It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

jane1971 HB User
PM for Migraine and Muscle Pain??/Advice Please

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I wasn't sure if I should post this message on the Headache or on the Pain Management board?? So I'm posting on both. I have been suffering from Migraines for at least 15 years now. I also have chronic muscle pain, which some doctors call Fibromyalgia, although others disagree. There is a history of Muscular Dystrophy in my immediate family. A neuro that treated my Mother did tests on me (EEG, Muscle Biopsy,Blood Tests) and said everything was normal, but that I could still have some sort of muscle problem that is not showing up in testing yet. So anyway, I am in constant muscle pain, weakness, and fatigue. But even worse than that right now is the Migraines. They are getting worse each year, more frequent and more severe. Previously when I would have a migraine I was able to control the severity with meds. The meds did not make it go away, but would keep it from getting to the dry heaves stage. But in the last two or three months I have had to go to the ER twice. Maybe I'm just a weekling, I don't know, but when my head is about to explode, I can barely move or speak, and I am to the point of dry heaves I just can't take it and go to the ER.

Is this normal for a severe migraine, I mean to go to the ER? So far they have been real nice to me and took great care of me right away. My fear is that if this continues, they will start thinking I'm just there for drugs or a high and that certainly isn't the case.

So I am wondering, if I've been to several GP's, and several neuro's, along with reumo and physical therapy and I am still having these headaches 2 to 3 times a week (I've tried almost every preventive out there and occasionally they'll prescribe hydrocodone or Tylenol 3, but mostly I take Tramadol which now seems to be causing daily or rebound headaches) would it be wrong for me to ask for Pain Management? From what I'm reading Pain Management seems like it's a seperate entity from the GP.

I am seeing a new neuro on Friday and I want to go in there with options because I have found that if I don't know what to ask for they are usually not much help. My last neuro told me I can't live in a bubble, which I realize, so that's why I was seeing him but it seemed like after the Topamax stopped working for me he tried a couple of other things and then considered me a lost cause.

BTW, I am 35 on Friday, and married with 3 children. I'm a stay at home Mom, but I don't feel as if I'm very useful at this point. Each time I go to the doctor I have hope, only to come home defeated when they say they can't find anything in the tests and have nothing new to offer. On one hand I know I should be praising the Lord that they don't find anything wrong, but on the other I'm frustrated from the constant pain. I'm sure most of you reading this can relate. Thank you for listening!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User
Re: PM for Migraine and Muscle Pain??/Advice Please

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the tramadol is aiding in those headaches.I don't like this drug as people have been known to have seizure from it.It also effects the same opiate receptors as an opiate but it isn't classified as one and people are becoming addicted to it.This sort of pain is not going to be controlled by tramadol which has the pain killing strength as tylenol 3.You really need to see a neurologist as soon as possible.Until then you need to get some morphine or fentanyl patch to handle this pain of yours.See your doctor asap.....Dave

Old 06-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User

Hi Jane. Going to the ER for severe migraines is not abnormal. What is unfortunate is that you have to go so often because your condition is not under control although it sounds like you have been to many docs, had many tests and tried prevanative meds (like topamax).

I would say that in addition to continuing to try to find an answer to resolve this (neurologist) that going to a PM would be a normal next step, you are a chronic condition that is not under control. I too have migraines and they were chronic over the years, however that is not why I am in pain management. I do however know someone in my family who suffered severe dibilatating migraines most of his adult life and no cause could be found and no treatment worked. He eventaully got into a Pain Management clinic where he is now sucessfully treated with methadone. Please don't be scared by the stigma that is attached to that drug. Anyway, his whole life has changed for the better as a result. I don't think the path was easy or the results immediate but he is much happier now and glad he did it. You owe it to yourself to at least check out Pain Management and see what they can do for you and you have already done a host of other things, so it is not unreasonable to be at the point where you are considering to treat the synmptoms since the cause can't be corrected. Having severe migraines several times a week (whether you just stay home or go to the ER) is a really hard way to live.

Welcome to this board should you decide to look into PM. You will find a few headache sufferers here, but more importantly you will find lots of information about Pain Management and the different therapies and drugs used in this medical field as well as the common issues we all deal with and lots of support if that is what you are looking for.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
(female)

jane1971 HB User

Thank you both very much for your advice. I hope to have good results from my appt. tomorrow since I know a little more now about options. This board and the people here are great. I'm glad I found it!!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi Jane,

Like the others said, no, it isn't unusual for migraine pain to drive you to the ER. It happens to many migraineurs.

You don't mention what preventative meds. you have tried or what other forms of treatment you have had to prevent the migraines from coming other than the abortive meds. other than narcotics. Since you have gone to many Dr.'s I imagine that you have tried many things yes? More than 50?

There is a certain percentage of us that do not respond to any treatments that are out there. We come to a point that it's time to concentrate on treating the pain rather than prevent/treat 'migraines'. That doesn't mean forget everything that has helped in the past and stop trying anything new, just that we need to move forward and grab back part of our lives.

I know many migraineurs that are taking long acting meds. like methadone, the morphine preps., Fent. patches and Oxycontin. Not something to be taken lightly but if you are in constant daily pain, nothing to be afraid of if it gives you your life back.

I also know many of us, like myself, that have been Rx morphine or demerol injections IM, for use at home. Obviously not on a daily basis but for bad attacks and to keep us out of the ER. It seems morphine is RX in Canada and Demerol in the U.S. for the most part.

I've been taking it at home for roughly 7-8 years now and while I was afraid of it at the start, it has improved my life considerably.

Good luck//Chaz

Closed Thread