It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 01:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User
A'm i doing good on my dosage of meds. considering how long i've been on them?

Hi group! Its been awhile since i posted,i'm on vacation,its a nightmare,but thats another story.Anyway,i've been on oxycotin 80 mg tid for at least a yr,haven't been raised.During that time i've been doing nothing but trying not to be in pain.My friend is opening a little restraunt and i have a chance to work part time[3-4 hrs 5days a wk] no lifting or anything like that.I also take 15 mg of oxycodone 2xa day.I just saw my doc. on fri. and went on vacation[on it now] tuesday for 3 wks with my 15 yr old daughter.We will be doing things wich involve a lot of walking,so i asked my doc. if i could have one more oxycodone a day[3 all together] she thought about it and agreed.But when i get back[22 july] i will start work[try anyways] and i have to call my meds. in for a re-fill. They never let me talk with the doc[always real busy,and i understand] so i talk to the nurse.But what should i ask for when it comes to the oxycodone? Should i remind the nurse she put me on 90 a month[from 60 for b.t] and that i will be working part time? The reason why my doc raised it to tid was because i was going on vacation,plus the extra activity etc.I guess my question is-i've been on o.c 80 mg tid and oxycodone 15mg 2x a day for a while,is raising my b.t by one tablet to much to ask for?
I want to thank all of you who read this for your time,and sorry for carrying on and on and.... Mad.

Old 07-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: A'm i doing good on my dosage of meds. considering how long i've been on them?

M-
I'm no professional, but it seems to me that your pm doctor is a reasonable person. When you aksed if you could take 3 instead of 2 a day while doing so much walking on vacation, she allowed the increase.

I feel (and I am new with my pm doctor) that not only do you need to be able to trust your pm doctor, but the doctor needs to mutually trust you when you tell them that your pain levels are not being managed. If you are still in pain while taking the lower dose, then it would seem that some kind of change needs to be made.

Is there any way you can get a quick consult with your pm doctor before you start work? I know the nurses handle phone calls and take care of things without having the doctor return calls, but stress to the nurse that this is an urgent matter regarding you pain levels and the pain you are continuing to have. Explain in detail what you need and how your pain levels are still interfering with your day to day activities.

My pm doctor told me that if I had any problems whatsoever with any of my medications to let the nurse know exactly what was going on and exactly what kind of result I am looking for. This way, he can up my dose, down my dose, change a medication or call me in for a quick visit.

I'm sorry if this hasn't been much help to you. I am still new to all this, but I did want to let you know that I am here for you if you need support. I wish you the very best in getting your pain levels to an acceptable level that will allow you to live your life normally. (not that those of us in pain know what a true normal is any more)

Please let us know if you are able to get some help with this! I know other posters will be able to give you better advice about this.

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-01-2006 at 05:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Cool Re: A'm i doing good on my dosage of meds. considering how long i've been on them?

Hi Mad, I recetly had to ask my doctor for the same thing, could I please take 3 doses per day instead of two, She agreed, and I'm back walking some, no hills or un-even ground, but at least I can get up and showered and out of the house. I even go across the street to the pool at the college, I cannot swim unless I want to spend a month in traction lol, but I can walk back and forth across the shallow end and that gives me a good leg and cardio vascular workout. To me changing doses has to be about quality of life. If your quality of life is slipping into most days at home, not doing much, and an extra dose can even get you to venture out to your porch for a few hours, it is very much needed. Good luck to you and I hope your increase helps you as much as mine has helped me. Hugs, Fabby

Old 07-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User
Re: A'm i doing good on my dosage of meds. considering how long i've been on them?

Thanks for the feedback! I won't know until i get back from vacation if my doc. will keep me at tid on the oxycodone,i'll just have to wait and see.I have to say,just taking that one extra helps out a great deal.I know abuse is everyweres,but there is a great deal of abuse in my area.Before i left for vacation,i had to get my scripts. filled a day early,of course i asked my doc. and she said a day is no big deal,she said she had patients ask for refills a week or two early.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I wouldnt call the medicine "break-through" medicine if you're using it 2 times a day, everyday. I would just call it part of your routine. Break-through medication is used when a person experiences a flare of pain, as you know. If you have to rely on 2-3 SA oxycodones each and every day, your LA med dose isn't adequate.

I'm going to take a different stance and say I don't think she should keep the SA increased; however, I think she should evaluate the LA med and titrate higher or switch to a different med if you're having to take your breakthrough meds each and every day.. and now even need an increase in that.

Just playing devil's advocate. Either way, I wish you luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread