It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
(male)

tucker73 HB User
Methadone and Phantom Pain

My Doctor just perscribed Methadone for me to take for Phantom Pain instead of Demerol. I only take the Demerol in the very worst attacks, not every day. Has any one taken this ( Methadone ) for this or any other pain. I know this drug is taken by addicts for withdrawel. I'm afraid of a reaction when taking this.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Methadone and Phantom Pain

Hey Tucker: Methadone is an excellent pain med whether the pain is real or phantom. The only problem you face, is you have to take the Methadone on a regular basis to get the best benefits from the drug. It has a long half life and it builds on itself over a period of about five days. After taking it for that amount of time you will have the most benefit from it, where if you only take it once in awhile you will lose this benefit of the med. It's not just for addicts to withdraw with, it's an excellent med for chronic pain users.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
(male)

tucker73 HB User
Re: Methadone and Phantom Pain

DIRECTOR: Thanks for the reply. I specificity told the PM Doc that i only wanted to take it for the worst of attacks and not all the time as i hate taking any drugs at all.

The demerol works well for me during the worst attacks and i really don't want to change but for some reason it seems that all Doctors don't like to write for Demerol. I had one Doctor talk me into taking Delaudid one night during a really bad attack and i suffered terribly!!! all night long because it didn't work.

Another thing that this Doctor told me was that if the Methadone didn't work that i could take the Demerol on top of the Methadone. I think this would kill me and i have no intention of doing any such thing.

So much for Doctors...

Closed Thread