It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

gdspoiler HB User
going to the PM for the first time next friday

I am just curious how things work and how the evaluation goes....

I have slight bulging disc S1, L1, L2.......badly bulging L3 and L4 and I am in quite a bit of nagging constant pain (lower back and legs the whole nine yards)

Just wondering on the procedures ....Oh it's a PM in delaware county, PA

Thanks

Last edited by gdspoiler; 06-29-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: going to the PM for the first time next friday

G-
I'm new here, but welcome to the boards. You have come to the right place because everyone here is very kind, and full of a wealth of useful information and support!

My first appointment with the pm doctor consisted of lots of questions regarding my medical history, lots of questions regarding the injuries/surgeries that caused my chronic and long term pain, and a general physical. My doctor had the records from my referring doctor several days prior to the first appointment, so he had already familiarized himself with most of my information. Unfortunately, my first appointment was also somewhat rushed as he had to leave town and therefore, had to get out of the office early.

I also had to fill out quite a bit of paperwork, so try and get there about 15 minutes early. I had to read and sign a list of the rules my doctor requires and had to sign a contract regarding controled substances/opiates. I am only able to get medications at one pharmacy and am not allowed to get prescriptions for narcotics from any other doctor for any reason.

I would highly recommend writing down and questions and concerns you have regarding your condition and what sorts of treatment options your doctor offers. This will help to avoid you forgetting anything important. Make a copy for you and a copy for your doctor. You can jot down notes and the doctors answers on your copy. It also helps to have any x-rays, MRI's and CT scans with you if your referring doctor did not send them a copy. The more background the pm doctor has, the better equipped he will be in finding the right treatment options to suit your needs.

Of course, all doctors and pain clinics have their own rules and their own way of doing things. Some rely on more "alternative" treatments, while others use a good combination of "alternative" as well as medication style treatment. They will probably be very specific with the requirements.

I am glad you were able to get an appointment with a pm doctor. Living with long term, chronic pain can be such an exhausting and debilitating experience. Please let us know how the appointment goes!

Best Wishes-
Lezlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
(female)

mshatch HB User
Wink Re: going to the PM for the first time next friday

Hey
I just wanted to say that you may feel a little ovewhelmed for your first visit but its all information that they need to know. I remember the first PM i was freaking out whaen I was handed nearly a book to fill out. Plus you have to have all of your medical records. It may seem overwhelming but its worth it, dont sweat it. Its just stuff they need for there files to keep them safe from all the regulations put on them for being in PM. After your first visit you should be a ok. Alot of docs have different patterns they follow. My doc now is very strict. She gives random urine test to see if there are any illegal drug use going on. But like I said its different everywhere. Just make sure you read the papers you sign completly. I know it sounds like alot but once you get over that first hump everything should go fine.

Best wishes
Mshatch

Old 07-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi all,

My rheumy had referred me to a Pain Mgmnt Doc (and it turned out someone I knew went to the same one & loved him). I also have spine problems: DDD, osteoarthritis, lumbar stenosis in L1 through L5, one herniated disc and one torn disc. I made my appt, which also seemed a bit rushed (but that's usually how it is) and he set me up for the epidural steroid injections. I had 3 shots over 6 weeks. The first 2 times they gave me a paper when I left with the doc's signature & instructions either to get another shot, or call in 1 week with results, or set up a follow up appt with the doc. Then when I got my 3rd & final shot (I was totally out of it due to sedation) while I was home later, realized there were no further instructions. So I ended up calling their office 3 times to ask what i'm supposed to do next. Each time they said they would check with the doc & call me back. Well, they never called me back so I assume this meant they never wanted to see me again. Even my physical therapist & regular doc thought at least he might have wanted a follow up appt to see how the shots worked. SO i don't know what that was all about, but I never went back. My shots wore off almost exactly one month after the 3rd shot and it was horrible. I also got a lupus flare up (and supposedly these shots arent' systemic , they stay in the spinal canal...which I find hard to believe anyway) The only thing I can think of is I got some unbearable muscles spasms that engulfed my entire back a few days after the 3rd shot...called this doc & they never called back (this was on a Friday). So Saturday I couldnt take it anymore & I went to a walk-in general care/urgent care center. I gave them the Pain doc's name & number and my rheumy's and they gave me a script for Flexeril and Tramadol and said they would call my docs on Monday to let them know. SO I wasnt hiding anything and I did not ahve any other pain scripts from the PM. Maybe this irritated them or something..

But so many other people do find good docs who are willing to help. I hope you can find the help and relief that you need

Old 07-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

gdspoiler HB User

Thank you for all your posts and stories they are a great help and it's nice to know you you have support here from you all......

I hope you all have a fun, safe, and pain free holiday....happy 4th!

I will keep you posted......

Thanks, Mark

Closed Thread