It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

TiaKins73 HB User
Question Surgery & Pain Managment

Happy 4th everyone. I am new here and my name is Tia, I have a question about surgery and painmanagment. I will post a little info at bottom but my question is I am having breast reduction and a lift and am on MSContin and Percoset for breakthrew for a long time back injury and chronic pain condition. I am worried with the meds my PD put me on that they will not be able to keep the pain undercontrol. I am scared of all the stories I have read about nurses thinking people are making up the pain or making it worse then it is. I want to be prepared. My Dr just put me on the MS about 2 weeks ago after months of other meds. I didnt want to take them at first but I am now functional. I also dont want to be miserable post surgery due to them. Anybody else know any advice for making sure this goes ok. SOmeone said that the surgeon told them to handle it threw PD and mine is hard to get into I dont want to not have what I need and not be able to get ahold of anyone either.

THanks in advance. Im glad I found this board. I have been reading for weeks!

tia

First hostpital stay for nerve pain 9years old. Many surgerys and a Hysterectomy at 25. Major car accident and missed epidural within 6 months of each other. Taking. MS Contin and Perc for BT. Nortriptiline for sleep. Prilosec for tummy issues. Phenegren for "fun house" effect of vertigo. Flexeril for back spasms. (jeeze I sound like a pharmacy). Have been on light Perc use on and off for about 3 years. (like 2 a day) then it increased over the last 6 months due to pain level getting WAY worse.!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Surgery & Pain Managment

Tia-
The most important thing is to be up front about the meds you are taking with your plastic surgeon who is doing the breast work. He/she needs to know before hand that you are on pain management. He may leave the post operative medication schedule to your pain doctor, or he may consult with him before doing the surgery.

Either way, it's best to let all parties involved know what's going on, so your pain management doctor needs to know you are having surgery too. He may want to handle your post op medication schedule.

I will be having a corrective surgery after having mastopexy (had that last Dec.) within a few months (minor adjustment because of symetry issues), so my pain management doctor and my plastic surgeon will be deciding what to do about post op pain management because I am on long acting pain meds now. Let us know how it goes and what the doctors decide. Best wishes!

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-04-2006 at 11:30 AM.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
(female)

TiaKins73 HB User

Thank you!, One good thing is that they are both in the same building and I got the surgery covered at 100% due to my PD going to bat for me about it and long term results. I am very short and very built!!

I think I may make an appointment my primary if I feel like the surgeon isnt listening I see him on Friday.

I am lucky reading these posts. I didnt ask for anything my Dr is the one that went after the pain issue head on. I feel blessed so far I dont have any complaints about her. I will get a contract soon she wanted to make sure we have the right amounts before sending it off to me in the mail to sign.

thanks again
tia

Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User

Hi Tia -
I think it's a great question. I had my gall bladder out last year and while I was working with a PM clinic, the main lesson I learned, as you suggest, is to make sure that everyone is on the same page regarding your pre and post op care. While I communicated to the surgeon, pre-op nurse and anasthesiologist what meds I was on, this somehow did not get communicated to the post op nurse, so I was in quite a lot of pain afterwards because they did not understand that I was opioid tolerant. So if I ever have surgery again, I am going to make sure I have a written plan for post op care, including recovery room care, that I can give a copy of to everyone involved, ESPECIALLY the recovery room team. That first hour or so can be pretty painful if they start you out on doses they would give an opioid naive patient.

Best of luck with your upcoming procedure,
Maine

Old 07-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
(female)

milimoki HB User

I had a breast reduction and lift( I am also short and tiny and had big breasts, and they were not comfortable.) I had almost zero pain from it. I took advil. I then went in and had implants (small size) because I didnt like the way they looked after reduction, I needed more firmness. I got a staph infection from this and that was very painful, and I needed pain meds for it. As far as the lift and reduction, I dont think you will have much pain, its not like they are going to cut the muscle. Most people dont have pain with that type of surgery. If you go with implants after, that will be painful. But everyone is different with pain level of course. As far as the nurses, they are by far the worst when it comes to pain med's. I had a nurse one time argue with me about giving me my pain med even though the Dr put in an order for med's every 4 hours. Nurses think everyone's system is the same and they tend to go by the book, when they should treat each person different. Good luck on the surgery, I am so glad I did mine, even though I developed a infection, it was worth it in the end. I hope you have no problems, try not to be to worried

Old 07-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
(female)

TiaKins73 HB User

Thank you, I am going to make sure they know my appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow. I am going to have 2 drains for 10-14 days due to the amount they are removing I am currently a 34E and am going to a 34C so its alot of removal. I hope it isnt to bad for sure. I think it sounds like I need to make sure who is handling it becuase one person says the surgeon will handle it and the other one says due to the pain managment that my primary will handle it all I know is someone had better. I so dont want to sit there and argue about it afterwards. I agree about nurses. I have had surgerys over the years and when I would call them in for my meds they would act like I just wanted them. I was like hello I have 90 staples for hells sakes. LOL. The nurse one time tried to send me home with a scrip for 10 vicodin after I had been on demerol for 8 days in the hospital.

Thanks again

Closed Thread