It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #1

WICHRIS HB User
MS and Very Bad Pain

Hello everyone , I just got diagnosed with MS two weeks ago. I have very
bad pain that is not currently relieved by gabapentin,lorazepam,baclofen
and vicodin. My neurologist appt is next week and he will be starting
Copaxone. I also started the application process for SSDI. I have worked my
entire life and am embarassed by applying,but the social worker at the hospital said it was best. I have no health insurance, lost my last promotion
at a new job because of MS symptoms and I wasnt there for 90 days yet to
qualify for extended sick leave.My life is now in health,financial ruin because
of MS and all the symptoms, entire left side of body completely numb,trouble
walking-fall a lot,right leg is starting to go numb,lots of trouble with memory,
thinking clearly-cant even balance my checkbook now,etc..by far the pain
is the worst and i just cant get relief...my spine feels like it is being crushed,
and i have bad pain in my shoulder and left leg and face sometimes. Should
I ask my neurologist about seeing a pain management dr? I would truly
appreciate anyones help with all of this. Thank you.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User
Re: MS and Very Bad Pain

Absolutely see a pain management doctor. They will have the best knowledge of what to try and most likely, you will need to be put on a combination of long acting meds with short acting meds for breakthough pain.

Vicodin is on the lower end of the pain med scale, and besides, for chronic pain, you are better served by using a long acting med with a time release mechanism as your base med as it will reduce the peak and valleys of pain relief.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I absolutely agree with Alan about getting a referral to pain management. It sounds like you are in so much pain and you deserve to be able to get adequate relief for that pain.

I know this diagnosis must have been a shock to you and it's going to take some time to adjust, but if you can get a good pm doctor and get your pain levels to a more acceptable level, your quality of life as well as your outlook on life should greatly improve.

Please get that referral and keep us posted. Everyone here has been so kind to me, so I know you will get wonderful support from everyone here in dealing with this.

Lezlee

Old 07-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

All the above advice to you is really the best,i am just wondering how they actually Dxed your MS and if you have had any second opinions on your Dx?did this all come on rather suddenly or was this progressing for quite some time?what were your very first symptoms?

i am just wondering as I know a couple of people with MS and their symptoms dont appear to be quite as dramatic as what you have explained here.this really could be something else entirely or a combinantion of two seperate issues,do you know what I mean?its just that your present condition appears to be rather severe at this point.i do think a second opinion would be at least a good idea just to be sure.i am in no way doubting your docs ability but in severe neuro cases like yours and presenting with such overwhelming symptoms,you really do need to be definitely sure that what Dx was given was truely the right one,you know?

I actually sought out three seperate opinions on my spinal cord cavernoma before i was comfortable with what I was told was actually accurate.a good pain management doc could help you alot more at this point than any other type of doc probably could ever do.your present condition and pain needs very specialized types of care and modalities to try and keep things down to a tolerable level.a long acting med Vs the vicodin you are currently taking would be a much better option,like was stated already,vicodin is pretty low on the list of narcotics to treat your level of pain.

i really would most definitely seek out a second opinion on your Dx,you just need to be sure,thats all.good luck.Marcia

Old 07-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I have MS and suffer chronic pain.I was diagnosed with progressive MS on June 1st and to add to it I have had 2 failed lumbar surgeries.

Don't be embarrassed about filing for disabilty,thats why its there.

Hopefully once you start the copaxone,you ms will relapse,mine does not.

A PM DR will help you manage the pain.I take baclofen and zanaflex and quinine for the chronic spasticity and oxycotin for the pain and vicodin for the break through.

At the present time I do not take any of the crabs,my decision,they have not been very effective on primary progressive MS.I have been trying a different approach using alpha liphoric acid,vitamin c,folic acid and a multi-vitamin without zinc,the mayo clinic has great response using the alpha liphoric acid and controlling nerve pain and it has help greatly.

Talk with your neuro and make sure he knows of the pain.MS effects everyone differently and the symptoms vary.

Toni

Good luck to you

Closed Thread