It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
(male)

texascritter HB User
texascritter

Hi everyone!!! I'm new to this section of the board. I've found that my problems are devided into seperate areas. There's my cervical spine, Pain and depression. I've discussed some of all of it on the spine board but I'm really looking for pain management information. My problem has been going on for about 9 months with pain steadly increasing over that period. I'm schuled for a nerve root block next week which could change my pain level dramitacly. I hope so anyway. My doctor is considering a pain clinic. He also does pain management. I don't understand the difference between the two. Anyone here go thru a pain clinic. You guys discuss alot of medications I'm not familure with. I've been prescribed alot of different ones. The only one that really had any real benifit as far as helping ease the pain was oxycottin. due to some circimstances beyond my control My doctor can prescribe it but workers comp won't pay for it unless it's prescribed by my ns. Anyway I know some things that help pain or seem to get my mind off of it like watching funny shows for example but I can't do that if I go back to work. I'm just looking for some answeres and ideas from others with cronic pain as to what roads you've been down and what works generally and what has'nt worked. I thought oxycottin was at the top of the pain management class. I guess I was wrong. All I really want is to get the pain under control so I have somewhat of a life. If surgery is an option in your opinions is that better than continued nerve blocks or long term meds treatment. I don't really like bandaid approchs if I can help it. I perfer a fix, but they have steps they want you to try before they will give you a fix if other ways don't work Thanks for any advise I can get from all of you. It looks like an excellent group over here. Glad to be a part of it..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: texascritter

Hi JimJagan - Welcom to the Board - Can you explain in more detail what kind of pain you are dealing with? I understand that it's back pain, but do you have a diagnosis yet? If so, what are the doctor's recommending to solve the problem? What tests or xrays have you had? The back sure is a complicated part of the body and there are hundreds of opinions on how to resolve the aches and pains. Please elaborate if you can. KathyMac

Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Hello Jim and welcome to the board!

As I mentioned in my post to you on the Spinal Cord Board there's basically two types of "pain management". one being an actual doctor who prescribes medications and different modalities to help you control your pain and the other is an actual Pain Management Class or course. For pain that is chronic and long lasting I really suggest going both routes. Because you are going through WC this does somewhat limit who you can and can't see.

There are many different types of medication used to control pain. Oxycontin is one of the ones you hear more about that others but doctors also use Fentanyl, Morphine products, Methadone etc. Much of what you are given is really based often on what the doctor is comfortable in prescribing.

Many doctors will not prescribe Oxycontin because it has such a bad "rap" in the media due the the vast amount of abuse that has occured over the years by individuals who are not truly in pain.

The goal is to control pain with the least amount of medication. It is not the goal to relieve pain 100% because at some point this will no longer be realistic for you and your condition.

There are other modalities to keep in mind and try such as injections/epidurals etc. These are about 50% effective it seems. I think much of it is based on your actual condition and the degree of damage to the affected area. In your case the cervical spine. I did not find them effective.

TEN's untis, electrical stimulation, can be helpful in blocking the pain to a degree or at least it gets your mind off the pain. It too is not always 100% effective. I think it's pretty good for some types of pain but not others. It's one of those things you don't know until you try.

Lidoderm patches are another type of medication that can often be used. Basically they are lidocaine, a numbing medication, that is in a gel patch. They are effective for muscle and nerve pain but not always bone pain.

Then of course there's the non evasive or non medicine based modalities such as physical therapy, traction, massage therapy, biofeedback, meditation, guided imagry etc.

I think that the key to pain management isn't so much the medication itself but finding a doctor who is willing to use different modalities allowing you for multiple tools and ways to cope when you have chronic pain and when flare ups occur.

Best of luck

Barbie

ps. I wanted to mention there's a few "sticky" posts at the top of the board that you should read that might give you some insight on pain management itself.

Last edited by Kissa; 06-30-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
(male)

texascritter HB User

Thanks barbie for the info on both boards. I will check out the stickey notes and see what they say. I'm eventually going to get it all together and write a complete description of what i've been thru and where I'm at now. Ifeel like it would give the board members all the facts they need to help give their opinions. The hard part is not making it a book. Thanks again

Closed Thread