It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

Stress2006 HB User
Question Any Required tests when on Pain Meds???

Hello Everyone,

If the Dr. has you on pain meds, should he/she require you to take a certain test every 6 months or whatever, to make sure the pain meds are not damaging the inside of your body?

Meaning, everytime you goto the Pain Management Dr. are they required to take your blood pressure, get your body weight, and run other tests.

To explain what I'm taking...currently I'm on DURAGESIC which has fentanyl and I wear 2 patches at 100mg each, for a total of 200mg and apply new ones every 2 days. Also take 30mg ms contin 2x aday. I weight 150 lbs. I know the patch is for a 3 day, but my Dr. has told me to wear it for only 2 days.

If the Dr. is required to have certain test done, what would some of them be?

Sorry for writing so much, Im just trying to get a better handle on this.Thanks so much for your time and help,

Lisa

Old 06-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Re: Any Required tests when on Pain Meds???

Very good questions!
Typicaly they accept labs "the books" from other docs and generaly you are refered to a pain doc to handle the pain meds.
In my case i have a team of docs and labs i get every month from my Rhumotolgist she faxes all the results to my pain doc.
When i have the bad bouts they talk with each and decide together what the next step may or may not be .
Do you have a primary doc, that refered you to your pain doc? If so that might be a wonderful suggestion to call their nurses office and ask the nurse.
Since many of us are on different things being treated for different chronic issues it would be hard to say which tests they would run and or suggest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

It is a good idea to have your kidneys and liver tested every 6 months when on medication for long periods of time. It's a simple blood test and you will want the full panel done. Some doctors do the smaller panel of only 4 different tests and it does not always show actual dysfunction if not looking for the appropriate things. My Rhuematologist usually orders my tests and I have found that whenever I have my tests done via my GP's office my Rhuemie always sends me back to the hospital for additional panels that my GP doesn't test for. Needless to say I go to the hospital now to have the bloodwork done to ensure the appropriate tests are done.

Additionally studies have shown that women who take opiates/narcotics can often times have an increase in Testosterone and decrease in Estrogen and Males may have a decrase in Testosterone and an increase in Estrogen, so some doctors will also do a general hormone check.

Barbie

Old 06-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
(female)

cactuslily HB User

As stated, Routine bloodwork is important, as drugs are metabolized through the kidneys and liver. However, can you tell me why your Dr has you changing patches every2 days? These are very expensive drugs (patches), adn I don't see the point of changing them earlier? I'd be very curious to know your Dr.s rationale. Please let us know what the outcome is to this question. Hope this finds all well, and little pain all around...cactuslily

Old 06-29-2006, 04:31 AM   #5
(female)

mrscoop HB User

Every time I go to the PM doc's, he does a full physical (BP, range of motion diognostics, etc.). He is very thorough, and will refer me for blood tests, eic. if needed. A good doc won't just write scripts and send you off.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Lisa-
Hello! Everyone else has already given you some great advice and brought up some really good points. I just wanted to tell you that my pm doctor told me that he would rund periodic checks to make sure my liver and kidneys are functioning properly. After reading the other posts, I'm going to ask if he is going to run the more thorough one as opposed to the less thorough 4 panel screen. That was a very interesting point.

I hope you are having a good day.

Lezlee

Old 07-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
(female)

Stress2006 HB User

Hello everyone,

Well I can honestly say that I have a screwed up PM Dr.! Reason...well he never once checked my wieght, done a blood test, checked my blood pressure, etc....and I have seen him for maybe 3 years.

I have had my blood test done once in a while by my regular Dr. and the PM Dr. would see the report...but I'm feeling like he should have done alot of these tests on his own and on a regular visit....no?

As for why he is saying to wear patch for only 2 days instead of the normal 3 days, is because when I complained of still having pain, he suggested to try wearing for only 2 days...he said that a few of his patinced are having great success with this method.

Thanks again for all the help
Lisa

Old 07-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi Everyone: On the changing of the patch topic, I just wanted to mention I was on the Duragesic patches about three years ago for a period of time and I also changed every 48 hours. I think that has become pretty much the way most CP patients are dosing now. Although they say the patch lasts three days, most folks can't get three days of coverage from them. I know I could tell when my coverage started to drop off and I think the majority of folks who are on the patch are the same. Most now change every two days rather than three.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User

TESTS???

I have been on Avinza for 7 months and had one blood test. You have brought up a very interesting point and I will discuss it with my dr. next week.

One thing of interest was that in my blood test he said I was negative for morphine or demerol. I think he believed Ligand when they said Avinza was good for 24 hours.

Not having any morphine in my blood is important to me for another reason and that is driving. I would not want to have an accident and have them find morphine in my blood. I might not be able to get a driver's license or insurance after that.

Good luck.

Closed Thread