they are, so you put on a happy face so other people don't feel bad. Pretty dang crazy.

During these periods of intractable pain or madness I consider surgery again. I feel obliged to do something. I see the torture machine sitting there in my den and know if I don't do something there is no chance at all of things getting better and will live the rest of my life like this and I'm at the point I really can't handle much more pain. I haven't slept through the night more than twice since the surgery in 99. But my doc thinks I should be grateful considering where I am at and what I have accomplished he thinks Iím doing great given the circumstances.. But that's not good enough. I don't have the training to make a living where you don't stand or walk and something as simple as spending a couple hours in the airport prior to a fight would require a wheelchair. I'm not ready for a wheelchair, I feel like If I give in and use one I will loose the ability. Maybe I'm screwing myself somehow. I certainly don't have the answers and am just as screwed up in my own way as anyone else.

With the 30 mgs roxis, I just don't see the point in going to the ER or asking for something stronger. All a shot will do is knock me out if they give me huge amounts. I kinda doubt I'll get those amounts although I was amazed at how well they tried to manage the pain when I was having a heart attack right there on the table on my 36th Bday. They gave me 10mgs of IV morphine 3 times in 45 minutes knowing what I took everyday.. I was wide awake thinking they were basically waiting for me to die to get out the paddles and try to bring me back.

I'm getting off course, but I donít think people really appreciate what is done in the ER. Until your are in a position of not being able to get ****** and write a letter because you had to wait too long. Most people donít understand there is a triage system and nobody has died because their CP meds arenít working at the moment. Aside from giving CP patients a hard time, they actually save lives back there. When you need someone to save your life, it's the only place to be and you don't have to wait to have 6 docs all working on you at the same time.

Did I forget anything? LOL I guess I disserve a rant every now and then too if itís not clear Iím already doing it over other pet peeves.
Take care, Dave

Old 06-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

If anyone deserves a rant now and then, it is you! I'm very impressed and more than jealous with your exercise program. I had been thinking about buying one of the exercise machines, but I was worried about how my back would fare.

Yes, I've played the "fine" game too many times to count.

I think it is great that you can get so much time exercising in and then still make it through the day. The fact that you fell guilty if you don't exercise is really a very positive look at your amibition right now. I hope that one day you'll be abnle to accomplish everything that you want to. With all of the help that you have dispensed on this board, no one deserves it more than you.

I'm glad that you have a PM Doc that will at least offer to titratre upward if necessary. I think that I'm at the upper limit of my Doc's rx range. And right now, as you can imagine, as soon as the roxi wears off, the pain gets severe.

Anyway, keep it up! I'm green with envy

Wishing you as much as a pain free day as you can get.

Alan

Old 06-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Loved reading yall's responses
thank you for sharing, all of us know the "just fine" dear response.
Shoreline, if u can exercise inspite of everything very impressed. I hobbled today at frys with hubby half way through the store he made me sit down told me i turned "White as a ghost" twas about that time the hip pain was going blow me over.....
Ride home in the car massive muscle spams and that was just a Short outing....
I do understand one moment at a time ......and of course everything is fine dear

Closed Thread