It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

shaedy HB User
Exclamation Physical Therapy too much!

Some of you may know me from my posts about my ACL surgery. Well, I told my pain management Dr. that I wanted to start tapering from my pain meds because it was starting to feel better. Well, that was before I started Physical Therapy! I went Monday and it was not that bad (1st session) but tonight OMG! I don't think that I have felt that much pain since I stood up for the first time after my surgery. So these past couple of days I have had to take more of the 7.5's that he gave me. I was supposed to fill my 5/500's Monday, but I am not going to have enough 7.5's to last me a week or even until I can fill my 5's. I am not good at gaging how many I will need (I am coming off of the 10/325's 5x per day) and it is really hurting now. What should I do???? I have been flagged for filling my prescription too early a couple of times because I don't know how many to take. I just take them when I need them. Arg. Thanks so much for any help I can get.

Shae

Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Physical Therapy too much!

Shae-
I can't speak for anyone else, but if you have been flagged already for filling medications early, then please be very careful and be extra sure to read the directions on the label and follow them to the letter. I had a friend whose doctor released her because she was filling her prescriptions early, and now she can't get in with another pm doctor.

As far as physcial therapy pain goes- that is to be expected. My only advice is that you should let your doctor know about the increased pain you are having. It's not uncommon for pain levels to increase when going through physical therapy. I'm sure it wouldn't suprise him that you are having increased pain. I can't say how your doctor will choose to handle your increased pain, but it's worth a try to call him about it. I've been through at least 5 different rounds of PT and every time I had to start pain medications because it actually increased my pain before it started helping me. After a couple weeks of PT under my belt, it seemed that my body adjusted and my pain levels showed improvement.

I wish you the very best and hope you can get some help with this. Good luck in PT and please keep us posted!

Lezlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
(female)

countrykid HB User

My suggestion to you is call your doctor tell him how much pain you are in...you may be able to get a script to fill earlier if he changes your dosage....Just a point......if you are taking pain pills you really need to follow the prescription carefully....you can overdose which would cause you more problems....

Old 06-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi Shae

-------------
I have been flagged for filling my prescription too early a couple of times because I don't know how many to take. I just take them when I need them. Arg. Thanks so much for any help I can get.
---------------

Like the other posters said, if you have already been 'flagged' because you have been taking too many pain meds. you have to follow the Rx directions. Twice in three weeks is going to worry any Dr. alot. I don't understand when you say you don't know how many to take??

Like I mentioned before for something like an ACL much of the pain comes from the swelling and by far, the best way to get pain relief is icing it the right way and anti-inflam..

Good luck/Chaz

Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi ,
i would do like others suggested call your dr. I don't understand how you can even get your pres filled too early? Are you going to the same dr and the same phar? Because i myself can't fill any meds but at the most 2-3 days early because the phar won't fill them til you are sopost to get them filled. I ask the phar how early i can get a med filled because i was going out of town and they said 2-3 days never any sooner.... so please someone enlighten me,kelsey

Old 06-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

countrykid HB User

Kelsey
I know with most insurance companies you can refill your prescription after 85% of the medication has been used....as far as requesting vacation early refills I am under the impression that it is allowed 1x a year...now I have a pretty strict insurance carrier now state funded...and they don't let you do half the stuff other insurance will allow.....

Shae
If you are having trouble with always not having enough pills you need to speak with your doctor like i suggested before....unless your doctor feels there may be an addiction problem they are usually very good at making sure you are as comfortable as possible with the meds. To control your meds I might suggest to divide your pills into daily alloted doses...now what you don't use put in the next days dose...this way you won't run out too early..if you find that you can't make it without another pill I would then suggest to try and use something else along with your pill...I have used the Tylenol for Arthritis Pain as a extra kicker...I have found that during the day I can try and do something to help with the pain, heat,ice, massage...just to help not having to take too many pills...

Shae
With PT you will be alittle sore make sure you ket them know each day how you felt from the last PT...they may reduce or change your program...They may tell you to use Ice after the treatment and they may start using heat before they do your treatment to help loosen you up.
Biggest thing is always communicate...no one knows unless you tell them....

Last edited by countrykid; 07-02-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Chaswick HB User

Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Last edited by HBMod07; 07-01-2006 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Personal attacks, or apparent personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please re-read the posting rules.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

HI all, Kelsey, you are right, in my opinion, 1-2 days early would be all they would do without a fax from your doctor. My clinic allows a once a year vacation early fill for up to 1 week early, But then they assume you had some left over so your next fiill wont be for 5 weeks. To to original poster, I would go straight to my doctor, make an emergency appointment, and explain about the PT causing your pain to spike and you to run out of meds early, he/she may be able to adjust your meds so that that doesnt happen, or give you a stronger med just for your PT days. You can also go right to the horses mouth and tell the PT that they are causing you too much pain and maybe you can get a practitioner with a more gentle touch or they can leave off some things until you are stronger. My main advice is to take charge of your own care and lay all your cards on the table, its not just the best way, its the only way. Your Friend, Fabby

Closed Thread