It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
(male)

len.b HB User
switching 'codien contin' to 'Oxycontin' i need help

HI ,can anyone help me out ,trying to manage chronic pain 2 herniated disc ,thoracic area,accident was at work 20yrs ago!
in the last ten years i was taking 1600 mgs of codien contin ,200 mgs pills 8 x a day!
Me and doctor are trying different pain killers to control the pain better as I dont get the relief anymore ,
I am trying oxycontin for BP ,and oxycodone for long acting pain killer
here is my problem what dose of oxycodone or how many milligrams would be equivalent to 1600 mgs of slow realeased codiene contin?
to me the dose i am on barely touches the pain,
Just want to live a normal life as much as possible

Please any info or websites to help me understand the amount that i would convert to?
Just tring to get info for me and my doctor for perhaps a better life
or if someone went threw this any advice
Please any help

Quick response would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User
Re: switching 'codien contin' to 'Oxycontin' i need help

Hi Len,

I'm not familiar with codeine contin, but the conversion from codeine to oxycodone is about 10 to 1.

So 1600mgs. codeine would convert to 160mgs. oxycodone.

Others should be along shortly to help//Chaz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
(male)

len.b HB User

the codien contin is pure with nothing else in the pill,its a 200 milligram red pill says ""cc"" and other side says 200 its a shape of a capsule long and round

thank you everyone,as i need as much info to take to my doc so i can have control in my life,and not the pain controlling me
I will post back with the amount im on shortly

Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I think you meant you are taking Oxycodone for a short-acting (break-through), and OXYCONTIN for your LONG ACTING medicine. Oxycontin is an extended release form of oxycodone. They have the same active ingredient (oxycodone), the oxycontin is just the extended release formula.

So if you were taking 1600mg of codeine, you'd be at 160mg of oxycodone, like someone else said.

You could take Oxycontin 3x a day (best dosing schedule) at 40mg per day (120mg total). It lasts around 8 hours a dose, and most say it's best dosed T.I.D. (or three times a day), and 40mg of Oxycodone as needed for breakthrough pain (you could take the 5mg tabs or 10mg tablets of those).

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 06-24-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
(male)

len.b HB User

thank you
my doctor started me off with 10mg twice daily the 5mg for break through pain every 4 hrs,this did not work out.
went back and he uped it a little ,20mg 3 x a day slow release,and 10 mg for BT,
i am still having a tuff time i was hoping this stuff made my day better and could go on with work and regular things as every normal person does
what i did was taken a few more pills and felt like the pain was managed and it was at the 160 mg range,
we tried at first hydromorphone at 2mgs 5 x a day,that did not last 2 days ,we moved on to the oxycodone and oxycontin,its getting better,but this is were i need help last visit to him he suggested to go back to the codiene.
Im trying to find somewhere that i can print out to bring to doctors office to show him that the 160 is a starting place with new meds?
as the codiene just doesnt do the job anymore and im tired of being a guy that doesnt get around much.
this stuff will work just need the right amount

thank you again everyone if anyone has any info that i can bring to doc ,i thank you again

Old 06-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

So right now you're on 60mg of Oxycontin, and 10mg for breakthrough?

Hopefully he keeps titrating you up so you get more in that equivalent range.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
(male)

len.b HB User

Yes I take that and the 10 mg i take every 4 hours,6 total all together 120 mgs total
and when i was taking the codiene contin,he was giving me about 100 T3s every 2 weeks
1600 mgs daily codien contin ,plus the tylenol#3s
thank you all very much

Old 06-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi Len,

That is a he** of alot of tylenol you were taking daily - I think it is really a good thing to be moving to something else. I assume the T3's were for BT pain? If you have to go back to that he could go to the tylenol 4's yes?

I'd be really careful dosing a new medication. Because we all metabolize medication differently Dr.'s usually, when changing to a different med., will start a patient off at the low end. I've read 50% but I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule.

Sometimes by switching medication you get better coverage with the new med. (hits different receptors) and don't need to take the equivalent. Also, it sounded like you were taking more meds. on your own in order to go to work. If so just be aware that besides being possibly dangerous (if you don't know the way you will react to the new med.), many Dr.'s willbe upset and it could jeapordize your care. I've read that many people seem to be easily accommodated when it comes ot Oxy and can escalate their doses up very quickly.

Dr.'s have equivalant dose convertors in their reference books so I'm sure he looked things up. At least I hope he did!! LOL [REMOVED]
-please read and abide by the posting rules

Good luck//Chaz

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-25-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Please do not advise users to use search eninges

Old 06-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am jsut a bit confused here regarding the codiene contin?Though I have never heard of that stuff before,i am wondering why you would be taking any slow release type of med at 8 times per day??am I missing something?isn't the idea behind the 'contins' so that you are NOT having to take it through out the day?thats the part tht confuses me,which by the way,is pretty easily done these days,lol.just wondering why thats all.it just doesn't make alot of sense to me.could you please explain??hope you have good luck with the oxy now.thanks,Marcia

Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

The whole point of someone being on a slow release pain killer is so they don't have to take any quick release.If your still taking a quick release every 4hours then you need to be re-evaluated and either raise your current slow release dose or put you on a different sr pain killer.Your going to end up damaging your liver and maybe even get addicted if you keep taking that many pills every 4 hours along with your sr pain pills.Be careful and see your doctor asap....Dave

Old 06-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by len.b
in the last ten years i was taking 1600 mgs of codien contin ,200 mgs pills 8 x a day!
I agree with the others, something is amiss here. I did some research on "codine contin" and it is a Long Acting medication that is supposed to last 12 hours. I have a hard time believing a doctor would prescribe an LA med in such a manner. I am not doubting you, but this doctor needs seriously assesed in his methods of prescribing.

From what I have read 200 mg of codeine phosphate is equivalent to 20 to 30 mg of morphine sulfate during chronic dosing. So roughly speaking in terms of morphine that's about 160 - 240 mg of morphine (yes I know you are taking oxy, just punching in numbers so someone can equate that back to the oxy). The suggested max dose is 4x's a day for those dying of cancer.

Anyhow, apparently your dosage is much lower than what you were on and hopefully your doctor will titrate you up appropriately and additionally actually prescibe the medication in the manner in which is is supposed to be used in terms of the LA medication.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Codeine Contin must be rough on the stomach. I think you said it's staight, so I presume that's without tylonal; but what an unusual drug, maybe you're in Canada or Australia or something like that as I've never heard anyone talk about that drug on these boards. It's certainly sounds better that you're moving across to the Oxy especially the long acting. This is a much more stable way to treat pain. I find that the doses last between 6 to 10 hours. and take 3 doses a day. It's trial and error at 1st.

Welcome to the boards also, I hope you find the answers and ongoing support that you're looking for.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

The codeine contin plus 7-8 T3's a day would actually take you up to about 1800mgs. a day.

I know that there is no ceiling effect for opioids, but I've also read that codiene has a ceiling effect at 300=600mg/po.

Regardless I think most agree you will be better off on something else!!

Good luck//Chaz

Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
(male)

len.b HB User

--Removed--

Ok still having problems need help,doctor did say we can try something knew wich was a few months back and as of 1 month ago we tried hydromorphone 2mlg 5 x a day wich did not help any bit went threw them like nothing went back and told him then we started oxycodone and BT meds oxycontin 10mgs and 5 mgs,did not work ,then we upped it3x 20 mgs oxycodone and every 4 hrs 10mgs oxycontin.
I need help because this aint working neither atleast with the codiene contin the pain was a little dull
2 herniated discs thoracic spine work related
carpal tunnel both wrists failed surgerys work related
also groin problem major pain in some tuby thing that attaches to testicle!
I am tired of the pain its been a long time with these problems
so again i upped my meds and found a comfort in my dose wich is alot higher then i am on, i guess i am going to be put back on my old meds codien contin 200 mgs 8x a day,my guess and then go threw the old grind again,work then lay down and dont move till next day!
I say it would take about 180 mgs of oxycodone to have a better day and be family friendly,and do normal things
What is so powerfull about this codien contin stuff that i need doses like these is this out of the norm?

last resort is there anything that i can ask my doctor to try out so that i can be a able body

thanks for letting me vent a bit i guess
this is frustrating
thank again everyone

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-26-2006 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Please do not post links to photos or links to search Engines. Please honor your User Agreement.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Quote:
then we upped it3x 20 mgs oxycodone and every 4 hrs 10mgs oxycontin.
I think you've got to have that backwards. I would think your Oxycontin would be the 20mg 3x a day and the oxycodone short acting would be the every 4 hours.

I think you're getting your meds confused.

The Oxycontin you have is probably the generic and says something like Oxycontin ER.

If your doctor is prescribing that way, color me very confused... it's definitely a backwards way of prescribing medicine.

Closed Thread