It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
(male)

Wonderful Life HB User
Switching to long lasting pain medicine

I tried searching for my last post but could not find it, it was a month or so ago. Sorry to have to make a new one, I'll try to keep it short.

As i said in my last post i am a paraplegic with chronic left side/flank pain, back pain due to scoliosis and rods, also shooting pains.
I am pretty much in pain 24/7 but the severity varies greatly from about a 3-4 to maybe an 8-9 on a 1 to 10 scale. Its funny how you grow used to pain, I am quiet certain that the pain I rate at 3 many would rate much higher for others, so I really don't know why doctors use the system, but anyways.

I finished college after my accident and due to my father suffering a brain aneurysm I was forced into getting a job to keep the family bills paid.
I was on oxycontin for a while but was trying to do the best i could at work so I requested my old doctor to switch to an as needed percocet.
I learned to push through the pain, trying my best only to take medicine when it got the point of nashing teeth/uncontrollable jerking ect.

But despite my best efforts I am tired. I am sick of feeling like crap every day, I am tired of being in tons of pain and telling my self, come on make it one more hour just one more then you can feel some relief.

I am going to request going back on oxcontin. I just hate being a "drugy". People in my office joke "he don't care he's on too much medicine to know". All my friends know about my medicine and while they mean no harm, they make comments like I enjoy or its a fun/good thing to be on medicine. But in reality I would love to be normal, I remember how sharp my mind used to be and I would give anything to be back there again.

But I must face the facts, I need medicine. Its been a long time since i was on oxycontin, I have been taking 3-4 percocet 7.5/500 a day, but as I said that was just the very minimum I could take to get by.

What mg of oxycontin should I be looking for and also Is percocet good for break through pain? I have had oxyIR in the past is it better?
Thank you all for you help. sorry i guess i failed at keeping it short.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User
Re: Switching to long lasting pain medicine

I use 30 mg Roxicodone for bt. That is similar to Oxy IR and frankly, it is the only thing that gives me relief. The 100 mcg Duragesic patch barely does anything. 120 mg a day of Kadian and 200 mg a day of MS Contin also did not help.

OxyContin is supposed to be a very good l/a med. My Pain Doc will not rx it.

As for those morons who think that being on opiates is nirvana, let them go through the pain we do day after day and see how much crying they do.

Being on opiates does NOT make you a "druggy". Does taking insulin make a diabetic a "druggy"?

As far as how much OxyContin you will need, let's leave that up to the Doc.

Alan

Old 06-26-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
(male)

Fibbles HB User

A friend of mine thinks I'm living the "ultimate dream" because I take Morphine daily for pain (mostly for the pain caused by my bone disease and deformities). I've also had some problems with my family about the medication, especially my aunt. She loves to look at me and "notify me" that I must not be in pain if I'm acting happy or am not in the fetal position crying. It comes with the territory as so many don't undersatand that it's not taken for fun or as an escape, but rather that it's needed for some of us to enjoy and to be able to be active in our own lives.

I'm lucky that my dose of Avinza (24 hour time release Morphine) works very well and drops me from a constant 8 down to a 2-3 on the pain scale. Switching to a long asting med was the best thing that could have happened I went from getting 30 percocet every few months from various doctors to being on the Avinza and have been for 3.5 years (I actually started with Fentanyl, but had issues keeping the patch on). It really did help when I was able to take out the "clock watching" part of taking the Percocet. I would almost wait for the pain relief to end just so I could plan on when I'd need the next, but then it was almost useless itself because it was always given to me and I have a huge tolerance to it.

I started the Avinza at 30mg, comming from a 50mcg Fentanyl patch. I stayed on 30 for a short while, then went to 60, then within the year I was up to 90. I stayed on 90 for 3 full years until this past April when I was upped by another 30 to 120mg. For some people, the Avinza only lasts 12 hours, but it seems to last the full 24 and sometimes, past the full 24 for me (I'm almost 8 hours off of it, but it still feels like I'm getting pain relief). My doctor has been very flexible on how I feel I should take it, but so far, every 24 to 30 hours is usually the best for me.

I still take Percocet for break through, but am thinking of asking for something else because it's still pretty ineffective. Since I increased to the 120mg dose, I haven't bothered with the Percocet and I really like that. It feels good to have managed pain control

Old 06-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User

Dear Wonderful Life - You deserve and have the right to make the best of your life given all that life has handed you (and by the sounds of it you are playing your hand marvelously!) If it means you need to use LA opiate pain meds to improve the quality of your life or even just to make it manageable - well then so be it. One thing I found working with my co-workers as I go on and off different meds (opiates and others that have noticeable side-effects) is that I educate them a little as I go. I explain to them how this stuff works and tell them that despite common misperception I am not walking around stoned or high and that often I am struggling with a fair amount of pain to boot. One of my friends made a reference to me that I was like the doctor on the T.V. show House, always taking vicodin. I explained how what I was doing was different than what they saw on T.V. although the underlying issue of chronic pain that the T.V show was trying to tell the story of was the same. I explained that I couldn't take as much as I wanted whenever I wanted like Dr. House does. Unlike you though I haven't been able to get to LA meds myself as I have no clear diagnosis for my pain , so instead I ride the rollercoaster of on again - off again pain, followed by a constant trail of frustration...

Anyway, don't be afraid to put yourself first, do what you need to - you have a whole group of people here who know the truth of the matter and support you in this!

Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi all,
I don't understand people. My friends say wow 8 norcos a day you shouldn't feel ANYTHING. But that is not true. I still feel pain and i am never high. I feel just like i did before minus some of the pain. And please don't feel like a drugy, you do need it , not to get a high but to be able to live some kind of live. I am like dog i wish i could get la meds. because i still feel at lot of pain and my meds don't work for 6 hours like they should.I take 2 10mg tabs 4 times a day.Don't get me wrong i am better than i was ,and i know in time my dr will put me on la . I am a new pt i have to build trust i guess. Anyways please let us know what happens .take care,kelsey

Old 06-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
(male)

Wonderful Life HB User

First of all thank you all for your replys and its good to know there are others out there with the same day to day issues.

I had a wonderful dr.'s visit. I was nervous going in and requesting a LA drug in fact my blood pressure was evelvated at his office, which it never is.
The doctor was totally understanding in fact he said he would rather I be on an LA than takin 3-4 percocet a day which contain tylenol and have ups and downs. He feels that oxycontin got a bad reputation that it does not deserve and is a great option for ppl like myself. He is starting me out on a relatively low dose for the first month but I am keeping my percocet for b/t, after a month we will re-evaluate and see if it needs increasing.

He did take me off lyrica, as I have not seen any changes with it except weight gain and a fatigued feeling.
I am just so happy, I have a hope that starting today my quality of life will be better.

P.S. I just noticed that I got the off-brand oxycodone cr. Do most ppl feel they are close to the same quality.
I know when I switched from percocet to the off brand I thought it didn't do as well, but it might have just been in my head since I knew I was getting the cheap stuff.

He didn't give oxyIR for my bt, but I only mentioned it in passing of how well it worked in the past. Maybe next month we can discuss it.

Michael

Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

Many times on this board I read stories of a cp'er who put him/herself in wd simply because someone-a friend, a relative,a stranger-made some kind of stupid comment about taking opiates.

The bottom line is that we are not living for these other people-and they are not the ones feeling the pain-WE ARE!

So next time someone makes a stupid, uninformed comment, let it go through one ear and out the other. Believe me. if they hurt as much as we do, they would be crying for their opiate scripts immediately!

Alan

Old 06-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

i am so happy your pain will be manged better. I was wondering how long have you been on perocets?I want to ask my dr for la but i feel like i need to be going to him for a little while before i ask.Because just like you i watch the clock and i am usualy in pain for about 2 hours before i can take my meds. kelsey

Old 06-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
(male)

Wonderful Life HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey1
i am so happy your pain will be manged better. I was wondering how long have you been on perocets?I want to ask my dr for la but i feel like i need to be going to him for a little while before i ask.Because just like you i watch the clock and i am usualy in pain for about 2 hours before i can take my meds. kelsey
I have been on percocets or hydrocodone pretty much for 5 years. Took oxycontin for a while and also tryed a duragesic patch for a month or two.
I have been with my current doctor for about 2.5 years.

For the first 3-4 years I tried TONS of diffent medicines and had tons of scans/tests/therapy/referrals etc. Every visit it seemed like I would get a new med to try and another scan to take. For the time I think managing the pain with LA meds is the best they can due, but there is always hope of new medicines/advances to come.

Closed Thread