It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User
Toradol - How Safe

Previous to last week I had received Toradol by once by a shot and another time by IV in the ER for migraine and both times it helped (when previously demoral did not.) I understood this drug to be an anti-inflamatory and it's not a narcotic and in my head I think of it as a super-motrin. After the second successful use of toradol from the ER for migraine I asked my GP if I could get a prescription for it in pills or if it didn't come in pills if I could give myself a shot (I know how to give shots as my husband has hep C and I gave him daily shots on and off for years for various drug trials). Anyway, my GP said no, that I had to go to the ER to get that, and I never questioned it - I never looked up information on the drug or anything. This was several years ago.

Then over the last year or so while waiting in my GPs office (a different GP since I have moved) I noticed a pen while waiting to be seen, a vendor dropping, clearly left by a pharmaceutical rep and it said toradol on it and I made a mental note that I thought that was strange, if you could only get the stuff in the ER why were the pharm reps pushing this stuff on GPs - or maybe something had changed since I had had it in the ER. Anyway, I just made a mental note of this, didn't ask as my migraines are somewhat under control with other meds and my migraines are really a non-issues compared to my other pain problems.

So, last week I had a discogram and afterwards they gave me toradol by IV and then gave me a prescription for more to take by pill, 10mgs every 6 hours for 5 days. When I got home I carefully read the literature for the toradol and it had some pretty hefty warnings about potential side effects including that in the US it could not be prescribed by pill unless you had already had it by injection and didn't have an alergic reaction which I guess could be potentially life threatening - made sense. However in Canada, I guess you can get the pill without having and injection first. The other thing it said was not to take the drug for more than 5 days - I am not sure why. It also had warnings about side effects related to the stomach and I have not experience any stomach upset or discomfort with it.

So I took the toradol as prescribed for the 5 days and I don't think it has helped much or maybe it did and I just don't know how much worse it might have been - but things have been aggravated by the discogram as I expected and have not calmed yet. I finished the toradol yesterday and as luck would have it I had a freak incident with my big toe early this am and couldn't move it much without severe pain and ended up needing to go to the ER to figure out what was wrong as I couldn't walk or move my toe at all. I told them what meds I was currently on and that I just finished the toradol and why. Althought the diagnosis of the problem with my toe was a bit of a controversy it is not related to my back problems as I can tell, the ER docs thought it was "sudden onset, severe can't walk arthritis of the big toe" (I am being sarcastic here as later I saw my regular doc and he said I tore a tendon and explained that although I might have arthritis why it was a torn tendon that was causing me enough pain that I couldn't move or touch my toe). However the ER gave me 2 more doses of toradol in the ER by IV (I got the first dose of toradol before the blood that was drawn was sent to the lab ) and it didn't seem to help and upon leaving I was given another prescription for toradol for 4 a day and enough to last for a week and told to go see my primary care today or tomorrow and not much liking the diagnosis I saw hime today.

So apparently taking it toradol more than 5 days isn't an issue under some conditions.

Anyone know what the risk is with this med? It appears it must be in the more powerful end of the spectrum of the anti-imflamatories and it has a risk of a potentially fatal alergic reaction, but barring that, is there any other reason to not take it for more than 5 days?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User
Re: Toradol - How Safe

I recently had a flare up with my lower back and recieved a shot of torodol.
it really does help bring the pain down.

I know it is a "super ani inflam" not an opiate but it helped my pain more than the morphine did.it only helped the day i got the shot.

it has been shown in studies that patients who recieved torodol needed signifgicantly less morphine then those who recieved morphine alone.

i know its got some scary warnings and side effects but as long as your not allergic or are taking lots of apap short term use is safe.

Im glad to know that when the pain gets out of control there is one more tool besides opiates to help.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
(male)

klonoklown HB User

Is Ketorolac the same thing? I know it has aspirin in it. I ask b/c I was rx'ed it about 6 months ago for unexplained back pain and arthitis in my shoulder. I ended up only taking it once since it killed my stomach. I had an ulcer so I can't handle aspirin. The reason I asked is b/c my oteoathritis (sp?) doctor rx'ed it for 30 days. Is this common or a major mistake? thanx

Old 06-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi KKlown, ketorolac tromethamine is the generic name for toradol. It doesn't contain aspirin, it's not indicated with any aspirin product or other anti-inflamatory. It clearly says it should not be used on patients with a history of gastric bleeds or active peptic ulcers. Even 5 days use could be a bad idea. If one dose caused severe pain, I would call the doc back and remind him of your stomache condition. Let them know in advance why you will showing up with a full bottle of Toradol, it's a good idea to do this becayuase unfortunately there are patients that will pick up their handful of scripts and only fill their drugs of choice or that have value on the street.

I can't believe the pharamcist didn't catch it with any stomache med history you may be on or have taken.

It is reasonably safe in the healthy population, but there is no pont in tempting fate when you fall into a very specific group of people that should not use this product orally. A shot every now in then is alot easier on the tummy. Even then, if IM use was completely safe they wouldn't have yanked the preloaded syringes off the market.
IMO it's a big no no. But I'm not your doc so I would report it to him and work it out with him.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 06-22-2006 at 01:22 PM.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User

Thanks for the information - I plan to go check out the reference you sent me to also. It all makes sense now. I always wondered why it took care of my migraines when nothing else did and I thought it was strange that it wasn't a narcotic and know understand why they aren't handing it out like candy despite it not being a narcotic (I have been given every other anti-inflamatory I think - except viox it was pretty much off the market by the time I got to orthopaedics.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
(male)

klonoklown HB User

Thanx for the info Shoreline. I have to go back to the doc b/c my back pain is flaring up.

Closed Thread